Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2007 Pontiac solstice 2.4l base model with a manual transmission and 3.91 ratio open differential. The car has 60k miles on it and is very clean. There is a noise that’s hard to explain while your turning left and sometimes going straight. It’s like a grinding/rubbing sound. It’s not gear, rpm, or speed specific. When you turn to the right the noise completely goes away. The noise is always consistent turning left, and it’s on and off going straight. We thought we had it narrowed down to the rear differential. With the car on a lift and in gear you could place your hand on either back tire and stop it and produce the noise, let off the tire and the noise was gone. I took the car to my local GMC dealer and they diagnosed it and said they believe it is coming from the rear differential as well.

Since the car didn’t have limited slip and the noise was diagnosed to rear differential I bought a brand new in the box differential with limited slip. Wanted to add it since I was replacing the diff anyway. After a pretty simple 2 hour install the new diff was in. I added the limited slip additive along with a royal purple 75w90 oil. The car still makes the same noise! We have checked all the wheel bearings and everything is tight, no movement anywhere! I’m just looking to see if anybody has experienced this same scenario or may have some guidance with what to look into next. The noise is driving me crazy. I haven’t taken it back to GM yet, I wanted to get some info on here first. Thanks Scott

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2007 Pontiac solstice 2.4l base model with a manual transmission and 3.91 ratio open differential. The car has 60k miles on it and is very clean. There is a noise that’s hard to explain while your turning left and sometimes going straight. It’s like a grinding/rubbing sound. It’s not gear, rpm, or speed specific. When you turn to the right the noise completely goes away. The noise is always consistent turning left, and it’s on and off going straight. We thought we had it narrowed down to the rear differential. With the car on a lift and in gear you could place your hand on either back tire and stop it and produce the noise, let off the tire and the noise was gone. I took the car to my local GMC dealer and they diagnosed it and said they believe it is coming from the rear differential as well.

Since the car didn’t have limited slip and the noise was diagnosed to rear differential I bought a brand new in the box differential with limited slip. Wanted to add it since I was replacing the diff anyway. After a pretty simple 2 hour install the new diff was in. I added the limited slip additive along with a royal purple 75w90 oil. The car still makes the same noise! We have checked all the wheel bearings and everything is tight, no movement anywhere! I’m just looking to see if anybody has experienced this same scenario or may have some guidance with what to look into next. The noise is driving me crazy. I haven’t taken it back to GM yet, I wanted to get some info on here first. Thanks Scott
One thing you might check are the caliper pins. They need to be clean and greased slightly to allow the caliper to center itself each time you apply the brakes. Otherwise one pad or the other will not move far enough away from the rotor and will cause occasional rubbing noise, especially if you have metallic pads. There are also springs in the rear calipers which assist in allowing the pads to move away from the rotors. Sometimes these springs are mistakenly left off when pads are changed. This movement of the pads away from the rotor is very slight, almost unnoticeable, but important for pad and rotor life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check into that, but the car does not make this noise while running in the air on the lift. I figured if it was in the brakes it would make it regardless

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After driving the car again at lunch I did notice when I was hard on the throttle the noise would go away, and when you let off the noise was back.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
On my 07 Sly and 09 Deep coupe I would get that grinding noise as well when turning. I found that the dust shield behind the rotors would rub on the bottom of the rotor. By tapping the dust shield with a hammer to bend it away from the rotor would get rid of the grind. I would hold a large screw driver on the shield and hit it lightly with the hammer to push the shield. I just did this a couple of days ago when I changed from my winter wheels and tires to my summer wheels and tires. I heard a little scraping on the left front so I hit all four shields to make sure they were clear of the rotors. I'm not sure how the shields get bent to make the grind but they are pretty close to the rotors. Hope this helps you with your noise.

·
Registered
556 Posts
make sure all the bolts holding the hubs on are tight. as well as checking to be sure the fender inner liners are not copmming in contact with the tire any where. remove all wheels and look real good. if a arm bush or something dead or arm tower broken loose the tire will move left/right when corrnering. when you find the rub you know what&where to look for the real issue. look for any thing in the trans tunnel that may be comming into contact with the drive shaft. look at the exhaust hangers to be sure the ex isant moving around.and when all else fails, look at the front end...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
make sure all the bolts holding the hubs on are tight. as well as checking to be sure the fender inner liners are not copmming in contact with the tire any where. remove all wheels and look real good. if a arm bush or something dead or arm tower broken loose the tire will move left/right when corrnering. when you find the rub you know what&where to look for the real issue. look for any thing in the trans tunnel that may be comming into contact with the drive shaft. look at the exhaust hangers to be sure the ex isant moving around.and when all else fails, look at the front end...
We have checked all the hub bolts as well as the fender liners. We can’t find a rub mark anywhere and the hub bolts were all tight. It sounds like it is coming from the transmission area but again it’s hard to say with that brace that mounts to the diff and transmission because the noise could resonate through that brace. But somewhere in that tunnel is where we are looking next.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my 07 Sly and 09 Deep coupe I would get that grinding noise as well when turning. I found that the dust shield behind the rotors would rub on the bottom of the rotor. By tapping the dust shield with a hammer to bend it away from the rotor would get rid of the grind. I would hold a large screw driver on the shield and hit it lightly with the hammer to push the shield. I just did this a couple of days ago when I changed from my winter wheels and tires to my summer wheels and tires. I heard a little scraping on the left front so I hit all four shields to make sure they were clear of the rotors. I'm not sure how the shields get bent to make the grind but they are pretty close to the rotors. Hope this helps you with your noise.
I haven’t looked very closely at the dust shields on the rotors so I will definitely give that a try!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can even feel it in the car. You can feel it from the passenger seat by the transmission

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
You can even feel it in the car. You can feel it from the passenger seat by the transmission
That makes it sound like a propeller shaft CV joint. But that doesn't explain the directional aspect or the "stopping one wheel" aspect.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
yes! this has occurred on all of my cars. the "dust shield" or backing shield or brake shield.

·
Registered
556 Posts
hmm std trans?? does the shifter move when this cornering is going on?? like possibly a motor /trans mount issue?? pull the tunnell plate and have a good looksee.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm std trans?? does the shifter move when this cornering is going on?? like possibly a motor /trans mount issue?? pull the tunnell plate and have a good looksee.
Yes it’s a manual trans. The shifter does not move at all and you can’t feel anything in the shifter. Motor mounts are solid. I didn’t personal check the trans mount. I won’t be able to get it back on my buddies lift for a few days. I hope it’s something as simple as the dust shields but I DNR see a rub mark on any of them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That makes it sound like a propeller shaft CV joint. But that doesn't explain the directional aspect or the "stopping one wheel" aspect.
That was our thought as well. I have to believe it’s drive line related but we just can’t pin point it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to rule out the dust shields because we don’t see any rub or wear marks on any of them. As loud as this noise gets I would like to think you would see some kind of wear mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the exact same issue you are describing. This is what I found to be the problem

Read here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your noise may be that your tire is rubbing against the hump in the wheel well. Check out the General Discussion thread titled "Rear Tire Rubbing?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would go old school on this.

You will know when you are getting close to where the sound is coming from by using the tool above. it is only 89.00 and well worth it i might add. They do make a wireless version but it is over 200.00

Use painters tape to tape the wires down to the body of the car when you run the "ears" and also use zip ties. make sure the wires cannot get wrapped around anything that rotates. or in any place where they can get pinched.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts