Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a phone call today from a friend of mine and he said that he had a Solstice on his lot and if I came right over that I could drive it. Needless to say, I was there in a flash. I even called my Wife and had her meet me there. This was a Red/ black leather.
Now before I tell you my impressions, I'm currently driving a 04 GTO 6-speed. But I did own a 99 Miata before that.
After driving the GTO with all that power, and now a 5 speed 4 banger, it was a huge let down. Now I know that you can't compare the two, but I'm not sure I want to give up the GTO. Wish I could have both, but thats out off the question. Maybe I'll just wait for the 240 hp version and see how I like it.
Compared to my 99 Miata, it seemed like it took forever to get to redline.
The sound system which I assume must have been the Moonsoon system sounded great and it was on XM.
The trunk was even smaller than I thought it would be.
The interior was bigger than my old Miata
The top did have some wrinkles but it wasn't that bad. And easy of operation I thought was good.
Now to top it all off, starting Nov.1, I will start my new job in Customer Service at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Dealership in my hometown that was just sold to my friend. I have always been a diehard GM fan from day one. So now I'm not quite sure what direction I will take!

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Solstice is a great Car!! We drove one at the auto show in motion and tonight we are going to the Dealers "Open House where they are suppose to have two 1k's and 3 or 4 pre-production ones that we can test drive.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Sol Survivor said:
The Solstice is a great Car!! We drove one at the auto show in motion and tonight we are going to the Dealers "Open House where they are suppose to have two 1k's and 3 or 4 pre-production ones that we can test drive.
take a look at the VINS, hopefully you will get this before you go :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I'm off to drive one at 6:30 tonight. I drive a Ford F250 so I expect I'll have some changes as well. Maybe mine will be in next week.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"Compared to my 99 Miata, it seemed like it took forever to get to redline."
It's strange how deceiving one's sense can be, when we know the Solstice is faster than the '99 Miata and a tad slower than the new Miata.
I agree, the Miata is TINY, and very cramped, unless you're rather short and rather thin.
I noticed this press release from Maxda concerning expected future sales of the Miata :

TOKYO -- Mazda Motor Corp. is predicting that Europe will replace
North America as the largest market for the redesigned 2006 MX-5 Miata.
It blames the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

At least we know they understand their problems with the new Miata,
which looks suspiciously similar to the old Miata, with more or less the same performance.

Wait till someone gives them the bad news about the Opel version of
the Solstice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
After thinking about it, Mazda is blaming the Kappa roadsters for
Miata sales in the future, but from all I can learn of the recent sales history of the Miata, their problems with slow sales began 5 years ago -
the past six year sales (US) have been 16K, 18K,14K,12K,9K and so far
4300 thru end of August this year(North American sales quote for this year,
includes Canada). I haven't been able to determine sales of the new Miata,
per se, but from what I see on EBAY of new '06 models offered by dealers, many don't sell or get bids, and dealers have Buy-It-Now prices of MSRP
or $1K below MSRP. My hunch is that the new Miata isn't doing any better than the previous version had been doing. Their problem now is that
the Miata is totally outstyled by the Kappa cars and is in danger of being outperformed. It also hasn't been effectively restyled since it first went
on sale - it's always looked more or less the same.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Obviously, the GTO is not a Solstice. Two different classes, two different buyers (not necessarily!!)

How about we have a race, 4th GTO? We race a quarter mile down the track, stop, and put our tops down. Let's see who wins THAT race!

But, I'm impressed that you're on your fourth GTO. It has a proud history.

·
Registered
936 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when driving a new Solstice is that they feel slow when they haven't been broke in yet and get much better as they brake in.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Funny how some people find the trunk to be smaller than they thought it would be... some some find the trunk to be bigger than they thought it would be.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fortimir said:
Funny how some people find the trunk to be smaller than they thought it would be... some some find the trunk to be bigger than they thought it would be.
Depends on whether the trunk is half full or half empty. :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got to drive a solstice last night in Avondale AZ. Nice car still have to wait about a year before I can afford one. :) Still can't decide what color I like best. Black, Red , White. Well at least I'm down to three colors now.
That was the first time I have seen one in the Flesh. it's actually a little bigger than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
GTO to Solstice

I personally own an 05 GTO and I have driven the Solstice many miles. I do not own one yet, but I will. As far as the comparisons between the two. I personally think that the Solstice wins in MANY categories that someone comparing the two would like to consider.

1. Price - at best the GTO is 10,000 more expensive than the Solstice.

2. Economy - Unless you havea six speed and you never use it, the GTO gets in the low to mid teens on gas mileage and you have to put Premium in order to get true performance.

3 Style - I love my GTO, but there is simply no comparison in style exterior wise. I have to say that interior wise the GTO does win however

4 Options - XM Radio, Onstar - Neither available on the GTO

5 Convertible - nuf said

6 Sound - The Monsoon system blows the doors off the 10 speaker Blaupunkt system in the GTO. I honestly do not know why, but it does.

7 Prestige/exclusivity - I would have to say that this is a tie. Atleast for the 05 GTO's. There are very few on the road and when you see them(assuming you know what they are) you have to respect that vehicle.
Performance is really the only thing that the GTO has a huge advantage over the Solstice. However I know of a few hundred ways to get some major performance out of the 10k that you save on the Solstice.

Bottom verdict - I will take the Solstice over the GTO, unless I am a performance NUT. <whispers "which I am">

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In a clear consience. I must also point out that the GTO does have a back seat and a trunk that Nix Sol can fit into. He proved me wrong on that one :lol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
dealernut said:
In a clear consience. I must also point out that the GTO does have a back seat and a trunk that Nix Sol can fit into. He proved me wrong on that one :lol:
It's True! And for my next trick I'm going to cram myself into the Solstice's trunk! (Pictures of that attempt on Monday probably)

·
Registered
230 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
To which funeral home do we send the flowers?

Another doubter eh? Now I have to people to prove wrong! I'll admit that my first reaction to the trunk was"man that's tiny" but everytime I've seen it since then (I've sat in/scrutinized 3 different Sols already, 1 Pre-prod, 2 Prod) it doesn't seem that small. I know I can fit!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts