Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Reported by insiders to be lower than the new Corvette C6.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GM has at pretty much said at all the Solstice showings at car shows that the Solstice has the lowest ground clearance of all the cars GM has in production. So figure it's at least one atomic molecule shorter then a Corvette.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
What IS the ground clearance of the 'Vette?
We thought you knew, Bob, er solsticeman. GM is silent on the actual number and none of the road tests give a number, although one reference saya "minimal ground clearance contributes to low drag coefficient" So I guess the Solstice g.c. is "less than minimal?"

·
Registered
66 Posts
achieftain said:
We thought you knew, Bob, er solsticeman. GM is silent on the actual number and none of the road tests give a number, although one reference saya "minimal ground clearance contributes to low drag coefficient" So I guess the Solstice g.c. is "less than minimal?"

If they were worried about drag, they should have made it a coupe. I mean, the windsheild abruptly stopping isn't exactly aerodynamic. This reminds me of the first S2k's with the plastic rear windows. Honda's excuse was "weight savings" over a glass window. If they were concerned about weight savings, they would have done a manual top rather than powered.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
slowandlow said:
ground clearance what is that i droped my alero over 2 in it will scrape once in a while but not that bad.
slowandlow,

how tall can an object (like a log) between the wheels be and your alero still get over it?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Under FIVE inches?

Man, that's going to look intimidating on the road (expecially with Xenon lights)...

...but i'm afraid to go over raised railroad tracks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
mceb said:
You can see the scratches where they hit the underside probably going up the ramp to the truck.
That's scary. There are going to be a lot of scratches in the front of cars owned by people with steep driveways or shallow curb cuts. Or those that live in apartments with speed bumps.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
waiting said:
That's scary. There are going to be a lot of scratches in the front of cars owned by people with steep driveways or shallow curb cuts. Or those that live in apartments with speed bumps.
I'm wondering if that's what that small lip is hanging off the underside...to take the hits instead of the body?

·
Registered
154 Posts
mceb said:
I'm wondering if that's what that small lip is hanging off the underside...to take the hits instead of the body?
As I understand it, that brings air up into the radiator and helps cool the engine. I ripped mine off on a parking block and the engine seemed to get hot quicker and the fan ran more. BTW it was pretty expensive to replace. Don't destroy it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
An approximate 5 inch ground clearance is still manageable on driveways. The tallest could scrape and you would have to be careful, but I think the Sol will be pretty good with driveways. Since the wheels are so far out to the corners, there isn't much of an overhang to drag.

The showcar may have seen excessive abuse from all the loading, traveling, and unloading to autoshows along with any other testing it has undergone.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The showcar may have seen excessive abuse from all the loading, traveling, and unloading to autoshows along with any other testing it has undergone.
Those ramps to load into the truck are pretty steep

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Also as I said above, just because it's the lowest ground clearance on a GM production car doesn't tell us at all how much lower it is. So the Corvette is 5" which is 127mm. As far as we know the Solstice is 126mm. The Corvettes been doing fine with a 5" clearance for who knows how long. I have a coworker with a Convertible C5 that enters and exits our place of business every day with no issue and we have a very steep entrance that dips down before sloping up quickly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
as long as i can fit my floor jack under it it will be good. i barley fit my jack under my car. i am going to put air on the sol wen i get mine. so i can flip the switches.

·
Registered
82 Posts
waiting said:

I drove a '96 firebird for 2 years and the specs on that say something like 4" clearance. Its not as bad as u think. U just learn to be careful and speed bumps arent generally a problem unless u are hitting them at 30mph. U will learn that backing in is usually better in driveways that have a lip because when u back out it will scrap but if u back in and then drive straight out u dont seem to have a problem. Ull find those houses where u look at the driveway and choose the street. U just have to learn to be preceptive and look at stuff before u hit it. I remember pulling into a previous work and if i did it too fast, i wouldnt hit in the front but i would bottom out just under the door sill. So u just learn to be a lil more cafefull and dont take lips at incredible speeds. Its not that bad. Just think of driving a firebird thats over 16ft long, 4" clearance and a nose that has like 2 feet past where u can see it( and thats if u are decently tall).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts