Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a 2007 GXP 5 speed with only 3,000 miles but covered in vinyl. Upon delivery we were learned it may have been a pace car. Does anybody have any information in regards to this vehicles relevance? If is just another GXP the vinyl is coming off.

Thoughts?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Product Textile Sleeve Grey Font
Textile Sleeve Rectangle Gesture Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I've never heard of a Solstice Pace Car, but that doesn't mean it isn't real. The question is how anal are you about originality and provenance. If you can document that it was a pace car, then removing the graphics may hurt the value. Regardless, I just think it's cool that even after all these years that I'm still learning things about Kappa's.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I would look into this. I'm not quite sure that the Solstice would be fast enough, nor nimble enough to pace a Rolex field. There are certain speeds they must maintain so that the race cars don't overheat....espcially Rolex cars. Much like F1 (which must maintain at least 80mph around the track), Rolex cars also must maintain a certain speed. If this is a true pace car, I'm sure it would be worth north of $40k.

EDIT: I wonder if it wasn't used in the "Solstice series" that was televised for up and coming racers.

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
I would look into this. I'm not quite sure that the Solstice would be fast enough, nor nimble enough to pace a Rolex field. There are certain speeds they must maintain so that the race cars don't overheat....espcially Rolex cars. Much like F1 (which must maintain at least 80mph around the track), Rolex cars also must maintain a certain speed. If this is a true pace car, I'm sure it would be worth north of $40k.

EDIT: I wonder if it wasn't used in the "Solstice series" that was televised for up and coming racers.
I think that a GXP could easily pace a field. We once ran Watkins Glen at 80-90 MPH, and I was in my NA.

That said, there probably isn't any intrinsic value in the car due to it being a pace car, but it would be worth a title search to find out about its history. I would definitely do some research before stripping off the vinyl, since that could, in combination with other factors, add to its value.

Reactions: 4501 Safari

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I absolutely agree with the above comments...PLUS...to me, it is one of, if not the best design wraps I've seen on the Solstice. The heritage arrowhead in a design that makes one look twice. Remove it and it's "another silver Solstice", lovely none the less. Were it mine, I'd live with the graphic for a while. No doubts about finding it in the parking lot and not going to be easily stolen. Seems fitting this comes up as we approach Winter Solstice 2021 on Tuesday, 12/21.

May we see closeups of the fender lettering and views of the front and back? This is a visually striking car and seems tastefully done. Great find, again...IMHO.

Oh, and Doc...hell of a garage!

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,573 Posts
personally I like the graphics. I wouldn't remove them. what a find you have there. wish I had it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The garage is not mine, that is the dealer showroom.

Title shows it was auctioned by GM in 2009 to the previous owner.

I am thinking it was more of a courtesy car than a pace car, but thought maybe somebody would know for sure before I plugged in the heat gun. I bought it to drive it but wanted to make sure it wasn't something special to someone before I turn it into another silver solstice.

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Automotive tail & brake light

Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Interesting. Auction also listed by CarFax
12/08/2008, MI, Auto Auction, Reported at auto auction as manufacturer vehicle

Also checked the RPO list, but fount nothing special.

I have seen that kind of paint job before . . . let me browse my files . . . first only found a coupe, and then this . . . .

I have no idea where these photo are taken. Hopefully someone recognizes the venue / track, According to the EXIF data the date was 6-6-2008 11:33 for the first photo and 26-5-2007 00:40 for the two photos below. There was no GPS data in the EXIF.

I wonder, are there any changes made to the car? I assume a pace car would have modded fuel tank, seat belts, roll cage (obviously not) etcetera . .

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
I have no idea where these photo are taken. Hopefully someone recognizes the venue / track, According to the EXIF data the date was 6-6-2008 11:33 for the first photo and 26-5-2007 00:40 for the two photos below. There was not GPS data in the EXIF.
There was a Grand American race at Lime Rock on the appropriate weekend in 2007 and at Watkins Glen in 2008.

Reactions: RedOne07

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have seen that kind of paint job before . . . let me browse my files . . . first only found a coupe, and then this . . . .

I have no idea where these photo are taken. Hopefully someone recognizes the venue / track, According to the EXIF data the date was 6-6-2008 11:33 for the first photo and 26-5-2007 00:40 for the two photos below. There was not GPS data in the EXIF.

I wonder, are there any changes made to the car? I assume a pace car would have modded fuel tank, seat belts, roll cage (obviously not) etcetera . .

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
233 Posts
The tan building with green roof looks like it could be a Lime Rock building. I'd keep the graphics.

Reactions: 4501 Safari

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would also keep the graphics, it has some history to it. I think they were "Ride Along" cars to give VIP's rides arounf the track at speed with a professional driver. I don't think they are pace cars. Pace cars usually have extensive light packages on them, along with other safety mods.

But I think it is a great find. Congrat's!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Old thread talking about the 2007 Grand American Rolex Sportscar Series. You can see the Solstice shares similar graphics with these other Pontiacs. Pontiac introduces another GXP-R and this one will race.
View attachment 117445

View attachment 117446
I am sorry about that. I guess you did not pay the forum fee this month :)

Try these . . .

https://i.postimg.cc/XNhXVWhF/A1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/WbkzzKLy/B1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L8FX1Tm8/B2.jpg
Awesome Pics. The dude in #2 looks like he is definitely having a GREAT ride.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
399 Posts

I have no idea where these photo are taken. Hopefully someone recognizes the venue / track, According to the EXIF data the date was 6-6-2008 11:33 for the first photo and 26-5-2007 00:40 for the two photos below. There was no GPS data in the EXIF.

Never thought I'd say these words, but the silver looks better than the black. I'd keep the graphics. Cool as hell.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
The more I look at your car, and now with the historical context, were it mine I'd have to keep the graphics. It is unique, tasteful and plain damn good looking. You won't run into another at a cars 'n coffee but if you do strip her to ordinary silver and see the black one at a Concours in the future...well.

Have a great Holiday and think about keeping the graphics. Put that heat gun back in the holster for a while. You've caught the attention and imagination of some pretty dedicated Solstice forum members. Again, well done.

Richard Snipes

1 - 20 of 42 Posts