Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
i didnt know where to put this since this forum frowns on racing, BUT since this is technically classified as performance data proving the solo exhaust gives significant power i figure ill put it here. as per motortrend a 2006 mitsubishi lancer evolution runs a 13.3 in the 1/4. the guy i ran had the slip showing he ran a 13.1 with his mods. the solstice gxp manual as per motortrend runs a 14.2 bone stock, however i believe someone on this forum ran a 13.8 stock. so, we will use that time. i have the fujita intercooler pipes, fujita intake, solo rcd kit no muffler at all, and a 5 speed manual. we went from 5mph to about 115. now i should have had my a$$ handed to me but i went for it anyway. well at 60 i was ahead by 2-3 car lengths. by 85 i was ahead by about 1 length and at 105 or so we were dead even til we slowed down.

point is

1. the exhaust definitly gave me a bit of power.

2. apparently the vehicles can gain significant power without reprogramming the ecu

i will never call my car slow again:lol:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Brendand. Please check your e-mail. Thanks.
Thanks Jeff. Instructions were awesome. I'll let everyone know here how long the dealer took. Hopefully if they're good, not more than an hour. I read the instructions on removing the rear fascia and it doesn't look that difficult. I'm not sure what they'll say about having to cut the black plastic stiffening piece behind the fascia though. Will it be less supportive now being cut up like that? I'm guessing so.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well, the dealer charged me $212 to install the exhaust. I know that's too much, but I wasn't able to do it myself. So I guess it took them about 1.696 hours at $125 / hour. Anyway, they did a pretty good job and I got my oil filter and oil changed at the same time (that was extra though). Total bill was $330 CAD. Ick!

Anyway... as I sent Jeff in an email.... WOW!!!!!!!! This thing rocks! It sounds soooo cool. I just want to go out and drive all the time now. The growl is awesome. When the dealer called me to tell me my car was ready he said "Hello sir, your hotrod is ready". I laughed and asked how it sounded. He said "you have NO idea! It's awesome!". That was pretty cool to hear. It also looks really good with the deep blue rear fascia. I will have pictures and hopefully some sound clips soon.

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi Brendand. We're so glad you're happy with your system. That's really nice of the GM dealership to compliment the system. Typically they trash talk anything but GM parts. Your car looks great!!

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi Bill. The 3" mandrel pipe has a transition at the stamped Y pipe ( the best for flow ) into two 2 1/2 dual pipes. The transition into the dual 2 1/2 inch pipes doesn't restrict it as it's almost 5 inches worth of flow. The 2 1/2 also fits better around the rear diff. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Hi Bill. The 3" mandrel pipe has a transition at the stamped Y pipe ( the best for flow ) into two 2 1/2 dual pipes. The transition into the dual 2 1/2 inch pipes doesn't restrict it as it's almost 5 inches worth of flow. The 2 1/2 also fits better around the rear diff. Thanks.
I am just trying to understand your explanation, so please excuse my question, but I am an engineer and I can't help but get wrapped up in the small details.

I am trying to understand where you are getting the 5 inches of flow. If the pipes are all circular, then two 2 1/2" pipes aren't really equivalent to one 5" pipe. Two 2 1/2" pipes would be closer to one 3 1/2" pipe in cross sectional area.

So are you saying that the Y pipe opens the flow up to 5 inches and then restricts it back down going into the 2 1/2" pipes, or were you just using the 5 inches as a rough estimate for the amount of flow through the two 2 1/2" pipes?

I would think that going from 3" of flow to an equivalent of 3 1/2" area of flow is still an improvement, and certainly wouldn't restrict flow in any way, right?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I am just trying to understand your explanation, so please excuse my question, but I am an engineer and I can't help but get wrapped up in the small details.

I am trying to understand where you are getting the 5 inches of flow. If the pipes are all circular, then two 2 1/2" pipes aren't really equivalent to one 5" pipe. Two 2 1/2" pipes would be closer to one 3 1/2" pipe in cross sectional area.
:glol: That's hysterical, but I guess your right :bow:. I had to google the formula for area of a circle as it's been a while so I wasn't sure I was remembering correctly, but I have to agree, cross section of two 2 1/2" pipes is roughly equal to one single 3 1/2"

I would think that going from 3" of flow to an equivalent of 3 1/2" area of flow is still an improvement, and certainly wouldn't restrict flow in any way, right?
:yesnod:

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi Dengel. Yes you're right. I didn't know the exact formula but what I was trying to point out is that the two 2 1/2 pipes don't restrict the system from the 3" front pipe. These small things are good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a question Jeff (raises hand)! If and when I where to order this killer exhaust, would it at all be practical to ask if there where any way the exhaust tips could be molded/bent so that they would be more streamlined with the rear valence of the car? Is it considerably more difficult? Thanks!

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi Lazy Eye. We tried, tried, and retried, different tips, heights, angles etc. and have found what we believe to be the very best tip, length and placement. Tips are certainly a personal taste and depending on what you want we might be able to alter them a bit. One word of caution, even the same tip that's out a bit further or hangs 3/4 of an inch lower, or points down, drastically changes the look of the rear end. In our opinion all of the examples I've just mentioned change it for the worse. Also you may be looking at the pics while the car is up in the air. The look changes a lot when the car is on the ground. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Very nice Spiky!!!! BTW, does the rear valance come painted or do we have to get a body shop to paint it?
It comes painted if you ask him to have it painted.

To All: Keep in mind, though, that this is to promote the GXP RCD II exhaust system from SOLO Performance and not the diffuser...there is another thread that I started on the diffuser which is located here

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can anyone tell me how does the sound compare for the Solo GXP RCD II versus the GXP Solo Mach Shortie? Is there a stacked version of the GXP RCD II still available?

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hi Rally. Thanks for your interest. The GXP-RCD and Mach Shorty sound the same. They bot use our 11" dual in dual out muffler. We do have the stacked version available too. I'm on holidays till Sat. I can only check PM's when we come into town so I may not respond right away. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks Jeff. Instructions were awesome. I'll let everyone know here how long the dealer took. Hopefully if they're good, not more than an hour. I read the instructions on removing the rear fascia and it doesn't look that difficult. I'm not sure what they'll say about having to cut the black plastic stiffening piece behind the fascia though. Will it be less supportive now being cut up like that? I'm guessing so.
Hi Brendand,
which plastic piece are you talking about here. Can it be unbolted instead of cut?

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
never mind i didn't read before saying something stupid

41 - 60 of 60 Posts