Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This forum has answered a lot of questions that i have had regarding my solstice, thought i would contribute something back. This topic may have been covered already.

I used to get some kind of grinding noises from the back of the car when i used to turn the car left at low speeds approx 15 mph. I took it to one of the authorized service stations and they said that they have an advisory from GM (PIP3152M) that addresses such problems. What the service guys said was that this procedure requires them to flush the lube from the rear differential 3 times, while doing so check for metal filings/ pieces.

Luckily for me there were no metal pieces and just 3 time flush of the differential did the trick. The noises completely disappeared.
I understand they have to change some parts if they find metal pieces when they flush the differential.

The part numbers added were 88900401 - Lubricant & 88900330 - additive.
The cost was about 350 but this was covered by the warranty my dealer provided.

If i get details about the GM advisory/ procedure I will post it.

Regards,
UC

·
Registered
258 Posts
Usually(since you dealership is taking care of it) your diff making an audible noise like that in my experience means that your LSD could be bad.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
There were a number of LSD-equipped drive axles that did not have the additive included when they were filled with lube prior to installation. Flushing the unit and then including the additive with the lubricant addressed the problem.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Look to me like you need to go then to your dealership and just get the recall done on the diff. Looks like that is your problem. Take care

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
Look to me like you need to go then to your dealership and just get the recall done on the diff. Looks like that is your problem. Take care
The recall was only for the pinion seal. His issue was with the LSD and the dealer covered it under the correct TSB for the issue described.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How do you know if you have launch control in your vehicle?I assume it is not the T/C .

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,496 Posts
How do you know if you have launch control in your vehicle?I assume it is not the T/C .
If you have a Sky or Solstice, you do NOT have launch control. If you have the GMPP tune, you still do not have launch control on a Solstice or Sky, though you do have No Lift Shift.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are you sure about the NLS? Probably not all years I can see 09's maybe, but the OS's on the ECM's were different throughout the years.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The noise is the clutch packs inside the rear end grinding. The LSD additive is supposed to address this problem. I had the same issue with my first solstice and the dealer performed the same procedure and it went away.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
233 Posts
if you add the GMPP tune to your GXP the NLS is part of the tune it works on my 08 GXP

·
Registered
303 Posts
My 09 Coupe had the problem Dealer followed the TSB and swapped out the lube. Noise went away for about 6 months, then came back. Wound up getting the diff replaced under warranty.

Service writer said the lube flush/renew only permanently works on half or fewer, and that more often than not they wind up replacing the diff anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your comments.

The noise on my diff is completely gone, but assuming i get that back in 6 months are there any aftermarket differentials (& approx prices) that I can install on the 06, solstice that do not have so many problems. Any dealer I can get a quote from here in NJ ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry seems that my post went in the wrong section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts