Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 GXP with 5 speed. Car is currently completely stock. I am looking at getting tune from Performance Autowerks later this month in Arkansas. I would appreciate input from anyone who has this tune.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I have his tune.

but it's a custom tune, as I have other mods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to go with Trifecta Budget tune, but it appears I won't be able to get that done at the national convention. Performance Werks will be doing tunes, and my main concern is reliability.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
As far as "tunes" go, there is nothing unreliable about them. The unreliability comes from your motor and turbo. Most canned tunes tune your motor/turbo to within an certain standard. Meaning that it is done for longevity and daily driving. Dyno tunes are a different story. You can tell the tuner what you want and what you use your car for. Like me, mine was a daily when I had it dyno'd. He asked if I was happy with 285bhp or if I wanted a touch more. I told him that was fine as I wanted reliability.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Same with mine.

Pwerks tuned mine to 285hp 355tq

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Any time you can get a tune done live, is better than a canned tune.
That said the tuner should be one with a good track record of happy customers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dave at P werks just completed my tune, ( while I waited) this past Weds. Very pleased with the results. As far as reliability goes, Dave says religious maintenance is the key, oil changes ect. Personally I think any car if well taken care of and not abused such as racing, constant rabbit starts will last for years with only the occasional right foot abuse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as "tunes" go, there is nothing unreliable about them. The unreliability comes from your motor and turbo. Most canned tunes tune your motor/turbo to within an certain standard. Meaning that it is done for longevity and daily driving. Dyno tunes are a different story. You can tell the tuner what you want and what you use your car for. Like me, mine was a daily when I had it dyno'd. He asked if I was happy with 285bhp or if I wanted a touch more. I told him that was fine as I wanted reliability.
i'm gonna disagree, a bad tune will make your car drive inconsistent and unreliable (bad cold start, bad operating temp drivability, ect. ect...) i had a nightmare from trifecta which resulted a waste of 6 months, and bunch of cash...

·
Registered
384 Posts
i'm gonna disagree, a bad tune will make your car drive inconsistent and unreliable (bad cold start, bad operating temp drivability, ect. ect...) i had a nightmare from trifecta which resulted a waste of 6 months, and bunch of cash...
Slobalt, was that trifecta tune for an N/A with an aftermarket turbo or supercharger kit?

·
Registered
558 Posts
[quoteI was going to go with Trifecta Budget tune][/quote]
I have the Trifecta budget tune and love it. Great bang for the buck. I did however get it turned on/off with the cruise control but unfortunately it works the opposite of what I anticipated. In retrospect I would get it on all the time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was going to go with Trifecta Budget tune
I have the Trifecta budget tune and love it. Great bang for the buck. I did however get it turned on/off with the cruise control but unfortunately it works the opposite of what I anticipated. In retrospect I would get it on all the time.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I was going to drive my auto N/A coupe up to JR performance in Phoenix for a tune but they no longer tune 4 bangers so I went with a Trifecta DIY tune. It was not quite as advertised and did not include a TCM tune as their installation instructions said. They claim shift points are somehow managed by the ECM tune. Also they no longer offer tune selection via the cruise control so it is always on - no way to compare tuned vs stock. Seems to run okay but gas mileage is poor for a small car. That probably has more to do with gearing than tune - 80 mph = 3200 rpm when it could be 2500 rpm.

If you still have your cable maybe Trifecta will send you the new tuning.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Seems to run okay but gas mileage is poor for a small car. That probably has more to do with gearing than tune - 80 mph = 3200 rpm when it could be 2500 rpm.

If you still have your cable maybe Trifecta will send you the new tuning.
What do you consider poor MPG? I get 28-30 in the city, 36-38 at 70mph and 40+MPG at 85mph. And I'm not a light footed driver. I got 39mpg going to the west side of the state. Of course I have a dyno tune.... And of course many here don't get the mpg I get. I think most here get 24-26 in the city and 32-34 on the highway.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts

·
Premium Member
538 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
What do you consider poor MPG? I get 28-30 in the city, 36-38 at 70mph and 40+MPG at 85mph. And I'm not a light footed driver. I got 39mpg going to the west side of the state. Of course I have a dyno tune.... And of course many here don't get the mpg I get. I think most here get 24-26 in the city and 32-34 on the highway.
40+MPG at 85mph.... caca de toro.... maybe instant, but not average.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts