Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!
Solstice GXP starts fine, runs fine for about 5 seconds, and then sputters for 5-10 seconds and stalls.
This happens on "cold" starts (in Texas so ambient temp is still 75 degrees), and after repeating a few times, will finally stay running and run normally. If the motor has been recently run, it starts fine. This issue just started yesterday, and has never happened before.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Using a code reader, what codes do you get?

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
Does the coolant temperature display correctly?

Did you do anything between it working and it not working?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using a code reader, what codes do you get?
Thank y'all for hopping on to help!
Ah, thanks for the reminder, I forgot to mention: no CEL, no codes. Nothing done between when it worked and when it didn't.
Also, engine is mostly stock. I have the trifecta canned tune and metal charge pipes, both have been on there for several years and have functioned perfectly.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Did you happen to just fill up your car with gas before this started happening?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, I removed the trifecta tune and started it up this morning, and it ran perfectly. I'm going to see if the symptoms come back at all.

Has anyone seen a tune cause this odd behavior?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update, I removed the trifecta tune and started it up this morning, and it ran perfectly. I'm going to see if the symptoms come back at all.

I have not but as someone who WANT'S to get a Trifecta tune soon, this is concerning... LOL

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts

let us know if removing the tune fixed it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not but as someone who WANT'S to get a Trifecta tune soon, this is concerning... LOL
Yeah, it would concern me too! Honestly, the tune has been on there for over 5 years and has been an excellent mod, probably my favorite. I'll do more testing and see if the condition comes back.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Trifecta writes their tunes in an odd way to allow for enabling the tune using the cruise control button or the traction control button. I have read somewhere that this can cause a possible problem, and not one that shows up right away. It probably has something to do with where the tune gets written into the ECM memory. There is a good chance that maybe the tune got corrupted, if you flash the tune to the car and it starts up without an issue then this is most likely the case.

That is the only thing I suggest you try. I wonder if where trifecta writes it's tune to is not 100% unused space. Meaning space that is extra and is never going to get used by anything the ECM does. I know that these cars will store data for the next time you start the car. Possibly a chunk of the tune got overwritten.

If you flash the vehicle again and all is OK then I would be on the phone with Trifecta about it. I would ask about where the tune gets written and the chances of it being overwritten by the ECM. I would have to go digging to see if I can locate that forum post I read somewhere about the issue. whether or not Trifecta acknowledges the problem is a whole other thing. So make sure you have a way to flash the stock tune back onto the car in the car at all times if you are going to continue to use the Trifecta tune if it still works. No one likes getting stranded.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank y'all so much for your input and advice! I'm going to continue to test and I'll let you know what I find out and if I can replicate the issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will (again) suggest that you pull the MAP sensors and the Manifold Purge Solenoid to check the O-rings for integrity. If they look good replace them after lubricating them with silicone grease. It can't hurt and it could help a lot to eliminate rough running/stalling after cold startup. If those O-rings have never been checked/replaced that could well be a major factor re. the conditions you've described. Look up a discussion over code P0106 (this code may or not be thrown). It is a simple, no cost fix if that is a part of or all of your problem.
grandpop07 ( I have a 2009 GXP)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Did you get the tune from Trifecta directly or did you purchase it from another Trifecta vendor.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The trick with these types of issues is to find a cause. I agree with @grandpop07 about the o-rings. The purge valve solenoid is not all that expensive and you may just consider ordering a new one. Only use a GM part. I have found that aftermarket ones only last a year at best. I have had my purge valve solenoid go bad and not throw a code. It was leaking somehow through the housing on it but it was leaking into the intake manifold and not to the tank side. Caused an erratic idle. If I flicked the thing with my finger it would be fine for a few days and then the problem would come back. This was one of the non GM replacements that I tried. when I had the second non GM one go bad and get stuck open in < 1 year I said screw it and bought a GM one. I just put that one in last month. I will see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Have you ever run any complete fuel system cleaner through it? does it sit for periods? Our GXP had an issue a couple years back regarding the GMPP tune and known kit wiring connections, but that put it in limp mode. I can get some rough idle if we let it sit more than a week or two at a time in the garage. I like to get fresh fuel in, and every several years the Techron complete fuel system treatment, the car has yet to hit 8k.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It could have also been a quinky dink with the flash. If you have a muddied up purge valve solenoid coupled with a full tank of gas and the car was sitting in the sun, it could be flooding it's self. if those things apply then taking the gas cap off would allow the car to start.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts