Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be purchasing and installing a turbo upgrade in the next month or so. I am down to two options. 1. The W3 from Performance Autoworks and 2. The GT2871 from Werks Racing.

Opinions?....Pro's.......Con's....???

The W3 is a little more expensive. The 2871, once you include a BOV and install kit is very closely priced.

Not sure which way to go.

HELP!!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'd do EFR 6758 or nothing. PAW can do them and I posted recently in their subforum on this and there is a good read. It spools even quicker and faster than the 2871 and it will make way more power. Not the cheap option, but it is the cadillac of turbo's imo.

The w2 and w3 make good high rpm power, but at the expense of low rpm spool and more lag.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mmmmm??....EFR 6758..Not familiar. Can you please point me in the right direction to check this out?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Check my "EFR Garrett Build". Or LNF Big Turbo Swap- Werks & gmtech team up on an EFR 6758 kit . Mods - Engine 2.0 Turbo, pg 3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd do EFR 6758 or nothing. PAW can do them and I posted recently in their subforum on this and there is a good read. It spools even quicker and faster than the 2871 and it will make way more power. Not the cheap option, but it is the cadillac of turbo's imo.

The w2 and w3 make good high rpm power, but at the expense of low rpm spool and more lag.

I agree totally, the EFR is the only upgrade that is really worth the time or money invested. Because it comes on so quick and early for a turbo of it's size, you have max boost over a much larger part of the power band than any other turbo. It's not the cheapest way to go, but by far the best, and you get what you pay for. Check with Dave at Werks.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
True to the EFR 6758 but you need a lot more money than the DDM GT2871 upgrade.
The GT2871 is good for about 330 to 350 WHP.
The EFR6758 will go past 400WHP but it will cost you more. Also you need the right tuner if you want to keep the motor stock with it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The GT2871 is good for about 330 to 350 WHP.
The EFR6758 will go past 400WHP but it will cost you more. Also you need the right tuner if you want to keep the motor stock with it.
I've been watching the turbo options for years now and originally had high hopes for the 2871. I've never seen the 2871 dyno at 330-350 whp on the GXP. Got any links or dyno charts? And are those #'s with additional power adders such as e47 or water/meth? I've only seen 92 octane gas lnf 2871 #'s at 300-310 whp.

From what I've seen, the 6758 spools about 500 rpm sooner than the 2871, and hella faster too. That "power under the curve" is a big advantage.

And as mentioned in linked threads, having power headroom on the 6758 is a bonus. I'd likely just build a 6758 to 350-375 whp and be done. No need to be 400+whp for me. Although it would be there if wanted in the future.

I'm sure PAW can provide a decent tune. And there is multiple HP tuners 6758 experience, which helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been watching the turbo options for years now and originally had high hopes for the 2871. I've never seen the 2871 dyno at 330-350 whp on the GXP. Got any links or dyno charts? And are those #'s with additional power adders such as e47 or water/meth? I've only seen 92 octane gas lnf 2871 #'s at 300-310 whp.

From what I've seen, the 6758 spools about 500 rpm sooner than the 2871, and hella faster too. That "power under the curve" is a big advantage.

And as mentioned in linked threads, having power headroom on the 6758 is a bonus. I'd likely just build a 6758 to 350-375 whp and be done. No need to be 400+whp for me. Although it would be there if wanted in the future.

I'm sure PAW can provide a decent tune. And there is multiple HP tuners 6758 experience, which helps.
The 6758 does spool about 5-600 rpm later than stock, but when it does, it's lightning fast to full boost. Again no other turbo of that size can do it. I agree with the concept of tune to a lower power level, and have the head room for future power if you do internal mods later. That's exactly the approach I took. If you go HP tuner and buy your turbo parts form Werks, Dave will tune it for you. He did a super job on mine. Just log a pull, send it to him and he will send an update. You keep up this process until both you and he are happy with the tune. I feel confident that I'm completely safe with stock internals and on the **** 91 octane I'm stuck with here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The way I see it is if you really want a top notch turbo for racing then the 6758 is an awesome choice but, if you just want a little extra for street fun I wouldn't suggest the EFR. I can't justify the cost of the EFR if you don't plan to push your car hard enough to really get the full potential of the turbo.

If you have the money for an EFR setup you will be very happy but, if you're on a budget, a direct replacement turbo will work just fine.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
kwtoxman:
At 93 octane tune Dave from DDM can tune it to the 330 WHP is my understanding.
You can get an EFR 6758 for as low as $1495.00.
However not been a direct bolt on, then you have to get all the other pieces that makes it go higher in $$$ very quickly.
I am a believer of the power of the EFR, but if you have a budget, then the GT2871 fits the bill very nicely.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thx for the info LV, I've done some reading on the 2871. If one wants a bolt-on turbo, why not the ZFR (bolt on EFR6758)? No need for a BOV like the 2871 so that saves $$.

Going for a new manifold helps though. gmtech16450yz discusses the werks kit in his thread here and the advantages the werks manifold gave in early and fast spool, plus more peak hp.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I am not familiar with the ZFR EFR6758 and it's cost.
I know about the Werks manifold, but the price which I can longer find in their WEB site, seems to me it was more than what the EFR6758 cost.
By the way you do not have to have an external BOV with the GT2871, although DDM seems to want you to get one with this setup.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your input guys. However, I have decided that my choices are limited to either the W3 or the 2871. This is somewhat of a daily driver, not a race car. I need it to be driveable in traffic and reliable. I have no experience with HPTuners, and need my tune to be remotely done. I have sent Dave an email to see if he can remotely tune the W3 upgrade, but have not heard back yet.

I have sent DDM another email with questions, but I think they are sick of me asking questions and have not heard if They can tune the 2871 via Trifecta.

I'm still trying to recieve comparisons between the two options. More powerrrrrrrr, which spools faster, which will be more driveable etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Just a dumb question here... Do you already have an AM intercooler? How about a high flow cat? If you're going with a bigger turbo, you will need those items as well.

EDIT: Errr....nevermind.... Just looked at your photos. You know what's going on.... LOL...

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
DDM was at a meet in MD this past weekend and that is probably why he has not answered you.
By the way if you are considering the WERKS W3 you may want to take a look at the
ZZP ZFR6758 at $1899.00
That is a complete bolt of an EFR6758 Bog Warner Turbo (modified to fit on our 2.0 LNF). You will need to contact ZZP for more info, since they are into Cobalts and HHR's but it should work OK on our Solstice.
Here is the link to their web site and info on it.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1094-ZFR-Turbo.aspx

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why does DDM's GT2871 upgrade require a aftermarket BOV and Werks W3 does not? Is there a primary build difference between the two?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes, the Werks W3 has built in recirculation valve.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am excited to say that I have heard back from Trifecta, and they tell me they have had a ton of experience in tuning the ZFR6758 from ZZP. I need to contact ZZP and speak to them about whether the kit they offer for HHR and Cobolt with work on my GXP without issue. I can't forsee any problems. With Vince at the reigns tuning, I think this is the package I am moving forward with. Under $2000, which is also cheaper than the W3 or 2871 (once you include a BOV), super fast spooling, state-of-the-art turbo and huge headroom for future internal mods. I'm so glad I asked the question. I was origionally sold on the 2871 before I started researching. Thanks to all for your help.

I will be documenting the install and subsequent results as I go along.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts