Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a Saturn red line and says they are built with different parts than the gxp ( rear end is from a Cadillac and a bigger turbo and a better suspension ) is there anyone out there that knows if this is true I thought they were the same car just different body panels

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,249 Posts
I have a friend who has a Saturn red line and says they are built with different parts than the gxp ( rear end is from a Cadillac and a bigger turbo and a better suspension ) is there anyone out there that knows if this is true I thought they were the same car just different body panels
Mechanically they are identical, same drivetrain. There are minor differences between the NA Solstices and Skys in that the front springs are slightly different due to the heavier weight of the Sky. The turbo models have identical suspension and drivetrain.

See: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f42/suspension-packages-usage-58501/

Engines, Transmissions and differentials are identical.

The body panels are different and not interchangeable.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
They are built with different parts - and not as pretty ones at that. ;)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Now you're friend is incorrect as far as different parts on both cars, however, many of the parts from the redline and GXP have made their way to the Cadillac ATS 2.0L turbo. The motor in the ATS, Camaro, Malibu, Regal, etc is the next generation of the LNF(motor name from GM) called the LTG. The motor/turbo in the '09 HHR SS and Cobalt SS is also the LNF and the same exact motor as the redline and GXP. Here, show this to your friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

·
Registered
256 Posts
But the Sky does have one very important feature that is not in the Solstice. The driver information center will display the outside air temperature.>:)

·
Registered
325 Posts
My wife likes the two Oh S&@* handles the Solstice has compared to the one the Sky's have, to think she has been riding shotgun long enough with me that she notices such things? Must be my driving style!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The interiors have some significant differences. The first time I saw the Sky interior in person, I became jealous.
But we have red dash lights...the Skys have to look at that cheesy ice blue crap that all cars come with!! LOL

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
In my opinion, the Sky has too much bling.
Yes, they certainly outdo the Solstice in fake vents and blind ducts and such fripperies. Nice upholstery options though, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The GXP is lighter too which means it is quicker and faster. It adds up to about a car length in the 1/4 mile.

Each body style has its fans but the more retro look of the solstice certainly stands out more in a group of cars today than the contemporary look of the sky.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
The interiors have some significant differences. The first time I saw the Sky interior in person, I became jealous.
I liked the Sky interior better than the Sol's too, but the Solstice body sold me on it over the Sky's.

However, since I painted my boomerang body color - instead of that blob of gray - I now think the interior is on a par with the Sky's

But we have red dash lights...the Skys have to look at that cheesy ice blue crap that all cars come with!! LOL
No, they have that cheesy amber lighting crap. Agree, much prefer red.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts