Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw my first solstice in person yesterday and again today, and as I looked at the grill, I couldn't help but think that it looked a little cheap in person. To me, it looks like it is jst silvr painted plastic and it just looks cheap to me. I am sure that there will be chrome grills out soon from accessory companies, but I was wondering in anyone else, who has seen the car in person, have noticed the look of the grill?

The rest of the car is amazing and everyone is right when they say it looks even better in person.

(Keep in mind the Solstice I have seen was a prototype and not production)

Here is a pic:

·
Registered
231 Posts
After market accessories

You are correct that there will probably be an upgraded replacement grill available soon. Most likely, there will be no car with more new after market parts and add-ons than the Solstice. I'll take mine when it comes in, cheap grill or not. :lol:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree, chances are it was one those items that was sacrificed in order to put their finances into the mechanical areas of the car. I can see them offering chrome trim in the future, but whatever they do I sure hope its not that plastic chrome crap.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It never struck me as "cheap looking" I guess. It just looks like a typical grille to me. I am interested in seeing what aftermarket options become available too, but I have no ill feelings towards this one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
red61985 said:
I saw my first solstice in person yesterday and again today, and as I looked at the grill, I couldn't help but think that it looked a little cheap in person. To me, it looks like it is jst silvr painted plastic and it just looks cheap to me. I am sure that there will be chrome grills out soon from accessory companies, but I was wondering in anyone else, who has seen the car in person, have noticed the look of the grill?

The rest of the car is amazing and everyone is right when they say it looks even better in person.

(Keep in mind the Solstice I have seen was a prototype and not production)

Here is a pic:

I kind of thought the same thought. Fortunely I have contacts who can powder coat, crome, or other coatings available to me when mine comes in.
Someone posted a recessed grill picture which looked great. I will have to do some looking into that also.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Knowing how my car is running, I'm glad GM put the money under the hood and in the driveline. I can live with a cheaper looking grille because there will be lots of aftermarket kits available. The same thing happened with my Miata. There was no grille insert in the "open mouth" below the hood. Aftermarket changed that very quickly. I'm actually looking forward to some aftermarket items to better personalize my Solstice. JMHO

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I like the grill the way it is, if you really look at, it blends very well if the entire car, while the black IMHO tends to make your eyes look at just that portion of the car, instead of the whole beautiful front sculpture of this car.

·
2,574 Posts
Some have said replacing the stock grill could be tricky. Can anyone explain why, maybe what's involved or how problematic it is? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Maybe GM will offer an addon later like they do with the GTO. Wouldn't suprise me. However I'm betting a lot of 3rd party vendors will offer osme too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pontiac (if you're reading this) should add a "chrome package" making all the stuff which is currently painted/aluminum with a REAL chrome finish.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sol2 said:
Pontiac (if you're reading this) should add a "chrome package" making all the stuff which is currently painted/aluminum with a REAL chrome finish.
Sad to say but, it's been my experience that the chrome that is used on plastic parts will not last very long and will look worse when it fails than what is on the car now. What will it take to remove the existing grill and replace with an aftermarket part?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
In an earlier post I remember reading that the front fascia had to be removed. The grille is attached from the back. A replacement grille would mean either removing the fascia to remove the existing grille or breaking the original grille out to make room for the new one. Both options sound like a problem in the end.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
In an earlier post I remember reading that the front fascia had to be removed. The grille is attached from the back. A replacement grille would mean either removing the fascia to remove the existing grille or breaking the original grille out to make room for the new one. Both options sound like a problem in the end.
:agree: I remember an earlier thread on this topic and I believe that the task is pretty tough.

·
Registered
417 Posts
you want to see a cheap looking grill, how about the legendary triumph tr3a and tr4: a little grill about an 8th inch thick . if you sneezed it bent. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
WantMySoltice said:
I kind of thought the same thought. Fortunely I have contacts who can powder coat, crome, or other coatings available to me when mine comes in.
Someone posted a recessed grill picture which looked great. I will have to do some looking into that also.
the problem with powder coating is that you have to Bake it on, and that won;t work on a plastic grill... you need something that will actually fuse into the plastic to keep it from being chipped off easily...but i am sure someone will come up with a Chrome replacement grill soon with different designs...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The grill looks fine to me.....it's a $20,000 car...they can't make everything look expensive...the only thing I would consider cheap looking in the car are the interior door panels....plastic and cheap..no question...but i was over it in about 10 minutes...i love this car....can't wait to ride in it again tomorrow! supposed to be 73 in NC!

·
5,600 Posts
Yes, the grill does look a bit cheap, but that is the order of the day for modern cars. Cheap looing interiors. Cheap looking trim and details. At least the car is still gorgeous as a whole.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts