Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there new or any updated consensus on oe style (in the box) air filters for the gxp?witch to stay away from which flow more or less? no Im not a fan of cotton k&n filters unless they have updated them,

·
Administrator
10,701 Posts
I have been using the Purolator One (A45800) since forever in both of my Skys and have been quite happy with them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I just switched out the OE filter last year. Lasted 14 years, lol. I think I went with Fram or Wix. I can’t remember. Both are very good at filtration and I am with you on the k&N filters. I’ll just say I’m not a fan.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had K&N up until I installed Solo HFC. For whatever reason since then I get a code saying I am running lean. So I switched back to stock paper filter (think it's FRAM) and it's fine ever since. Prior to the HFC, K&N has been fine. I might revisit this again.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know weather to go back with AC or what,looks like the popular ones (fram wix,purolator) are used. thanks guys!! I think I put a wix on my 06, but didnt know if there was something to use or one not to use(stay away from) on the gxp.the AC filter thats in it seems quite thick ,looks kinda restrictive, but i know thats what gm tuned it for.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Mark,

I have been very pleased with the WIX air and oil filters for my GXP. I was using AC Delco use WIX in the other vehicles so when it came time to change the air filter I went with the 49701 and use the 67082XP oil filter. In my Roadmaster with the LT1 and more than somewhat modified I've run an oiled K&N for years in a stock swiss cheesed air box and have a ram air setup with dual cone K&N filters. Easy to keep clean and properly oiled with a bit of care.

I have talked to K&P engineering for several years now about making one of their permanent oil filters for the Solstice. The filters are billet with surgical woven stainless filter media and a rare earth magnet to capture magnetic metal. Usually there will be a fine deposit of "dust" on the magnet disc. There may already be someone out there making this type of filter for the Ecotec. I do not know . The filter housings for bikes and V8's are works of art. I think the DDM remote oil filter mod with with a K&P filter would be the cat's whiskers. The Slingshot folks would like it as another money magnet...

Link: Technical Information – K and P Engineering

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a wix, I wonder where it's made?? hopefuly not russia where the grose box of wix fuel filters I bought came from...( not for my solstices) wix told me yes they were real wix and made to the specifications, but I should not of been able to buy them in the usa.....and that most all of their manufacturing has left gastonia NC and went "offfshore" what a company.I wonder if gastonia is now a ghost town now of a resort for the ceo's? with massive delapidated building.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts