Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm doing some maintenance on the car and had to remove the bra and my inner fender not 2 years old is cracked aaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:not bad mind you but being the freak that I am I'm going to order a new set before the GM ones are not available anymore I just got done replacing the drivers side .Anyway at this point I know that the GXP liners have vent and I'm thinking about adding more air flow into my engine compartment can anyone give me some idea were this vent is located on the liner .Thanks ! ps and before anyone asks I did the service bulletin follow up and replaced the bolts with plastic Christmas trees except where my bra attaches

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The GXP brake vent comes through the fender liner in the lower front connected with a tube that goes to the grill next to the fog lights. That 4 inch hole would not vent into engine compartment very much. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
If you are thinking about venting the brake ducts to the engine compartment. Just get the NA fenders. I would have to look at it, not sure there is room to do what you want as it would have to go over the top of the frame, in front of the fender I think.. Would not be room inside the fender as turns would hit what ever tubing you might try to use I think. Not where I can look at it now. Have spent a couple of hours looking at that area, as thinking about deleting the tube and putting LED off road lights in that area..

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I replaced both my inner fenders and I just left the tubes out. You still get a little air to the bakes and you get more air into the engine compartment. You don't have to put a tube to direct it up, it hits the fender and goes up anyway. Now you could get more if you did but I don't think it is needed.

Reactions: GODROD

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been thinking about this for a while : Removing the fog /turn signal set up, having a ring machined with a provision for an LED light set up for the turn signal adding some type of screening ,and off set brackets to mount 2 round fog lights similar to the old foreign car set ups .I could then run some type of duct to my engine compartment for additional cooling as they used to do in drag and Trans Am racing with cars that had a quad headlight system .I know I could swap over a GXP fascia but I'm always into a different look .

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Moving your license plate would also help.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moving your license plate would also help.
No plate when I installed the turbo kit I removed it I'm going to update some pics soon as I've done some changes since that picture was taken just have to figure out how to do it again .

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I replaced both my inner fenders and I just left the tubes out. You still get a little air to the bakes and you get more air into the engine compartment. You don't have to put a tube to direct it up, it hits the fender and goes up anyway. Now you could get more if you did but I don't think it is needed.
I guess GM place them there for no reason.
They should of hired MarkGXP and saved money by not having to design and make those brake inlet tubes.... :devil:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I guess GM place them there for no reason.
They should of hired MarkGXP and saved money by not having to design and make those brake inlet tubes.... :devil:
I do recognize the sarcasm in your statement and if we followed your logic, you should never mod anything because the GM engineers designed it that way for a reason. I know I am giving up brake life but I don't do autocross but I do look for every inch of horsepower from it so a few degrees cooler intake air helps. >:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts