Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, yesterday I was driving home and my coolant temp light came on, I checked the temp on the DIC and it was climbing up to 275, since I was just a mile from home I just rolled into my parking spot. I checked the coolant and it was very very low...I added coolant, and was hoping it was fixed. Drove today as it was fine for a couple miles then shot back up again...I talked to some people that know more about cars than I do , and they were saying that maybe the thermostat is stuck...I also noticed that the heat was not working, the air would blow but no heat ...does this sound like it could be a bad thermostat and could someone write me a quick how to replace thermostat for GXP?

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Losing coolant is NOT the thermostat. You probably need a new water pump - classic symptoms.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'm not sure that it was losing coolant at an increased rate, I just had not checked it (I'm assuming that coolant is lost normally at a certain rate?)

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I know there are 4 gaskets that you will need according to what I've read....one of them being the turbo exhaust gasket..... If you take it to a dealer, let me know, I'll give you a ball park of how much the thermostat would be to replace.... A dealer will want about 3.5 hours and charge you somewhere in the neighborhood of $480.....

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I know there are 4 gaskets that you will need according to what I've read....one of them being the turbo exhaust gasket.....
If you follow the doc at that link, DDM do it without taking off the turbo, so you shouldn't need the turbo gasket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also the DDM works instructions for the water pump also tell you how to remove the Thermostat as well. It's not too difficult if you are doing it yourself. There are only 2 bolts on the top of it, but you need to remove the windshield shroud because it's back there underneath it. It is all explained in the DDM works instructions. I had to replace my water pump recently. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts