Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GXP instrument cluster lens

Hi, I am new to the forum. Hopefully, very soon I will become one of the esteemed owners of the GXP. In fact, I am pretty close to buy one right now. Mysterious 07, pretty much everything factory stock with about 40k miles. Very good shape. There is one thing that is bothering me. The insrument cluster lens is in very bad shape. So, here are my questions:
Is there way to replace just the lens or the whole cluster has to be replaced?
Where you buy the lens or cluster? I assume GM dealer will charge arm and leg for this, are there other preferred sources? I would like to hear from people who did replace lense/cluster. How difficult it is to replace? Does it require special tools or reasonably technically inclined owner can do it himself?
All these answers will help me very much. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Assuming you are refering to the clear cover it is very easy to remove/replace. finding or ordering just the clear piece by itself may be the challenge but anything is possible.

The collision manual I have does not list a part number. It says instead to contact a dealer for ordering info. The diagram also only shows the cluster as a whole assembly (does not show the clear cover as a seperate piece).

What you might try is contacting a custom guage face company such as black cat custom that deals with this type of seperation on a full time basis. They make replacement guage faces for the Sol and Sky and might be able to lead you to a source for just the clear cover if not be able to order for you.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
It's the same cluster as a Cobalt, so if you can find one in a breaker's yard you could swap it out (just the lens).

HOWEVER... what's wrong with the lens? If it's just hazed or lightly scratched, it will be easy to R&R yourself. Just take the clear piece off, get some Scratch-X (or equivalent) from your local parts store and a soft microfiber cloth, and polish the heck out of it. It won't take more than 15-20mins of polishing (really pretty easy) and will look as good as new. Its similar to what folks do for yellowed headlight lenses, except the plastic is softer and so easier to polish.

(I scratched my own when taking the "boomerang" off once. Polished it and no trace remains.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum. Hopefully, very soon I will become one of the esteemed owners of the GPX. In fact, I am pretty close to buy one right now. Mysterious 07
we know you're new ;). i'm not familiar with that model. Does it have a spare in the trunk?? :thumbs:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GXP instrument cluster lens

To MF656174: Good catch, this is NOT GPX, just my dyslexia... no, no spare and unfortunately no tire repair kit, just straps. I will need to figure something out for that as well.
To Tomato Soup: It looks like somebody cracked the clear cover and then tried to glue it back but failed. There is blob of sime kind of epoxy on it, I am sure it is not possible to restore. The Cobalt idea: do you know what years are compatible?
If it will prove to be impossible to find the replacement I am considering just to take piece of Lexan of proper thickness and cut it using old cover as a template. I believe this should work. The original cover feels very thin and flexible. I just need to figure out how to disassemble the dash without breaking anything...

·
Super Moderator
16,268 Posts
The facia in front of the gauge cluster is glued on. You can pull it off pretty easily. Mine has been removable for two years. Makes it easier to clean. I clean and polish it without removing the dash or the cluster Give it a try.

To get the cluster out, you need to pull the boomerang. That is the silver dash piece that sweeps up from the center console and curves around over the steering wheel. You start by removing the front console, the grab handle, and the bottom trim below the steering wheel. Then you can take out a few fasteners and pull the boomerang out and rotate it up. There are indicators and switches mounted to the boomerang. You can lift it up enough to access the cluster fasteners with out further disassembly.

There are I think 4 screws holding the cluster. Pull them and disconnect the connecters on the back of the cluster and remove it. The face snaps on or off easily. You can use a good polish it make it new looking.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My DLO iPod Care Kit works very well in taking scratches out of and cleaning my GXP's instrument cluster lenses and the radio display. Follow the instructions for the iPod and you should be able to clean and polish it in place.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
To Tomato Soup: It looks like somebody cracked the clear cover and then tried to glue it back but failed. There is blob of sime kind of epoxy on it, I am sure it is not possible to restore. The Cobalt idea: do you know what years are compatible?
According to this site, the Cobalt/CobaltSS, 2005-up are all the same... Black Cat Custom Automotive - Cobalt - Cobalt SS Gauge Faces - LED Lighting Kit

If it will prove to be impossible to find the replacement I am considering just to take piece of Lexan of proper thickness and cut it using old cover as a template. I believe this should work. The original cover feels very thin and flexible. I just need to figure out how to disassemble the dash without breaking anything...
Plenty of posts on dash dis-assembly (search for replacing radios :) ) and it's really not hard. Having done it I could get it out in 10-15 mins tops. However, to just get to the clear panel, you only need to pop-off the chrome rings and pull out the gauge tunnels - just be careful that you don't knock-off any of the 4 rubber anti-vibration 'nubs' on the back of the tunnels. They can scrape off against the dash when pulling the tunnel assembly out and are tiny and a bitch to find again (don't ask).

The clear panel/lens is a molded part that clips on the front of the gauges. You could replace it with a curved piece of acrylic, but you have to work some way of attaching it in place. (Probably would end up removing the dash anyway and having to take the whole cluster out.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, Thanks for the advice, this forum is great!;)
Last week the deal went through and I brought this baby to my garage. What a car! My wife said I am crazy and have "mid-life crisis", but now when it is here she wants to drive it too! :lol: Thanks God the kids don't know how to drive stick so they won't touch it! The damn Nor-Easter storm left me without power for three days including weekend, but I was able to order salvaged Cobalt cluster from ebay. I received it tonight. The lens looks good but has some surface scratches that should be easy to polish out. So next weekend I plan lens transplant surgery:yesnod:.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
just adding to a thread that has been useful to me...

The NA part number for #23 is 15805581
while the GXP part number is 25837055.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts