Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,274 Posts
@al_c

Oh you are in the right area. can you pinpoint what it is exactly? It took me a few minutes of staring at it to figure it out and I had to double check to make sure that I was right. It's gonna be a ball buster of a problem to fix too.

This is a hint. The markings I put on the hood are 100% correct.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Here I'll just show ya.

This is the crop of the image you made and I have removed the pieces up to the lines I drew on the hood.

The problem is easier seen this way. Look at those 2 measurements I wrote on the hood. they are 1/4" off from each other.

What is off is the angle of the left scoop. It is about 7° different from the right angle.

The red angle is the exact same as the angle of the scoop on the right side. You can see how it kicks the lower edge of it in closer to the center. The amount it is kicked in is almost exactly 1/4" which is the measurement difference between the centerline and the edges.

In this photo I took the right side and copied it and flipped it and placed it on top of the left side.

The lighting in the above image is going to cause some optical problems looking at it.
If you only concentrate on the shape between the black and the hood you can see that the "wonky" is gone.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you knew what I had to go through in order to locate where the center of the hood actually was you would have been amazed. This is not the only place the hood is not symmetrical. I wasn't able to locate a place that was. I built a frame to hold the hood that also held a laser level that had horizontal and vertical level lines. I aligned the hood with the horizontal line so the 2 corners on the insides of the headlights at the leading edge of the hood sat on the horizontal line. I measured between those same 2 points and cut the number in half. measured one side and marked that half way point. Now I had 3 places to align the level to. the horizontal level to the corners and the vertical with the mark I put on the hood. doing this made sure the hood was square to the laser level.

Now mind you before I could do any of this I had to mount the hood on the car and make adjustments to it so it would sit properly. I then closed the gap on that leading edge to the bumper cover so I knew the leading edge was doing to be as close to square to the center line of the hood as it was going to be.

To fix the curve at the windshield end of the hood I now had a way to make a large compass with a string, The vertical line that is shot from the laser level went far enough out that I was able to extend the rack I made that would allow me to put a screw into it on the vertical line. The tricky bit was where to put the screw, how far away from the hood. This was tricky because the hood has 3 different curves at the windshield edge. I wanted to remove as little as possible in terms of material so I knew the radius was going to have to be really large. I wanted the scoops and center curve to be really close to the same as the windshield. I used the outside most corners to get my curve. I kept the string length the same and moved the screw further out and this gave me the curve for the scoops. I moved the screw in some and I had the curve for the center. because I didn't change the length of the string at all the radius of both the center and the scoops is identical. The outside edge I just found a radius that removed as little material as possible.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That problem was one of those things that could be seen with the hood on the car, but you can't put a finger on what is actually wrong. It wasn't until I got the curve corrected and taken the measurements before I put a finger on the problem.

The thing I am having a hard time with in terms of fixing it is how much bondo it is going to take to fix it. That's a lot of Bondo to have to put down and it has to go the entire length of the hood. I have thought about using expanding foam then shaping the foam and layer fiberglass to correct it. Problem there is it's too small of a change to be able to do that. I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place and no easy way to fix i without adding a bunch of weight to the hood.

I would pepper the entire length with 1mm holes through the outer skin if I was going to Bondo it. this would give the Bondo something to grab onto. I would also make kitty hair (chopped fiberglass mixed into the Bondo) to add additional strength. I think this may be the only way I am going to be able to correct it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I m not too concerned about the work or the time it takes to do it. What concerns me is the potential for the repair to fail. the thickness of the Bondo is what concerns me, the thicker it is the higher probability that it will separate from the hood. I live in a low humidity area, <15% RH so that is at least working on my side.

My other option is to take luan and use it as a form and fill the space with gel coat. I would have to use expanding foam to hold the luan to the hood which would also make sure it was sealed to the hood. I would have to have holes drilled into the luan so I would be able to get the gel coat into the cavity. I would need to come up with some way to vibrate the hood to get the gel coat to flow into the entire space and to get any air bubbles out of it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
And this is why your RK fits better than most others out there. I don't think I'd have to patience to do all that you've done to make this fit properly. Kudos!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I don't even want to get into how much I have had to rasp and sand the bumper cover to get it to align properly. I had to make all kinds of brackets and put shims to get it to sit correctly. I haven't started on the side skirts yet. I am still trying to think of how I am going to shorten one of them. it is 1/4" to long. and I have to kerf cut both of them to get the banana shape out of em. the material was to far stretched on the outside edge and it makes way to large of a ripple for it to not be noticeable.

I have called and e-mailed RKSport at least 20 times and no one ever answers the phone or returns a message and my e-mails go unanswered. I am looking to get information on what they think is the best way to go about getting the side skirts to fit properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't even want to get into how much I have had to rasp and sand the bumper cover to get it to align properly. I had to make all kinds of brackets and put shims to get it to sit correctly. I haven't started on the side skirts yet. I am still trying to think of how I am going to shorten one of them. it is 1/4" to long. and I have to kerf cut both of them to get the banana shape out of em. the material was to far stretched on the outside edge and it makes way to large of a ripple for it to not be noticeable.

I have called and e-mailed RKSport at least 20 times and no one ever answers the phone or returns a message and my e-mails go unanswered. I am looking to get information on what they think is the best way to go about getting the side skirts to fit properly.
How is your custom headlight build going?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I am working on the turn signals and marker light portion of it. I didn't like the way the marker lights looked with a single strip of 52 LEDs (13 RGBW pixels) in them so I am doing a sort of diagonal lined pattern with a total of 88 LEDs (22 RGBW pixels). In order to do what I want to do I had to make a circuit board of each marker light and mount the LED's and make a total of 66 connections to the pixels. I am still working on the first one. I am about to place the pixels.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
After having my Sol in LA for 6 months (ish) now and mostly daily driving, I finally ran into (not literally) another kappa. Took this picture pulling out from a green light so not the best…
B7D48AB5-DE12-4087-AD96-F0B74FDE6D00.jpeg

21 - 32 of 32 Posts