Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In transit for two weeks, I got the call yesterday morning from my salesman that the car has arrived and I could pick it up that afternoon after they "detail" it.

The detailing consisted mainly of washing it....the shine is ok, but not real smooth.....I'll be using a claybar this weekend. I have seen some circular watermark type things on the hood and a surface scratch there, but haven't gone over the car real close yet.....but I'll point these out to salesman today so he doesn't think I did them. There are three little stains on the passenger seat (two-toned, lite beige) that could be from a mechanic's dirty hand....I'll see if they clean up.

I went there on my lunch hour and drove it a few miles and picked it up after work. They had a local DJ and remote radio setup to draw people before I took it. Lots of interest and questions. I put about 75 miles on it so far and it is great fun.

You will hear drivetrain noises being you sit so close down in next to the transmission, etc.

Car is Deep and looks black in the daylight and blue in headlights....real nice color. I got the standard wheels (chrome wern't available at the time and aluminum are hard to maintain) they match the windshield trim perfectly and look great, but I'll be keeping options open for just the right set of after market rims. I had the dealer install the mudflaps and they should almost be required I feel since they look so good and protect the panels that are so esposed to the tires.

I'll post some pictures later......gotta go driving......

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Congrats! Another deep is delivered! :willy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats- looking foward to finally getting to see a solstice!!! Local radio stations have been talking about it all morning. Give me a call when things settle down.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Congratulations, enjoy the rides.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Congratulations toyman! Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
240 miles since yesterday

First of all....I'm in mid-Michigan.

Picked up car Mon. after work......only worked 1/2 day today......bright sunny day, gotta take advantage while I can......almost Fall.

Drove around town and took a long round trip......lots of looks and comments when they could talk to me......all positive.

Random observations: can't read gages in bright sun w/ top down, hat works better than sunglasses and doesn't blow off even at 80 MPH on freeway, I'm 6' 1 1/2" and 230-235......I fit snug, but well and got enough leg room. most times I go to fasten seat belt my right elbow hits the push-activated dual cupholder and it pops open.....there is no way I would touch radio on or off by shifting as someone else reported, the steering wheel has a cross member with radio controls on right and cruise controls on the left and when I wanted to cruise with my thumbs hanging on it and fingers wrapped behind, I'd turn off the radio or cruise and if I put my hands above in the 10 & 2 oclock position it is tiring and if I rest my elbows in the natural positions on door and transmission tunnel my elbows start to get irritated due to the hard surfaces.......enuf rambling about that.......the owner's manual is too big for the glove box.....don't try to slam the hood or trunk from a very high position, lower them and finish the job firmly. I don't care for the silver paint on the disc caliper holder.....want to paint it.

The car handles great and cruises well at 70-80 on X-way.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have trouble shifting?

I forgot to add that reverse gear is hard to shift into frequently.....I've tried from other gears and from neutral and have to let up and push back down the clutch frequently before it goes into gear.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this.......

Yes, I have lots of experience with stick shifts and the car is not moving.

·
Registered
936 Posts
toyman said:
The car handles great and cruises well at 70-80 on X-way.
Congrats hope you enjoy and I hope many of the others get their cars soon.

The owners manual says not to down shift to slow the car or drive over 70 for the first 500 miles. You might want to back it down alittle for the sake of long engine life. Of course it is yours so do as you please and enjoy. I have not had any of the transmission problem you mentioned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats # 242! Where abouts in mid-Mich. I'm from GR . Got ours 3 weeks ago and still haven't got the grin off our faces yet. We got the 1 st one in GR, there are about three in the area now. You will get comments from everyone where every you go. Its like your driving a UFO. My wife drove it across the Mackinaw bridge over the week-end and the guy at the toll booth stopped traffic just to get out to take a picture and ask questions. I think he is also waiting for one to come by his comments. Even the people backed-up were geeked to see it. Our traney makes a little noise but no reverse gear problems. We had a Miata before this and its traney was a bit more solid than the Sol. I'm not worried about it, it still preforms well. It could use more storage space but thats the nature of roadsters. All-in-all , very happy with it so far, as so you should be also. Enjoy, like you said falls coming! Vin #160/Black on black/Keep smiling. (PS-Post your accomplishment on the Vin and the list)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrats!
I've been waiting for my deep for only about 6 weeks and I'm losing my mind! I can't imagine how I'll be after several months like everyone seems to be saying. keep the driving details coming in - It really does help ease the pain of waiting, and waiting, and waiting. :lurk:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts