Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

GXP Coupe Curb Weight?

15K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Shadofax 
#1 ·
Has anyone weighed their GXP Coupe? I weighed mine about 2 years ago on certified (+- 0.1%) truck scales with myself and a full tank of gasoline. The weight was exactly 3100 pounds. I thought curb weight was a wet (oil, gas, etc) measurement with no driver. Remove my 180 pound bottom and it's knocking on 2900. The lowest documented curb weight I can find is from the April 2009 issue of Motor Trend Magazine at 3054 pounds. Did the factory leave something off of my coupe?

#5 ·
When I set up the suspension and corner weighted my coupe it weighed 3025 lbs. Only mods that would add weight was a Probeam and Backbone, and the slightly heavier ZOK sway bars.

#6 · (Edited)
Has anyone weighed their GXP Coupe? I weighed mine about 2 years ago on certified (+- 0.1%) truck scales with myself and a full tank of gasoline. The weight was exactly 3100 pounds. I thought curb weight was a wet (oil, gas, etc) measurement with no driver. Remove my 180 pound bottom and it's knocking on 2900. The lowest documented curb weight I can find is from the April 2009 issue of Motor Trend Magazine at 3054 pounds. Did the factory leave something off of my coupe?
That is interesting, because without you it should be around 3018. Now I'm going to have to find a truck scale. You are GXP, so the coupes are said to be 3018, however there seems to be a difference in weight between a vert GXP and an NA....the GXP being heavier I believe due to the turbo, IC, added piping, and some of the suspension upgrades.

Edit: interesting though, I always thought curb weight was no one in the vehicle but this states (wikpedia): Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

"Passengers" is the key. A driver is not considered a passenger by definition. And if you look further at the wiki definition it says the EU often includes 75kg (165lbs) for an average driver weight.

When I set up the suspension and corner weighted my coupe it weighed 3025 lbs. Only mods that would add weight was a Probeam and Backbone, and the slightly heavier ZOK sway bars.
yea but that probeam is pretty thin metal, that whole assembly won't weigh much, same with the backbone since that's aluminum. Are the zok sways hollow?

#7 ·
The ZOK bars just have a thicker wall than stock bars. All Kappa sway bars are hollow. The probeam has some weight to it as does the Backbone, but I agree not a heck of a lot. Weight without them would probably be somewhere between 3000 and 3025

#9 ·
That thread is probably why this discussion is back again. I think I saw 1 post in 3 pages where someone actually put their car on a scale. The rest of the 3 pages was griping about state registration fees based on vehicle "weight"....however the state measures that, they certainly aren't weighing them, probably going by GVWR.

Wonder if there are any truck scales near any of the events coming this summer?

#10 · (Edited)
fwiw... 2946lbs.

that's what #802 (gxp manual w/ ac, leather and monsoon pkg) weighed the day i bought it; stopped by a friend's suspension shop on the way home. may it rest in pieces :nonod:

mods were: street edition wheels, Z0K springs/sway bars/crossmember, GMPP CAI, kappasphere rebar, and 1/3 tank of gas.

edit: so with a full tank of gas, exactly as predicted - just over 3000lbs, and knocking on the door i presume, sans Z0K accoutrements and rebar.
edit2: get creative with just your wheels/tires, exhaust, battery, targa top and fuel load, this thing gets under 2800lbs in no time :)

#11 · (Edited)
So your coupe was wrecked/totalled?

I do plan to weigh the targa vs. magnesium roof panel when I switch it out this summer. From picking both up there isn't a much there, but perhaps 5 lbs difference. And of course any runs at the track should be at 1/2 tank max which would save around 40-45 lbs.

I don't even run with that washer fluid resevoir full. Thats a good gallon of water, which weighs 7-8 lbs. The car has never been out in the rain, so I drained most of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.