Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of threads about tunes and the most common are the gm and trifecta tunes. But are these tunes customizable as you upgrade other components? I'm more inclined to go with a tune that uses a tuner module that interfaces with a laptop rather than having to pay more for upgrades like with the trifecta. Any thoughts would be appreciated and I would like to hear from anyone using a tuner module. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Thr high kevel trifecta tunes are “for life” with retunes on new mods.
That being said i think PAW offers something similiar except you have to buy HP Tuners as well.
Worth calling DDM and PAW and ask what they offer.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Thanks for the info
-The downside to Trifecta is absolutely no phone support (there is no phone number). And about 7-14 days between tunes depending on how busy they are. If you go into it aware of that their service otherwise is great. I have found them to be friendly and helpful. The tunes are locked and you cant see what they are doing so, not for the DIY enthusiast that wants to learn about the process.

-Dave at PAW will be available to speak on the phone in addition to email. Since he sells a lot of the upgrades one might tune for, he also has a history tuning them for those upgrades directly.

-Dave at DDM is pretty much the same deal as PAW.

My personal opinion is: knowing what i know now, and having gone with the upgrades I have gone with, in retrospect i should have just gone with Dave at PAW. Also, if you are a tweaker, owning HP Tuners can be an interesting rabbit hole to dive into.

YMMV of course.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I really don't want a tune that is preset. There's a Dyno tuner here local that has Dyno tuned my carbureted street rods for years and he also does newer computer turbo cars but he's not familiar with the different tunes available for the gxp. What are the websites for Ddm and PAW?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with Martin at RPM Motorsports.

I got the Stage II tune with several hours of phone time to dial it in (AND an option to add more "onions" to it....which I declined because I don't want the internals of my engine to become external!) and walked away with the base tune and the final modified tune.

I can take those files anywhere and have them tweaked.....but I'm not messing with them myself without several months (years) of training. There are THOUSANDS of variables in there....and maybe FOUR that won't grenade your engine if you goof!

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Just guessing but thats how i interpreted Paulky_2000s avatar.
:)

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,372 Posts
I can tell you that Trifecta will not turn the boost up over 24psi. Even if you have an EFR turbo they won't do it. also with trifecta you do not own your tune they do. so you do not have access to it and they will not give you access to it.

The only tune that is not like that is going to be one that gets done using HPTuners. It has a much higher price tag because of the hardware that has to be bought and the vehicle licensing that needs to be bought on top of what the tuner wants to get paid. Figure in the 700 to 1000 area for a full custom tune that you own.

DO NOT let a person attempt to tune your vehicle unless they have a lot of experience doing it. The ECMs do not work like traditional vehicle ECM and they don't tune the same. The engine is easily blown if the tuner does not know what they are doing or adjusts something they shouldn't be. Go with someone like Dave at Performance AutoWerkz. he has over a decade of experience building and tuning kappas.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I've already ruled out the trifecta and gm tunes. I'm going to do some research on a few others. My Dyno/ tuner guy has lots of experience doing turbo engines. Nowadays that's the bulk of his work. I talked to him yesterday and he hasn't done a solstice 2 litre but he's going to do some research and networking with other tuners. I have complete confidence in him. He's not afraid of saying "I don't know". I'm a old school Chevy guy, built a few hotrods over the years but I know nothing about turbo's and the ECM's used to control newer cars. When it comes to newer cars I'm just a parts changer. I'm smart enough to know when to let a expert do the work.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I have used the GMPP, basic Trifecta and custom Trifecta. All did what they were supposed to do and Trifecta agreed to let me add a big wheel turbo later (when warranty expired) and they would retune it for minimal charge.

Unless you are going to increasingly large turbos that you change every 6 months, why would anyone need to retune after you settle on which turbo you are going to use?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts