Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a Victory Red Solstice two days ago.
Been looking for a clean, low-mileage base model with no options for a while now... I could not believe my eyes when I saw this one advertised for sale at a neighborhood GM dealer.
It's a 2007 manual in pristine condition with no issues, accidents, liens, flaws or declarations. One owner, fully documented and used rather sparingly.
The odometer shows 7,900 kms (5,000 miles) and the vehicle still has the peculiar "new car" smell.
It's a Preferred Equipment Group model with no A/C, Driver Convenience Package, ABS, LSD and polished aluminium wheels.
This is the exact list of options I wanted (ok, maybe except if I found ZoK...) and the car is truly very special.
As a bonus, front license plate was not installed (while required in my province) so nothing is spoiling such a pretty face.
The only issue I have is that I'm unsure if I should treat this car as new or acknowledge and be respectful to its age.
I mean, while recently shopping for a Mazda3 for my wife I have driven 2014 dealer demos that had similar mileage...
Needles to say, I'm very happy and glad to be joining this community.
Cheers,
Kris

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Congratulations. It sounds like your find is pretty much like mine. I bought an 07 gxp with only 5700 miles about two months ago. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. I think you will also find this is a great forum for general knowledge about our cars. I have already been helped numerous times by previous posts and by people answering a question or two I have posted.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
Just got a Victory Red Solstice two days ago.
Been looking for a clean, low-mileage base model with no options for a while now... I could not believe my eyes when I saw this one advertised for sale at a neighborhood GM dealer.
It's a 2007 manual in pristine condition with no issues, accidents, liens, flaws or declarations. One owner, fully documented and used rather sparingly.
The odometer shows 7,900 kms (5,000 miles) and the vehicle still has the peculiar "new car" smell.
It's a Preferred Equipment Group model with no A/C, Driver Convenience Package, ABS, LSD and polished aluminium wheels.
This is the exact list of options I wanted (ok, maybe except if I found ZoK...) and the car is truly very special.
As a bonus, front license plate was not installed (while required in my province) so nothing is spoiling such a pretty face.
The only issue I have is that I'm unsure if I should treat this car as new or acknowledge and be respectful to its age.
I mean, while recently shopping for a Mazda3 for my wife I have driven 2014 dealer demos that had similar mileage...
Needles to say, I'm very happy and glad to be joining this community.
Cheers,
Kris
Welcome from just over the border (and I grew up in PoCo). What you don't mention is if its a GXP or not...

You JUST missed our regional get together, but Nationals are just outside Portland next year!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! just a heads up on the Mazda 3 I just got rid of one with the sport package (don't know if this is what you are looking at) but the have an issue with the rear suspension,excessive tire wear .I went through 3 sets of tires in 40000 miles Mazda knows about this and refuses to fix it if you go on the Mazda forum there are more then a few threads posted about this. Once again welcome and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Welcome Kris - sounds like a great find! 7 years old with that low of mileage I'd be swapping out fluids and looking for new rubber if the tires are showing signs of aging.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Welcome from across the Pond. If you ever come across to the Island PM me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Also, welcome from across the pond. If you do get a chance to come to the island send me a PM and we can meet up somewhere. I hope to see you at NASSM 2015. We went to Flagstaff last year and had a wonderful time. Looking forward to next years meet.

Don from Nanaimo

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Welcome Kris - sounds like a great find! 7 years old with that low of mileage I'd be swapping out fluids and looking for new rubber if the tires are showing signs of aging.
...and watch the battery...

Congrats !

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
And replace all that crappy plastic! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Welcome aboard ! If you are an enthusiast and want to meet up for group events, please be sure to check out Western Canada Kappa Club on Facebook. Kappa is the platform that Solstice, Sky and Opel GT were built on. We have club members in the lower mainland through to Edmonton, who join us on runs a couple times a year. It's great fun and very casual.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Geez - when I saw your header (Greetings from Langley) I figured that either the CIA were now driving snazzy sports cars (black, of course) or you were in my back yard (I'm in West Van).

You can mount the front plate low down and be legal while having it not look as bad if you like - that's what I have done.

If you, or anyone else out that way want a new sports exhaust system, I have a screaming deal for them - new Solo Street Race system I couldn't use on my coupe due to cabin resonance.

And coincidentally, my wife also bought a Mazda 3 and I read all the threads on tire wear. It doesn't affect all of the cars, and you just have to wait and see. They run a fair bit of negative camber at the rear and Mazda will only deal with it if it exceeds a certain level - that level being past the point where accelerated tire wear takes place.

The solution if you do experience it is pretty simple - buy after market rear suspension locating arms that DO have provision for camber adjustment and get it set properly.

As for the Solstice, just change the oil and drive the heck out of it. No point treating it as new, it is broken in and isn't going to be harmed by as much use as you want to give it.

PS - if you do own a normally aspirated car (NA) not a turbo GXP, and you are into good handling, there are lots of improvements you could play with. Perhaps one of the easier ones is to switch to the GXP sway bars and shocks/springs, which are stiffer than the NA bars. I'd offer you mine, but the guy that posted just above me has had them for several years now!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts