Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my Wester's tuned GXP got bit by the clutch slip bug today when hitting 3rd gear at full power.
Tried short-shifting into 4th and barely throttling it, but 4th still slipping...pushed in the pedal, pulled it into neutral and coasted quite a ways to an intersection.
Praying it would pull out, the light turned green and very carefully I released the pedal and she pulled out. Took it home and let it cool off, and it smelled to for at least a couple of hours.
After about 3-4 hours, I took it back out and it at least engages in all gears under light throttle. But, I've yet to go full throttle.

1) The car only has 7600 miles on it, will the clutch eventually "recover" back to it's near-stock clamping ability, or, is it screwed forever now?

2) (search feature gives too much junk posts) With what information I could weed through, I'm confused as to what is available for the GXP's LNF motor.
I DO NOT want the vibration, nor, a heavy as hell pedal. I don't mind a stiffer pedal, but, I don't want a "race" pedal. I drive this car to work every day, and I have to endure stop-and-crawl traffic all the way into my plant.
So, from what I can tell from the previous posts, I want to keep my stock flywheel (after all, it only has 7,600 miles on it anyway).
What clutch/pressure plate combo's are out there now for the LNF motors that don't enduce vibrations??

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had this same problem. My clutch seems to be operating normal now and didn't change the clutch just let it cool down. I"m interested in watchin this post though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vendors....
What will fit the LNF????

·
Registered
372 Posts
spec has some, but they chatter like a mofo. everyone is waiting on excedy or another brand to come out w/ something good. i want one too:(

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a Spec stage 3 plus in my Fiero V8. Yep it would chatter like crazy if you didn't give it enough gas. But one I got used to it it was great. Clamped great and never slipped. I would consider one for my Solstice when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
When speaking with Spec they are pretty clear that their clutches (and just about any performance clutch) needs to be bedded in - just like Hawk pads need bedding as well. The Spec 3 clutch is pretty aggressive. The Spec 2 and 2+ are more conventional style plates while the 3 is a six puck clutch, and puck style clutches are more prone to some chatter. The really important task that must be done when a clutch is replaced is to resurface the flywheel or YOU WILL (most likely) GET SOME CHATTER. Check with some of the supporting vendors to see what they sell and what their experience has been. BTW, Exedy lists clutches only for the 2.4 and they are not interchangeable with the 2.0. But they may have something that isn't listed yet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
BTW, Exedy lists clutches only for the 2.4 and they are not interchangeable with the 2.0. But they may have something that isn't listed yet.
ddm was gonna speak w/ them about the 2.0, its on here some where, but they dont have one yet.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
ddm was gonna speak w/ them about the 2.0, its on here some where, but they dont have one yet.
That was in November. I spoke with Dave lthis week and all he would say is that in a month or so he should have some word on some new clutches and flywheels for the LNF, but no other details.

·
Premium Member
10,297 Posts
I think a clutch master would be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just checked Bully's and Clutch Masters' sites and they list nothing newer than 2002 year models. Do you have any listings for 2.0 applications?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
For Bully you would need to call them. They made mine for me in less then a week and had it shipped out to me.I'm using a stage 4 bully.

As for clutch masters. I'm pretty sure they have something you just need to call them.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Could someone explain this "Chatter" issue? I have driven an 03 Cobra with an aftermarket clutch that was adjustable and I really loved it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Could someone explain this "Chatter" issue? I have driven an 03 Cobra with an aftermarket clutch that was adjustable and I really loved it.
There's not as much slip, so you need a touch more throttle for a nice smooth start. The "chatter" comes from not giving it enough throttle as you release the clutch. You get used to it quickly and learn to just goose it a bit more. I loved the Stage 3 I had on my turbo LS1 Camaro. I was pushing about 640 pounds of torque.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Oh, well I know exactly what you are talking about now! You had me worried for a second!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love my Spec Stage II it has yet to slip. I don't get half the chatter people complain about and its very manageable as a daily driver. It can still handle 480+ tq so thats a huge added bonus, and Spec said its got an exceptional long life.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm gonna wait till I kill my oem clutch, then see what options are. If it were to goe tomarrow most likely spec stage 2+.

Hafizmo, have the flywheel too?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm gonna wait till I kill my oem clutch, then see what options are. If it were to goe tomarrow most likely spec stage 2+.

Hafizmo, have the flywheel too?

·
Premium Member
10,297 Posts
Someone on another thread mentioned the spec 3 having less issues than the spec 2+

·
Registered
372 Posts
Someone on another thread mentioned the spec 3 having less issues than the spec 2+
i read that somewhere as well, as my daily driver i dont want the the clutch too stiff but it is an option... i wish i could try before i buy:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts