Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first post to this forum. Unlike so many forums ive been to, the members here are so much more relaxed, they are less about 'putting down other cars to make theirs fell beter' and more about 'enjoying the car' (technically speaking, since it hasent been released yet) but I think you get my drift. Lets just hope it says mature. But im glad im a part of it and look forward to getting one next year! ;)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Welcome aboard, Rith. I couldn't agree with you more. It's refreshing to belong to a forum with such a respectful and self-policed group of folks. Even when there are disagreements, the debate barely ever even verges on a "flame war."

I too hope it keeps up in this manner :grouphug: :cheers:

·
4,592 Posts
welcome rith! this forum is great. I just wonder what it will be like when membership goes from 800 to 8000??? No matter, enjoy while the gettings good. :)

RODEO

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Welcome Rith. Glad you're aboard, and hope you find everything you're looking for.

The folks here are passionate, and smart. They don't always agree, which is awesome and produces some of the most intelligent discussions I've seen in forums. But, there's always a certain amount of respect that I hope continues into the future membership.

You're right on about the competition not being bashed. I wondered about that - I've seen some pretty severe bashing of competitors at other forums, and wondered why this seems to be absent here. I think there's a few things I though fleetingly about:

There tends to be a recognition that cars are or can be a very personal thing - we've got miata owners, Z4 owners, B-car owners, fiero... just about got them all... and no single one of them is perfect at everything.

I think also that there's just an inherent understanding that bashing competition in an attempt to raise the status of your own car is really counterproductive.

So, I hope you enjoy it here. Just wanted to add my own thoughts and a long winded welcome :thumbs:. And thanks for the comments on the site - if there's stuff you think might be improved, don't hesistate to either post it or send Troy Roberts (the administrator) or me a Private Message.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome Rith! This definately is a very well behaved forum!

I think part of the lack of competition bashing is because the cars are not for sale yet. Nobody can come on and post how they destroyed so and so's car, or they embarrassed such and such's car.

There are other reasons too. The purpose of this car isn't to hit the streets or tracks and blow everyone away in a drag race. It seems to me the more a car is meant to do that, the more billigerant the forums can get towards other cars.

Also, demographics are an issue. I think younger buyers tend to be more competitive and image conscious of what others think, and that passion leads to bashing other vehicles. Although we have plenty of younger people here interested, we also have a good mix of more mature (age-wise) enthusiats who are more concerned about owning a car they want to own and drive, and less about what other owners think or what other cars can do. Its actually a very good demographic mix on here, which has made the forum very interesting! There are plenty of good perspectives!

Hope to see you around some more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts