Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...bought a 2008 GXP yesterday. We know nothing about turbo engines sad to say. The car drove beautifully all the way home. We had to drive 250 miles to get this little beauty. I know....crazy. Just cannot find a good one as you know.

Now, my hubby has been reading about the turbos on the internet, second guessing this purchase and getting all worked up. It has only 20, 541 miles and a two owner. Beautiful car. So, this little whistling noise happens when you let off the accelerator and doesn't affect how it drives, etc. Please tell me we didn't buy a lemon. : (

Guess it is our fault for not brushing up on turbos. The salesman said these are designed that way and there is nothing wrong with it and that is how a turbo runs...yeah, trying to get us to buy it? LOL Hubby is getting all worked up reading all kinds of posts saying this is normal and also there are issues.

Please help! : )

Thank you.

Tammy

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
That's the BOV (blow off valve) that whistles. Part of the turbo and it's suppose to do that when you decelerate.

IMO it's a sound I love to hear even though I don't have a GXP.

Enjoy the car to it's full potential....it will bring you mikes of smiles!

·
Registered
715 Posts
You'll hear it more with the top down. Like MomsSol says, it is you BOV that is blowing out the additional air in the turbo that is not being used. Unless it sounds like a duck, the whooshing sound is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
As others say, yours is fine. If, however, it sounds like a dentist's drill when you accelerate, THAT's not fine.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Often you will hear the reflected sound of the turbo unwinding. If you are around bug trucks, every time they shift you can hear it. In our cars you hear the sound of the impeller whistling as it meets the wind resistance as it slows. If you are near a concrete wall or even tall curbs you can hear it reflected back at you. It's totally normal. It's the sound of POWER. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
There is a little noise with the stock intake but if the car has a cold air intake the noise will be more pronounced. Some claim it sounds like the quack of a duck. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Don't listen to any of these people, they have no idea what they are talking about!

Every time you hear that whistle, you are just one step closer to the engine blowing a hole right through the hood........

;)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
OH GS Stage 1 I hope she sees your ;) instead of believing what you just posted.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey all...bought a 2008 GXP yesterday. We know nothing about turbo engines sad to say. The car drove beautifully all the way home. We had to drive 250 miles to get this little beauty. I know....crazy. Just cannot find a good one as you know.

Now, my hubby has been reading about the turbos on the internet, second guessing this purchase and getting all worked up. It has only 20, 541 miles and a two owner. Beautiful car. So, this little whistling noise happens when you let off the accelerator and doesn't affect how it drives, etc. Please tell me we didn't buy a lemon. : (

Guess it is our fault for not brushing up on turbos. The salesman said these are designed that way and there is nothing wrong with it and that is how a turbo runs...yeah, trying to get us to buy it? LOL Hubby is getting all worked up reading all kinds of posts saying this is normal and also there are issues.

Please help! : )

Thank you.

Tammy
Your concern is certainly understandable. Keep us updated if you have any issues you feel are outside the operating norm. If you decide to have it examined by a dealership or would like us to run your VIN# for recalls, feel free to PM us. Please include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership, contact information, and mileage. Also I would suggest utilizing the Pontiac Owner Center for a variety of vehicle specific information. I hope all is going well. Regard!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Pontiac Owner Resources and Information | Pontiac

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Hey, welcome!!

I've had mine for about 6 months now. The whistling is normal. The sounds of metal rocks rattling around at high speed when it's cold is normal (this is just the fuel pump pressurizing the line). Then the "clock tick" once warm is normal...it's the high pressure fuel pump. See my video:

20120930_115742.mp4 - YouTube

About 14 - 18 second mark you can hear the whistle, then again when I go around to the front of the car. Your exhaust won't sound like mine....mine's different! ;)

All in all these are GREAT little cars! You will have a lot of fun with it!!! Don't worry about the turbo at all. They've made huge strides in improving their reliability. The one thing you want to do though is ALWAYS use MOBIL 1 oil when you change the oil. If you use regular conventional oil, you will destroy the turbo. ALWAYS remind them when you take it in for an oil change!!!!!! If you have any questions, these guys are all great and very knowledgable!!! Welcome to ownership!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Now, my hubby has been reading about the turbos on the internet, second guessing this purchase and getting all worked up. Please tell me we didn't buy a lemon. : (

Guess it is our fault for not brushing up on turbos. The salesman said these are designed that way and there is nothing wrong with it and that is how a turbo runs...yeah, trying to get us to buy it?
Someone needs a chill pill. lol. Just kidding. The 2.0 turbo is a very solid design. A high point of the solstice and an engineering achievement, considering it was to the market as a VVT, turbo, DI engine before most every other manufacturer out there, which have now followed suit. There weren't any significant changes to the engine design over the entire production run from 2007 to the beginning of 2010. And then engine has kept going in the Buick line from 2011 or something like that, onwards to this day. There is nothing wrong with the 2.0 LNF turbo engine.

People are pretty much doubling their rear wheel horsepower with modifications and these engines keep going.

And turbo engines are now all over the place in cars, trucks, even hybrids.

Drive the car, do the basic maintenance, don't worry about anything until the car gives you an error message or service engine soon message. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Now that we've established that turbo-licous whine is good:yesnod: Congrats, welcome, drive it like you stold it and enjoy :thumbs:

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Someone needs a chill pill. lol. Just kidding. The 2.0 turbo is a very solid design. A high point of the solstice and an engineering achievement, considering it was to the market as a VVT, turbo, DI engine before most every other manufacturer out there, which have now followed suit. There weren't any significant changes to the engine design over the entire production run from 2007 to the beginning of 2010. And then engine has kept going in the Buick line from 2011 or something like that, onwards to this day. There is nothing wrong with the 2.0 LNF turbo engine.

People are pretty much doubling their rear wheel horsepower with modifications and these engines keep going.

And turbo engines are now all over the place in cars, trucks, even hybrids.

Drive the car, do the basic maintenance, don't worry about anything until the car gives you an error message or service engine soon message.[\b] Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

I know one of the first things many GXP owners do it to replace all the clamps on the turbo hoses with T clamps. Seems one of the first issues to arise is a leak due to the regular clamps loosening up.

In case you're interested....you can buy them from DDM Works.

·
Registered
414 Posts
These 2.0 turbos can be funny things. My wife's Redline whistles on acceleration. My GXP does not. They replaced her turbo while trying to fix an oil leak (turns out is was an engine gasket not the turbo) and the new turbo sounded just like the old one. My turbo got replaced due to an actual oil leak and the new one makes no whistle on acceleration. Her "new" turbo developed a crack on the exhaust flange, was replaced, and it still makes the same whistle sound on acceleration. To this day no one can tell me why the exact same car/same setup produces two different results. All hoses have been checked and rechecked for looseness/holes. They do both make the same sound when load is removed...

The whistle may be due to something other than the turbo but what it could be I don't know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you so much!

Everyone:

You all are so kind.....you help eased our minds tremendously. Guess we really should have done our homework on these cars. LOL I really do appreciate all your input, knowledge and help. Also know that you are now extended family. Awww.....

So, is there a place somewhere we can start learning about these engines, just GXP's in general? Noises, what is normal, what to listen for, getting to know my toy, etc.? You know, a beginners guide. ;)

Once again....I sure do appreciate the warm welcome and feel comforted knowing I have an awesome group of folks who can help with any questions I may have in the future.

One more thing.....................SO, if something goes out and we need a part, etc. where do you go? Don't think any dealerships still have parts in storage do they?

Just got insurance last night and this Friday, plates and license. Then it is ALL MINE..........MINE.............MINE!!!! BWAHHAHHHAHHHA!

Thank you again everyone. :thumbs:

Tammy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gmpartsdirect.com. whatever the issue is search this forum or skyroadster.com and you will find someone has had similar problems with the solution found and part numbers will be provided.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts