Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road test of the GXP in the Oct 2006 issue of Car and Driver. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Thanks for posting that. :thumbs: It's a good read and if there are only 8000 GXPs built this year, I wish they would hurry up and build mine! :willy:

Bob

·
5,600 Posts
Wow! I NEVER thought the GXP would beat a base Boxster around any race track. The lesson is, don't underestimate torque, I guess. I wonder how it will stack up agains the S2000 with even less torque.

Add to that, it is quieter cruising down the road than a Boxster. Now WHO ever predicted THAT kind of refinement in a Pontiac? Everybody in the world would have assumed positively that the Porsche would be the quieter ride.

Good review. I certainly am VERY disappointed at the low skidpad numbers. 2 reviews and both have it well below 0.90 g. That's unacceptable. And it is not just the weight. I can't believe that adding 150 pounds to the base Solstice has brought the it down from 0.91 on the Skidpad to 0.85. That's a huge drop. What is up with that?

It is funny though, that for all of their criticisms, from the balky shifter to "slow turn in" to "non-linear steering" (whatever that is. :rolleyes:)

Definitely the touring sports car I'm looking for, slow turn in, non-linear steering and all. Just add luggage rack, and stir. Now just get the clunkenwineleaks fixed, and we are in business! :thumbs:

mena, Thanks for posting! :cheers:

·
5,600 Posts
Wow! Still can't believe the GXP beat a Boxster around Gingerman. :eek:

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Thanks for posting that. :thumbs: It's a good read and if there are only 8000 GXPs built this year, I wish they would hurry up and build mine! :willy:

Bob
:agree: :agree: :agree: Me too!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hmmm calling our solstice's a toy - heck yeah its a toy and one heck of a toy at that!!

It would be interesting to send in some of the photos about what some of us have packed into a sol !

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I wish the production would hurry up :willy: I was not as impatient, until the recent articles began to come out. Thanks for the article. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I'm ready, I'm ready!

Interesting to read that they have 3000 orders for the GXP with the capacity to build 8000. Does this mean we will all have our cars, that have been ordered, by mid-annual production? LOL

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Who has an answer for Jimbo's question of the low skidpad number?
GOODYEARs

I've never gotten the promissed traction with a set yet.....

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
Quite frankly I am disappointed about the article in general, especially what was said in the counterpoints. Huge drop in skidpad makes me want to cry. What's the point of upgraded suspension? I was hoping for at least the same if not improved skidpad. What's the point of adding ugly vents for the brakes if they aren't going to perform any better and have terrible fade? The S2000 still is quicker in the quarter mile, and I just don't understand that. What is with this new steering feel issue? It was mentioned in two magazines now. I was hoping for better handling, better braking, a very good steering feel, and slightly faster acceleration times. The only upside is a decrease in cabin noise, but I would gladly trade that for handling, braking, steering feel, and acceleration. Those are performance car traits, I'm not complaining about storage space, putting the top down, interior noise, or anything of that sort. Maybe some of it has to do with tires, the car being new, gas, etc., but I am still concerned.

This gives me huge doubts about trying so hard to get an '07 GXP. I'd hate waiting another year, especially if substantial improvements were not made on the '08s. I hope the article is mostly wrong, because I think if my dealership got an allocation for a manual last week and not an auto and I took it, I would feel upset right now. I have alot of thinking to do about whether or not to get an '07. I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but the article didn't have such a positive impact on me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GOODYEARs

I've never gotten the promissed traction with a set yet.....
This may be part of it. I've never heard good things about the GS-2s and it is my understanding that the GS-D3s were WAY better than the 2s because, quite frankly, the GS-2s suck (Which is not meant to take anything away from how good the GS-D3s are). You might want to message Nigel about this one though since he's the TireRack expert.

But I don't think that is the main culprit in this problem. The problem is weight. You are correct in thinking that adding 150-200 pounds to the car (probably more in this case, since the car is LOADED) wouldn't kill the handling of the car when it's evenly distributed, but that's the rub... it's not evenly distributed. The article briefly touched upon the issue. The weight distribution shifted forward a few percentage points, meaning that most of the additional weight was added to the front -- nearly 200 extra pounds over a single axle WILL make large changes in a car's handling. The extra weight in the engine, cooling ducts, etc. at the front of the car "overloads" the front tires and makes the front tires "give up the ghost" sooner than the rear tires -- which is a term called "understeer." It doesn't matter that the better tires are better, because almost all the weight went over a single pair of tires and overwhelms them sooner. This is my hypothesis.

Edit1: I don't know why it quoted twice. =(

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
I think the writers could be right in saying that maybe they should have spent more time with this car. Also, I disagree with the Verdict: "There's no longer a reason to buy the base Solstice". If the numbers and opinions of this car hold true in the long run, I think that statement is a little extreme. The base model has better handling, same braking, less weight, and more flexibility in chosing options. To make it fast, you need to add aftermarket parts, which is more of a hassle for some but you can get equal or better performance than a factory GXP. Both these cars need better tires anyway so they cancel each other out. Perhaps with an ECM retune and better tires the GXP will drastically improve, but maybe it won't. Maybe if they had the seat height adjuster actually available I would feel better (just kidding).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wish the production would hurry up :willy: I was not as impatient, until the recent articles began to come out. Thanks for the article. :thumbs:
:agree: :agree: :agree:

Add to that a few tweaks and tunes and the Z4 Si and Boxter S are goin down!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The braking distance/fade and lower grip number are a bit disappointing, especially since the gxp has the better suspension. But since the gxp beat the better handling boxster on the track makes me feel a bit better.
+1 , it almost doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
interesting

I think they missed the point that a loaded base car might not make sense compared to the GXP. A driveable base car would probably be $5000 US$ less than a GXP. Here in Canada, if you can do without things like power locks and such, you can have a nice roadster for 8-10 K Canadian dollars less than a GXP. We also pay 15% sales tax in Nova Scotia, so a non GXP still makes sense. Yes, if you want to hang with Z4 and S2000, pony up for the GXP.

Car and Driver never changes though. Hay, the Solstice GXP lists for 20K less than a new Boxter, and stays with it at anything less than 110 MPH. Recognize the value instead of comparing it with a used Boxter. At least Motor Trend could.

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
Putting aside the comparison with the GXP and other cars, just comparing it with itself (base), is where I'm drawing most of my disappointment from. I wonder what a ZOK solstice does on the skidpad compared to a base with standard suspension. A base solstice with the GXP suspension, rear diff, and the right aftermarket turbo setup might be the best way to go (still added weight but probably less than the GXP weight). Those of you with base ZOKs with a Hahn turbo may have the best combo.

I wonder if the test car GXP they used had the torque bar, since that would help balance out some of the added weight in the front of the car.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
The motortrend article stated .89g on their skidpad, gm mentions on their gxp's website that the sport tuned suspension gets .90g's during their testing while c&d gets .85g's. Unless we get a 4th review i think im gonna stick with the higher numbers. Even the acceleration times are slower in the c&d article then the motortrend one.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts