Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A low profile hydraulic jack is good, but you won't put it in the trunk (for emergency cases).
I solved this problem!
This is the original jack for the Mercedes A-class. In the photo you can see - it perfectly captures the URO inserts. Very compact. Convenient ratchet wrench.
I'm very happy))) And it cost me 13 bucks!
Why is this jack needed ??? In order not to stand on the side of the road and not be able to simply remove the punctured wheel.
The road is full of surprises and not all of them are pleasant.
Do you need such a tool? Everyone decides for himself!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that you can put on the spare!?!
But there are different situations on the road ... It is not always possible to count on mobile technical assistance with us.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
279 Posts
A low profile hydraulic jack is good, but you can't carry it with you.
I solved this problem! :)
This is the original jack for the Mercedes A-class. In the photo you can see - it perfectly captures the URO inserts. Convenient ratchet wrench.
I'm very happy))) And it cost me 13 bucks! (y)
Where does one get one, aside from the Mercedes parts counter?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where does one get one, aside from the Mercedes parts counter?
Part number of this jack A1685830415.
It has been used - A-Class W168 (1997-2004), A-Class W169 (2004-2012), B-Class W245 (2005-2011)
I bought mine from a used parts seller.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
213 Posts
the hole will always be on the bottom.
This is known as the Corollary to Murphy's Law with Respect to Automotive Mechanics. Not only will the hole always be on the bottom, but the part you drop will naturally fall to the center of the car it's under and the tool you need will be the one size in your set which you have lost/loaned/don't have.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Funny this should come up. best jack I have is the one that came in my '72 Fiat 124 Spyder. Flat folding scissor type like this Mercedes one. Today I was looking at the trunk lid torsion bars and thinking about that space being about the right size for a jack, pump and plug kit in a waterproof pouch/bag. Just delete the torsion rods. I have the German hydraulic lid lifter. Wonder if it would keep the trunk open without the torsion bars as they weren't doing anything to assist. Of course removing the bars would be a slightly major production. Perhaps the angle grinder with a cut off wheel would make a sacrificial rodectomy possible? Any thoughts...?

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
So you can carry it in your car....um....why? Do you plan on using that spare you're carrying in your front seat?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I had to find a very low profile jack to raise some audio speakers I have in order to fit spikes. As they weigh 450 lbs. each, having them topple over on one would have been inadvisable.

I found really nice alloy jack, not cheap but very compact. It would be a great choice for a Solstice and if I do any cross country trips in the coupe it will be going with me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I rarely drive further than 50 miles from home.

I have ready in my garage, a spare wheel and tire and a lug wrench.

In case of a flat, I call my wife, she brings the spare tire and lug wrench to me. The scissor jack on her car fits under the GXP.

I've not had to use the spare..........yet.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I think that this is the first car I have owned that didn't have a spare tire on board. Not that the ones with them would necessarily have been better - I had an Italian car with an original 1969 tire under it and the same for my 71 Jensen Interceptor - the factory spare is still under it (and amazingly, still holding air). Must get around to replacing that!

Even my Fiero had a spacesaver spare - had to use it once. The guys that decided that it looked cool to fit big fat tires hadn't thought far enough ahead to know that the fatter tires wouldn't fit in the trunk when the had a flat! I'm sure their girlfriends were impressed what they had to carry a dirty great wheel and tire in their laps after a blow out.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
The Cal Car Cover Lo Pro jack is the one referenced in Rob's earlier thread. The Torin looks a lot like my old Fiat jack but does not appear as sturdy. We get some good information going in these discussions. Gleaning the forum for the best compact air pump and plug kit has had good information surface for those wanting to create a kit we hope to never use. Like carrying a spare HPFP and installation tools. Hope I never have to use if roadside.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
609 Posts
The MB jack is pretty low profile. Odd looking though.

Jacking up the vehicle.

Folded flat for storage.

The Solstice' trunk is already quite small, therefore the whole bringing along a spare tire affair would even work. I'd go with roadside assistance program.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We get some good information going in these discussions. Gleaning the forum for the best compact air pump and plug kit has had good information surface for those wanting to create a kit we hope to never use. Like carrying a spare HPFP and installation tools. Hope I never have to use if roadside.

Richard Snipes
@4501 Safari absolutely agree with you! (y)
First, I saw on the forum information about a set of plugs. I bought and installed them - everything is great!
Then the idea came up to choose a compact jack. I chose the A-class jack because it perfectly grips the entire plug area. There is no fear of damaging the car body.
The main thing is the exchange of information!

Reactions: mike.robinmc
1 - 20 of 22 Posts