Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got offered $13,850 for my 08 GXP by a local dealer. 13020 miles, mint condition. GMPP, still 5 months left on GM warranty.

Gonna check out a few other dealers in the area before moving on to private sale. This is the first place I checked and I'm not really surprised. Its low for sure but that is what dealers do. This car would immediately be $17500 - $18500 on a dealers lot. There isn't even any prep they would have to do :lol:

Location is Wilmington, NC.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You can also check out CarMax if they are in your state.. IF you sell they cut you check on the spot..(assuming the car is paid off and you have the title..)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the nearest CarMax is 2 hrs away :(

I may end up doing that. I've actually sold two cars to them in the past. Their offers are unpredictable and I've seen them be all over the place. The last car I sold to them the offer was actually pretty decent. It just depends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our 07 GXP with 40K miles was totaled last August, insurance co paid us about $17K.
We bought an 09 with 1,140 miles for $22K. I think yours should be closer to the $22K mark.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Our 07 GXP with 40K miles was totaled last August, insurance co paid us about $17K.
We bought an 09 with 1,140 miles for $22K. I think yours should be closer to the $22K mark.
I'm not sure about the local market, but $18-$20K does not seem unreasonable to the right buyer for la ow mileage pristine GXP as you describe it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm well in Florida, Carmax is selling automatics for 15-17k with GXP on the high end. Check out NADA clean trade at NADA.com. I found the least expensive base 07 in Florida 2 months ago (5-spd,leather, chrome wheels, monsoon, upgraded roof) for 11,900, which I negotiated to 11,700. NADA clean trade was 11600, retail was 13,200.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just checked NADA for your zip clean trade is 16,300, retail is 19,200. Not sure if you had leather, monsoon or automatic, those all will add value. Your low mileage gives you a $3700 bump already in those above prices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Cozy. Those numbers help. Yeah I have leather, Monsoon, and sport pedals. I'm thinking private sale will probably be the best route. The tires only have 4K miles on them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Couldn't resist chiming in. I have been researching 2008 GXP's for months on autotrader, carmax, carguru, eBay, classifieds and private sale sites. IMHO, your car would go for $18,000 - $19,000. I've never found Carmax to be fair in buying cars, although they sure make the process simple. The market is a little soft right now, with the economy. Good luck, though. I think the private route is the way to go. This year, I have bought and sold a 1966 GTO on eBay, as well as sold a 2009 Soltice last year, and just Friday sold a 2008 N/A on eBay. All it takes is one person. And they say "the value of something is whatever someone is willing to pay for it."

·
Registered
12 Posts
That pushes you to 17025 clean trade (dealer buy) and 20025 for retail. I will tell you many of the sols I looked at are still on the dealer lots from 45 days a go when i bought Belle Sapphire
Just an FYI I think Ron has the right idea, ebay gives you a national audience and if the drive is nice you could deliver it an fly back :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. :thumbs:

I'll keep this thread updated.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
congrats on selling the NA Balti.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I bought my 08 GXP fully loaded (with no mods but the GMPP tune) just over two years ago for $15,600. To give you an approximation of value (at least in northern california) Now it is probably worth $13k or so if i put it back to stock and sold it. Everyone seems to have a dream of that their solstice is worth big money but in the end they weren't very rare, except the coupes. The quality issues and the interior make me hate this car, but the exterior makes me love it. It's a love hate thing without a doubt.

As far as carmax, they pay really good prices. I have sold my last 6 cars to them. One time they actually paid me more than i paid for the vehicle 18 months earlier. On another car I had been trying to sell that car for about a month on the internet and had dropped my price a couple times, after about a month of not even one test drive I took it to carmax and they offered me more than i was trying to sell it for on the internet.

·
Registered
728 Posts
well I sold carmax my H2 3 years ago, yea they screwed me, but then again who wanted to buy an H2? (We dearly miss that truck:().. I tracked that sucker down a month or so ago, they were asking 19,500 for it at a leasing company, at least its still in my state..... More than what carmax gave me...But you do what you gotta do, when its an emergency, sometimes, sadly at a loss..

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you're not happy with the price, don't sell it.
Agreed. And you have to remember, the reason there is a private seller market and a trade/dealer market is simply that one market your buyer wants your car for THEMSELVES, while the other market wants to PROFIT by taking your vehicle off your hands and selling it.

An '09 GXP vert with 13k/loaded should go for around $19k selling yourself, maybe start low 20 or 19900ish and give a little wiggle room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts