Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I have fairly minor mods on my 08 gxp trifecta tune solo cat back exhaust and Dejon intercooler pipes and intake...I've had the tune and mods for about 4 months and haven't had clutch problems till now, I also jus put 20inch rims on about 2 weeks ago not sure if that's an issue or not...but when I engage the tune an start driving around and hit wot and max boost the engine will jus rev up an no go go the tell take sign of clutch issues it's also got the famous burnt clutch smell after, the engine also sputters and cuts out when it slips as well...can anyone confirm my diagnosis as it been a clutch problem or something else??...the car only has 26k miles so I'm thinkin maybe the added torque an hp killed it??...thanks for any suggestions guys!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep, sounds like you've burned up the lining on your clutch. When you replace the clutch, you might want to consider an upgraded clutch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offense taken...I do drive aggressively but not so much so that it would burn up a clutch...I will definitely buy an upgraded clutch when I replace it for sure...jus cant believe it wore out so fast...and yes I know how to drive all ive ever had we're standards.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great ,sounds like my clutch may also be on it's way out and I am all stock with Magnaflow Catback for a mod.Can't say I feel any slippage and I do not drive aggressive but not to say that I did not get on it a few times.On a warm day when I get into my car I smell a burning odor ,kept thinking something must have burned in this car before seeing how it was used with 19K on it when I got it and was a leased car with first owner driving 3 years and 11 months and last driver 1 month.Got to think it was driven with out much regards to then healt of the car. I never though about the clutch but now I am thinking it may be that,will find out after the Trifecta tune goes into it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great ,sounds like my clutch may also be on it's way out and I am all stock with Magnaflow Catback for a mod.Can't say I feel any slippage and I do not drive aggressive but not to say that I did not get on it a few times.On a warm day when I get into my car I smell a burning odor ,kept thinking something must have burned in this car before seeing how it was used with 19K on it when I got it and was a leased car with first owner driving 3 years and 11 months and last driver 1 month.Got to think it was driven with out much regards to then healt of the car. I never though about the clutch but now I am thinking it may be that,will find out after the Trifecta tune goes into it.
Does it smell like burnt brakes( a smell that is very distinguishable and hard to forget)? If so, it's probably your clutch. My brother-in-law burned out my clutch on my 87 Dodge in just 20 minutes of driving. There's no telling what abuse the second owner heaped on that clutch in 30 days before deciding that he/she really needs a car with an automatic. So, how difficult is it to drop the transmission on one of these cars?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
Does it smell like burnt brakes( a smell that is very distinguishable and hard to forget)? If so, it's probably your clutch. My brother-in-law burned out my clutch on my 87 Dodge in just 20 minutes of driving. There's no telling what abuse the second owner heaped on that clutch in 30 days before deciding that he/she really needs a car with an automatic. So, how difficult is it to drop the transmission on one of these cars?
It's not particularly easy, 2 or 3 of the bolts are darn near impossible to reach, from what I've heard.

Use the search feature, I know there are a bunch of threads out here that have the information.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well drove the car yesterday ,90 degrees out ,sitting in the sun and there was no odor when I opened the door,don't really know what the odor is for sure,never paid that much attention to it.These cars are probably not easy to work on as far as getting underneath them because of the issues of jacking them up.I know this should be done on a lift but most owners don't have access to a lift for home repairs type jobs.I notice that people here put their vin #s to show the age or # made my vin ends up as 135355 does that mean it was the 5355th car produced for 07?Din'd mean to hijack this thread just curious.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
I notice that people here put their vin #s to show the age or # made my vin ends up as 135355 does that mean it was the 5355th car produced for 07?Din'd mean to hijack this thread just curious.
For model year 2007, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky VINs were mixed, so it was impossible to tell anything about production numbers from the VIN. There were something like 42,000 Solstices and Skys made for MY2007.

Let's get back to talking about clutches burning up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car is really bad now..I can't even use the tune or it slips so I gotta baby it all the time...it's pretty annoying to say the least

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
My car is really bad now..I can't even use the tune or it slips so I gotta baby it all the time...it's pretty annoying to say the least
Why are you still driving it - that flywheel isn't quite ruined yet?

Park it before you cause more problems, and get a new clutch.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Anyone know of the best street clutch that will handle my extra power and heavy wheels?
The SPEC clutches for the 2.0L are the best choice right now, there has been a lot of good feedback with the SPEC Stage 3+, and I also highly recommend getting their flywheel at the same time. Otherwise your stock flywheel has to be machined, and also SPEC really prefers you installing their flywheel at the same time if there is any warranty issues that come up.

SPEC Clutches for the 2.0L - http://ddmworks.com/solstice/clutch/spec.html

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts