Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my car this morning and there seems to be a problem.
Turn key to "on" and everything is normal, everything lights up, fuel pump cycles etc. Turn key to start and everything just goes out and the security light flashes. Waited 10 minutes and everything comes back on and appears normal... Try to start, and the same thing happens.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Battery going bad?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Time for dry cell.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully that's it. Had to go to work, so I didn't have time to check, but it seemed odd that everything lit up with full power. The lights on the A/C panel all flashed as if it was resetting as well. Will check battery this afternoon.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine's been doing that since last year. One day, it'll start first shot, then drive a bit and try to restart..nope. Everything lights up when I turn the key and complete silence, except for a noise near the passenger air bag area. Everyone's suggest clutch switch, battery and I have a funny feeling about MINE..I've got my spare key on my keychain and am going to use THAT for a bit to see. If that doesn't solve my problem, I guess I'll change the bloody battery! :(

Good luck with yours and don't forget to come back and tell us if that worked, eh. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Most likely marginal/bad battery. Try jumping from a known good battery. Not recommended, but if you attach jumper cables to both battery terminals and still have the problem I would suspect a bad ground connection.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Our cars are very sensitive to a failing battery. Way different from what you are probably accustomed to.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, battery. Nothing at all lit up when I got home. The positive terminal was completely corroded. Cleaned it up and gave her a jump and she fired right up. Hopefully I can go for a while longer.
Now my key fobs (both) don't work. Coincidence? Or a blown fuse? Something to look at tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, battery. Nothing at all lit up when I got home. The positive terminal was completely corroded. Cleaned it up and gave her a jump and she fired right up. Hopefully I can go for a while longer.
Now my key fobs (both) don't work. Coincidence? Or a blown fuse? Something to look at tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
There is a tsb on inoperable fobs after the battery goes dead. I've seen it here somewhere. I didn't have that issue when I changed the battery on my 2008 but maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a tsb on inoperable fobs after the battery goes dead. I've seen it here somewhere. I didn't have that issue when I changed the battery on my 2008 but maybe I got lucky.
Thanks.
I'll search around and see if I can find it.
Fob worked when the car wouldn't start, but then nothing after the battery was charged.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Found it!

#08-03-16-001B: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes on Al Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR) - (Jul 31, 2008)

Subject: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes On All Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR)

Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu

2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice

2008 Saturn AURA, SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Important statement to reflect the new direction to no longer contact TCSC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-16-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

• The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

• The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2® could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

• Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.

• Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.

• Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet. Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Decided to change mine. Tomorrow morning. Enough is enough with this nonsense of starting, then not starting, then starting....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to the dealer today and had the re-flash done. Fixed everything right up. Even took in my old fob that had stopped working and it now works (quoted $107 for a new fob). Cost me $90 for the "diagnosis" of course (even though I brought them the TSB supplied by Sly Bob).
Still debating on whether or not to get a new battery. Seems to be fine for now, but for the leaking post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sol-Mates,

Did you experience any recurring issues with this after the dealer fix? I just installed a new battery in my 08 and drove it after swapping the battery to two different locations and when I went to start it after having dinner, the dash would go dark when I take the key to the run position. When I get to the previous position, all the lights on the dash and my headlights come on fine. The car spent about 4 hours or so without a battery connected to it, but the strange thing is that is allowed me to drive it at least three times before experiencing this. Prior to replacing the battery, it was a bit different. When I would turn the key to the run position, it would make a clicking sound.
Was you issue that the keys lost their programming?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
That sounds like a battery issue. If you just changed it, then the new one is bad too (it happens).

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Or is not properly connected, meaning the cables were not clean etc..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes battery,my car with battery charger on it connected but not plugged in reads good battery with a surface charge which in my cas was a full 12vdc + ,I depress my load switch and it shows 50% capacity,yep time for a new battery.One day it would start the next time pot luck.

Now I got to say I was intimidated as to replacing it ,I was concerned about the fender and the alignment.Watched a few videos and decided to do it my self after finding out the dealer wanted $159.00 + 1 hr labor at $90.00.It was so damn easy it is sickening,7 mm ,10 mm and a 13mm socket is all it took .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts