Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I just got my 2007 GXP and the radio channels have a lot of static. I see the previous owner put on a shorty antenna. Does that usually not work well? Is there a preferred antenna? Thanks

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Just curious, I just got my 2007 GXP and the radio channels have a lot of static. I see the previous owner put on a shorty antenna. Does that usually not work well? Is there a preferred antenna? Thanks
I tried the shorty. It looks great but reception really sucks. Finally went with the opel antenna. Not quite as good as the OE antenna but good enough for your locl stations. Still keep my OE antenna in the boot for long trips.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I did the same, tried the shorty and then went to an Opel GT antenna. The shorty didn't get anything but the most local of stations.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
If you have a phone charger (or similar device) plugged up, remove it.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I tried a signal booster on my stubby and found that it boosts everything. static, signal loss, fading, etc. You get every disadvantage of a stubby, only louder.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Is there anything on the airwaves worth listening to? Maybe weather and/or traffic if I'm on a trip.

Bought a Sony media player with a 256 gb SD card - listen to just about everything I own in full lossless.

·
Super Moderator
6,243 Posts
Nine and a half thousand songs on an SD card. It isn't lossless, but it is playing in a convertible with the top down so it really doesn't matter.

I printed a cap for the antenna stud, and keep the antenna in the trunk in case of an "emergency".

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
The "stubby" isn't really an antenna; it's just a decoration to cover the antenna base. I got an inexpensive Opel-like universal antenna at an auto parts store that works OK, but I listen to XM almost exclusively.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm still using the factory antenna on my '09 coupe. My preferred FM station is 50 miles away. With the coupe top removed my radio reception drops off significantly. Any other coupe owners notice this problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts