Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I as down at a local car gathering (all sorts of cars, rods, restored originals etc.) and ended up parking my coupe beside a G8 GXP, like my coupe, a 2009.

They only made 1800 of the V8 G8s with the LS3 and only 6 were originally sold in Canada so they aren't a whole lot more common than the Solstice coupe is. I should have taken a picture!

Had to tell the owner that while his car would certainly be faster than a stock Solstice (he has 415 bhp hauling just on 4,000 lbs.) in fact my lightly modified car would toast his on acceleration and handling (I tried not to grin too much).

Of course the owner is a highly qualified mechanic and pits for a local racer, so the fact that his engine is still stock just means he hasn't got around to doing anything about it! He muttered something about Edelbrock supercharger.... >:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
So you may want to do a little more research. Stock solstice GXP 1/4=14.4s, 0-60+5.8s, G8 GT (L76) 1/4=13.8, 60=5.3, G8 GXP (LS3) 1/4=13.0, 60=4.5. The GXPs suspensions were track tuned on Nürburgring and outrun the BMW M5 in every performance metric. I know you can get a lot out of these turbo cars but don't underestimate G8 GXP with a few bolt ons, or the G8 GTs for that matter. It is really easy to get a lot of power out of the LS platform motors for very little investment (just take a look at my signature). I suspect he would give you quite a run for your money even being stock.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
So you may want to do a little more research. Stock solstice GXP 1/4=14.4s, 0-60+5.8s, G8 GT (L76) 1/4=13.8, 60=5.3, G8 GXP (LS3) 1/4=13.0, 60=4.5. The GXPs suspensions were track tuned on Nürburgring and outrun the BMW M5 in every performance metric. I know you can get a lot out of these turbo cars but don't underestimate G8 GXP with a few bolt ons, or the G8 GTs for that matter. It is really easy to get a lot of power out of the LS platform motors for very little investment (just take a look at my signature). I suspect he would give you quite a run for your money even being stock.
So you may want to re-read the OP post. I think that's almost exactly what wspohn was saying :)

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you may want to re-read the OP post. I think that's almost exactly what wspohn was saying :)
:yesnod: ............................................ :yesnod:

·
Registered
115 Posts
No, what Mr. wspohn was saying is "my lightly modified car would toast his on acceleration and handling". I'm saying unless he has had his car to the strip and personnal put down some 12.9's I don't think so. I been at multiple G8 Owner National Events and other event track days where there are lots of G8 GXPs outrunning Corvettes and Camaros in the Autocross and running 12 sec quarters most of them with only a set of adjustable sway bars and a good tune. The G8 has the same independent rear diff/suspension as the Solstice and Camaro. Yes it has some additional weight over the Vette and Solstice but it has a perfect 50/50 front to rear weight balance so you would be surprised how many people at the road race course say "What the heck just passed me? It looked like a BMW sedan."

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My car with the turbo it is running would be a fraction of a second faster than the stock G8 GXP in a quarter. Cars with my identical set up have been in the 12.9 range which is below the 13.0 a stock G8 does. In fact some tests have the slower than that https://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/g8/2009/road-test-specs/

I never suggested that a modified G8 GXP couldn't exceed a tuned Solstice - it could, easily. The G8 is also a heavy pig and for handling we'd have to actually run them on the same course, which isn't going to happen.

The G8 weighs 1,000 lbs. more and has only 40 bhp more than the modified Solstice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I admit I am partial to the G8 as you are to the Solstice. Regardless, the thought of a GXP meet, that's pretty cool. Sunfire, Grand Prix, Bonnies, Solstice, G6 and G8 all had GXP models. Tell me more about this event. Who put it on?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is just a voluntary unorganized event at a local parking lot where anyone with a car can come and park and chat with others. Lot of rods, a few sports cars, and a sprinkling of more modern stuff.

It is actually quite interesting as everyone loves to talk about cars and most of the people 'made' their cars in some sense so there is a lot of practical experience there and you can learn about products and techniques that you hadn't come across before.

The other gathering like this is sponsored (in the sense of free coffee and doughnuts) by a local high end car dealer. It gets very interesting too with lots of Ferraris, Lambos, BMWs etc. I usually take a British car, though I took my BMW last time.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I admit I am partial to the G8 as you are to the Solstice. Regardless, the thought of a GXP meet, that's pretty cool. Sunfire, Grand Prix, Bonnies, Solstice, G6 and G8 all had GXP models. Tell me more about this event. Who put it on?
Don't forget the Torrent GXP, a sub 7 second SUV (that can take curves) for everyone with only $30k in their pocket at that time!

·
Registered
115 Posts
So this wasn't a meetup of only GXP's, man you had really going there, that would have been really cool! They actually made a GXP out of Torrent. And I would have never guessed they made a GXP out of the Torrent. Do you think that a Torrent GXP could outrun a "lightly modified" Solstice GXP that runs 12.9 second quarters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts