Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the forum that the OEM cat on the GXP only comes out if you raise the engine up an inch? Can someone walk me through how to do that exactly...? I've replaced three on my previous Solstice's in the past but, they were all 2.4 versions; only had to lift the car & OEM cat was able to be removed from beneath. I really want to start adding performance parts & this will be the first mod I do to my first GXP I've ever owned. Freaking LOVE this car; thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
16,268 Posts
I have changed them without lifting the engine. Its kind of like a three d puzzle but it can be done.

If you find you cant solve the puzzle, put the car on stands then loosen the right side motor mount and put a hunk of wood on the side of the pan and lift it with a jack.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had no issues removing it. Did not require lifting of the engine. Just make sure you get a good soak of the studs with PB Blaster or similar before getting at the nuts.
cat gets lowered while twisting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have changed them without lifting the engine. Its kind of like a three d puzzle but it can be done.

If you find you cant solve the puzzle, put the car on stands then loosen the right side motor mount and put a hunk of wood on the side of the pan and lift it with a jack.
Thank you sir, you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had no issues removing it. Did not require lifting of the engine. Just make sure you get a good soak of the studs with PB Blaster or similar before getting at the nuts.
cat gets lowered while twisting.
That's good news, I'm really unfamiliar with raising an engine, but hearing that I may not have to gives me more confidence in installing this part myself...

Wondering if it's an easy install or if I'm going to need special tools.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don’t think you need special tools. Lift the car. Perhaps ramps, unless you have access to a lift.
make sure the 4 - 15 mm bolts on the back of the turbo are well soaked in penetrating oil and let it sit. Slowly work these nuts. They will be Baked on. The worst one is in the lower inner side. A long no indexed wrench is best. A regular indexed wrench will work, but be prepared to keep flipping the wrench. One you get them started, a good time to take out the O2 and work on the connection at the exhaust.
there is a hanger on the block for the Cat. Make sure you take that out for clearance.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Did you ever play Tetris? It helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts