Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this thread I hope to promote a new forum (Great Drives) for the site. Most of the “other” car sites that I frequent across the web have plenty of forum space dedicated to the pursuit of exterior modifications, performance additions, car care, and a fair number of other car related things. The one activity that I never see any discussion of, is where folks drive their rides. I mean, that is why we buy these things, right? Anyway, what I had in mind is for now we talk about places, or more importantly roads to these places that we have come to love and drive (whatever we own now while we await the Solstice) to blow out the cobwebs. I would also like to hear about the many great roads across this vast and beautiful country. I hope the rest of you will take this tread to heart and give us a good tale about the places you drive as well as places you hope to drive. Maybe the powers that be (Troy) will also be inspired to provide a place for this kind of discourse. What do you think? Comments?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I like the idea. I think we discussed this some time ago in another thread. Maybe it was one where we got off-topic (seems like we do that alot). I think it was "what is the first thing you're going to do when you get yours?" or something like that.

Being in the military, I've had a chance to move around the country quite a bit. So far, the best roads I've been on were around Monterey, CA. The PCH between Carmel Valley and Big Sur is a nice one. There's also some roads out of Half Moon Bay near Santa Cruz that lead to Alice's Restaurant (I think highway 9 is one, maybe highway 17 as well? It's been a few years). I had a sportbike while I was there, and had to sell it when I got to my next duty station because I couldn't find any roads to compare to those rides.

Then there's Deal's Gap. Maybe someone else would like to bring that one up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Legend says... a dragon lives in the mountains of Tennessee and western North Carolina. The curves, twists and turns of his tail, along with a fiery bite if you get too close makes it the most famous motorcycle/sports car road in the U.S., having 318 turns that are compressed into only eleven miles. Deal's Gap, the name that many enthusiasts know the the DragonTail by, is actually the name of the gap between the mountains that US-129 follows. At least once in your lifetime you have to make this pilgrimage, you will be rewarded with a ride no roller coaster can match!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Nice idea! It could be something that is worthy of its own forum. Maybe Troy will be willing to create a forum for this purpose just to see how it goes anyway! We'd have to see how much staying power a dedicated forum like that would generate, or whether it would be basically a dead forum. But it might be worth a shot!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Are yawl stealin' my thread? Well, more power to ya. I love finding great roads to drive, as most of the ones around Dallas are boring as hell. Just visited family in Cincinatti, and drove through Kentucky/Tennesee. Made me jealous. By the way, 60 Minutes was right, the worst drivers in the world ARE in Nashville.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Being in the military, I've had a chance to move around the country quite a bit. So far, the best roads I've been on were around Monterey, CA. The PCH between Carmel Valley and Big Sur is a nice one. There's also some roads out of Half Moon Bay near Santa Cruz that lead to Alice's Restaurant (I think highway 9 is one, maybe highway 17 as well? It's been a few years).
I think PCH (Pacific Coast Highway 1) is a great road. If you really want to work out your Solstice, take a week and drive the whole thing. I've never done the whole thing, but I think it runs the entire coast of California.

The ride to Alice's is also great. I can't remember the highway and road names, it's been a while, but I'm sure I could do it from memory. Sometimes there are too many Harleys out there clogging the road, but it's fun. On the weekends Alice's is bike show and has good hamburgers too. I wouldn't recommend highway 17 though, major truck traffic, lousy pavement conditions and way too much traffic in general.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I guess we could give it a try. I'm not sure if it will get enough traffic or if it should be in the General section but, hey, it doesn't hurt to try. It will be pretty cool if it works.

I'll get it setup tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of my favourite drives in Ontario...

...is Peterborough County Road #507 east of Haliburton running south between Gooderham and Buckhorn. Lot's of lovely twisty bits, little traffic, and great scenery. I can't think of a better way to spend a perfect autumn afternoon when the fall colours are at their maximum with a nip in the air and the smell of woodsmoke from a log cabin's chimney, taking a nice, descending right-hand sweeper down into the valley in a great roadster like the Solstice (unless of course it were cruising along at 3,000 ft. in a PT-17 Stearman biplane on the same sort of day!).

Cheers,

Neil

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ThinkingManNeil said:
I can't think of a better way to spend a perfect autumn afternoon when the fall colours are at their maximum with a nip in the air and the smell of woodsmoke from a log cabin's chimney, taking a nice, descending right-hand sweeper down into the valley in a great roadster like the Solstice (unless of course it were cruising along at 3,000 ft. in a PT-17 Stearman biplane on the same sort of day!).
Going to need to be closer to 500 to 1000 ft to smell those chimneys! :D Keep it safe though. :cheers

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
There are many roads to drive in Northern Ontario,like 86 up, towards Barrie. HWY 20 going up to hwy 21 and Port Elgin. But my favourite is the Bluewater Highway from Wallaceburg to Sarnia along the St Clair river. The scenery is lovely and the smells well there ok until chemical valley. :lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts