Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking buying a 07 GXP, my issue is it has 130K miles.
what experience has anyone had with this type of mileage on this eng?

I'm trying to figure it is all HWY or if they guy was just a road dog.

I used to own a 05 solstice and loved it. had 1 of the first DDM supercharges on it down in W TX.

any knowledge or insight on this eng and mileage would be helpful

Thanks Joe

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Life is like a box of chocolates. You are buying used, check it over according RTE's (Rob the Elder) check list and that is about all you can do. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Certain items tend to go more then others. I've had the WP issue at 58k, then my HPFP at 78k. Too determine if the HPFP is failing, listen for the ticking, if it's consistent, it should be good. If it's sporadic then there could be an issue starting. And don't just listen once. Warm the car up, listen, test drive the car, pull over and listen, finish the test drive and listen. Because it won't always be sporadic, just at certain intervals... And by consistent I mean once warn and at idle, you should hear a tick every .75 to 1.5 seconds. If it's sporadic, you'll hear a tick followed by a machine gun style tick, then back to normal tick for several then machine gun style again. The best part about the HPFP though is if you can change oil, you can change the pump...they're just a bit pricey. And now that I've replaced the HPFP, I believe my alternator is going at 79k. Expect a timing chain to need replacing on the '07 at that mileage if it hasn't been done. What I'm getting at is just be prepared to spend some money on repairs, but that's any car with 130k on it.

Reactions: ChopTop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestions and tips.
that is my issue, i guess the seller is a dealer and traded the car for a dually. the guy knows nothing about that car.
the car has norms firebird hood, RK sport front end, norms rear spoiler and i believe RK sport side skirts.
he said it was a complete repaint and want 15000 for it.

i love the body kit as i had some of that on my 05. just feel its high based on mileage.

anyone know who might have owned a 07 gxp with all the added body panels in OHIO or NE? its on craigslist in youngstown ohio

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/6178037596.html

·
Registered
206 Posts
In my opinion (and I have heard it many times as well), vehicle modifications typically don't hold their resale. At best maybe 10-15% of their original cost.

I think $15k is way too much for a car with 130,000 miles. A fair asking price would be the average cost of a 2007 GXP with 130,000 mile + 10% of the original modifications (bodykit, wheels, etc.). That would be my estimate at $9k + $500 for mods = $9500.

Remember the market is limited for buyers so the seller is only going to get what a buyer is willing to pay. I would offer $9000 and negotiate to a max of $10,500.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. That said, I wouldn't pay $15,000 for that car with those miles but you might be able to negotiate. If it's a dealer is there a warranty he is offering?

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
If the car has been well maintained, there is no reason it should not run for many more miles.

It will probably need the intake carbon cleaned out. That can cost $500 to $1000.

Fuel pump at a dealer can run $800 to $1000

Clutch can run about the same.

Water pump can run $1000 at a dealer.

For $15000 you can likely find a low mileage car that will have a lot less wear and potential issues.

The RK parts are not the same quality in fit, finish and construction as Norm's. I would carefully inspect the car prior to making an offer.

If you add the likely maintenance needs to the asking price you are potentially paying closer to $20k for the car to make it right.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You can get a MUCH more lower mileage GXP for that price!!! Don't waste your money on that car! You can find a GXP with less then 50k on it for that price! I'm almost thinking you can find one and add Norm's stuff for less. But, that being said, you are the purchaser, not me. Here's a prime example...and this one is at a dealership! https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=452961012&zip=48327&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D48327%26showcaseOwnerId%3D575727%26startYear%3D2007%26maxMileage%3D60000%26incremental%3Dall%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DSOLSTICE%26makeCodeList%3DPONT%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceDESC%26maxPrice%3D15000%26firstRecord%3D0%26searchRadius%3D0%26trimCodeList%3DSOLSTICE%257CGXP&startYear=2007&numRecords=25&maxPrice=15000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=SOLSTICE&makeCodeList=PONT&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=PONT&modelCode1=SOLSTICE

One other little side note, there were no '05 Solstices made....so I'm assuming that was a typo.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
It's been said before and I'll say it again that car is way overpriced ! I assume you live in Ohio I just did a check on Cleveland Craigslist and there are a few GXP's for sale with around 50 thousand miles for 1/2 the price . The other issue is the fact that it's at a dealer so who knows if it was taken care of . Forget the body mods and wheels you can find one for a lot less money and if you like that look purchase the components and modify it yourself in the end you will be ahead financially .For me it's an $ 8500.00 car if it's in reasonably good shape and you have maintenance records to go with it .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ghost, there were 05's made. It was a MULE from GM that ended up in TX and i bought it from a dealer. Like a [email protected] i sold it.. i lost my job and was broke.. had no choice at the time.

thanks for all the replys. just talked to the guy again and the last owner..
car was bought with 118K on it.. he put panels on and painted it. no eng mod's at all... mobile 1 in oil changes. He is not at 13500. but I agree.. 10K is about all its worth.

thanks again to all

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Interesting : From all I've read about GM mule cars most were scrapped by GM and almost all of them did not have titles and if they were sold it was a bill of sale only . So I gotta believe you had a one of one car any idea what the vin number was ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL, Yes i have the VIN and now the owner.. Going to see it in a coule days to TRY and buy it back. i was a fool to sell it.

you are correct most were scrapped. I had NO idea what it was when i bought it.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
LOL, Yes i have the VIN and now the owner.. Going to see it in a coule days to TRY and buy it back. i was a fool to sell it.

you are correct most were scrapped. I had NO idea what it was when i bought it.
Post the VIN or the last 8 of the VIN and I'll let you know what info we have on it. Several of us have gotten pretty good records because of our involvement in the current PPS recall. It would be awesome to find a U.S. car that wasn't in the files.

Thanks in advance.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi Joe,

My 2007 GXP is at 178,000 miles and dead stock except for the suspension. It runs strong and can still pull 17psi boost on a good day. It's been reliable and remains my daily driver. I'm the original owner and have done my own maintenance. I'd estimate my freeway mileage to be about 65% of that total, but freeways out here are stop and go a lot of the time. I replaced my clutch at 122,000 but that was because my dealer diagnosed a broken clutch pedal as a bad slave cylinder. My clutch would have gone farther than that. I just replaced my original water pump last weekend - not an easy job. Other things I've gone through:

2 fan motors at 60,000 and 120,000ish (not cheap).
Driver's seat cover - leather was shot around 140,000
Dash lights - cheap fix
I've kept the original top well maintained but it is up and down a lot all year around. I've had to replace a few miscellaneous parts, but it still looks good.
Cam shaft solenoid - not a big deal.
Lots of tires

There's a few other minor inexpensive things I've done, but overall the GXP has been a very reliable car and I drive it hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as soon as i own it again i will post it.

I just talked to her and i have a hot at getting it back. will not know till this weekend.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
thanks for the suggestions and tips.
that is my issue, i guess the seller is a dealer and traded the car for a dually. the guy knows nothing about that car.
the car has norms firebird hood, RK sport front end, norms rear spoiler and i believe RK sport side skirts.
he said it was a complete repaint and want 15000 for it.

i love the body kit as i had some of that on my 05. just feel its high based on mileage.

anyone know who might have owned a 07 gxp with all the added body panels in OHIO or NE? its on craigslist in youngstown ohio

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/6178037596.html

My question to you is why this car? Why not one where you can gather more information, or one that has lower miles, or one that includes services records?

Having said that, I know that even well maintained cars can go south at any time. However, there is a LOT of reasonable priced Solstices out there to choose from, especially if you're willing to travel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts