Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I’ve searched this forum pretty well, but couldn’t find a solid answer on this. I just bout a GXP with 53,000 miles and original water pump, so I’m trying to get as much info on it as possible so I know when its about to go. I know it only leaks when hot, so pay attention to temps and stuff. Right now its running around 194-204 degrees with normal driving in 60 degree weather. Does that sound like a good temp range? Also does anyone know what the of coolant it takes so I can keep a bottle in the trunk?

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
to clarify...

Our cars take 2 gallons of coolant.
Some people will buy 2 gallons of pre-diluted dexcool.
Other people , like me, will buy one gallon of 100% dexcool , and 1 gallon of distilled water.

Reactions: Hurricane87

·
Registered
2007 Soltice GXP manual
38 Posts
Confirming those are the temps that I see as well.

I'm with sirwm in that I like to mix the coolant myself so that if there are any issues, I only have the person in the mirror to blame.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Confirming those are the temps that I see as well.

I'm with sirwm in that I like to mix the coolant myself so that if there are any issues, I only have the person in the mirror to blame.
I like that saying. I do try and involve as few people in fixes as possible ever since I took my ol jeep to a autozone to get some power steering fluid and the tech said he could top it off for me. He ended up filling my brake fluid fil up point with power steering fluid, and I didn't know he did that until 3 months later when all my brakes failed😆

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts
With 50/50 Dexcool at about $13 and concentrate at $15 (plus $1 for the water) you can save $10 or so mixing it yourself, but I don't see any more risk in one than the other.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Hey Guys,
I’ve searched this forum pretty well, but couldn’t find a solid answer on this. I just bout a GXP with 53,000 miles and original water pump, so I’m trying to get as much info on it as possible so I know when its about to go. I know it only leaks when hot, so pay attention to temps and stuff. Right now its running around 194-204 degrees with normal driving in 60 degree weather. Does that sound like a good temp range? Also does anyone know what the of coolant it takes so I can keep a bottle in the trunk?
Hey Guys,
Your temps are fine. There are all kinds of ways to go with the coolant. I like the idea of keeping a bottle or two of premixed 50/50 Dexcool handy. Advice is a lot cheaper than Dexcool though, and I don't keep any extra in the car.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,537 Posts
Those temps sound perfect. Right where I am running in similar temps. Just did the coolant (and thermostat and water pump) on mine. So fresh everything with no air bubble at those temps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts