Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So anything new lately? The club racer at SEMA is a pretty good indication of what the GXP will look like when you remove all the boy racer crap. The front end, rear daul exhuast, engine all seem to be production. Anybody heard any pricing or seen any newer spy shots?

·
Registered
126 Posts
bradyb said:
So anything new lately? The club racer at SEMA is a pretty good indication of what the GXP will look like when you remove all the boy racer crap. The front end, rear daul exhuast, engine all seem to be production. Anybody heard any pricing or seen any newer spy shots?
No, but I am afraid it may never materialize :brentil:
It is what I am waiting for..The house is refinanced, and I just chomping at the bit!
I am going to wait for this version before I get hasty and buy a Sol and turbocharge the stock form. I hope the GXP does happen.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will happen, I assume we will see the production vehicle at this years North American Autoshow in Jan?

Should be at a dealer near you in the fall of 2006?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a pic:

This tester was caught in Germany while doing laps on the Nürburgring. This is the performance version of Lutz’s first vision, the Pontiac Solstice. Most likely this Solstice will carry the GT Turbo nomenclature behind its name. Power is expected to come from turbo charging the Ecotec four-cylinder. The stock engine makes 177 horsepower and we expect the blown version to make upwards of 240 horsepower. This is some serious power in this vehicles class, watch out Mazdaspeed.

Noticeable differences on the exterior are honeycomb air intakes upfront (real or not we don’t know) surrounding the turn signal indicators. There are dual exhaust pipes adorning the rear fascia and a small lip spoiler on the rear deck lid.

Look for the Solstice GT Turbo to hit the market as a 2007 model sometime during the 2006 calendar year.

,,Car and Driver

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
854 Posts
bradyb said:
Front grill looks MUCH better than the NA Sol, that sunken look is bad ass.

Expect an announcement in January at the Detroit Auto Show, then get your but to the dealer the next day!

·
Registered
61 Posts
bradyb said:
This GXP looks to be a coupe! Can anybody confirm? OR, am I just lacking knowledge of what a GXP is?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AJB said:
This GXP looks to be a coupe! Can anybody confirm? OR, am I just lacking knowledge of what a GXP is?
The GXP is a performance version of the current car. There is no coupe Solstice. The pics of the gold SEMA car was a show car with a removable hard top on it. It's still a normal Solstice just with extra parts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
brentil said:
The GXP is a performance version of the current car. There is no coupe Solstice. The pics of the gold SEMA car was a show car with a removable hard top on it. It's still a normal Solstice just with extra parts.
I'm sure your right, but it sure looks as if the roof is a solid connection to the A-pillars, and color matched as well. Looks awsome.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What is everyone expecting from the GXP?? I know it's the higher performance version, but what comes in it?? I know the GT will get the turbo in June or so. I would assume the GXP would get a hyped up version of the 3.9 maybe?? I don't know. Remember BMW put a 6 cylinder in the Z3, and also made a coupe.

Jay

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LS2 Solstice said:
What is everyone expecting from the GXP?? I know it's the higher performance version, but what comes in it?? I know the GT will get the turbo in June or so. I would assume the GXP would get a hyped up version of the 3.9 maybe?? I don't know. Remember BMW put a 6 cylinder in the Z3, and also made a coupe.
There really is no GT, the version coming out is the GXP. The GXP from what we've seen is the Turbocharged version making about ~250HP. I really don't expect to see anything but i4 engines in this version of the car. Maybe a future revision will alter the structure to let bigger engines in, but till then I wouldn't expect anything but i4 engines as official from GM.

AJB said:
I'm sure your right, but it sure looks as if the roof is a solid connection to the A-pillars, and color matched as well. Looks awsome.
From the official media.gm.com article about this car.
Vehicle Highlights
  • Removable hard top
Also other pictures from the side you can see the rubber seal around the top as well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Footnote: The "Weekend Racer" debut at SEMA is just a concept vehicle that borrowed a few parts from the upcoming GXP version. The front bumper cover with the air inlets at the fog lights are brake ducts not an intercooler feeder as first thought. Expect the production GXP to use a heat exchanger.

All exterior addons for the GXP should be available as a special order part for the regular Solstice version. My guess is you will need to order a "1SB" package to in order to order the "GXP" package. If this holds true look for the "1SB" to be price around $24k, and the "GXP" package cost an additional $3800 pricing the GXP base at $27,800. Add other upgrades like Monsoon, OnStar, etc. to push the price closer to $29k.

What I'm waiting to see is whether the Sky Redline will be offered at the initial ordering time of the regular Sky. The longer the Sky ordering date takes to get here the better the chance for it (rumors, rumors, rumors). I would expect the GXP version to be announced come May 2006.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Oh .,, ok. I thought the turbocharged version was the GT as stated in the magazines and by bradyb.. That's why I thought the GXP was a model outside of that. Can anyone confirm that this is going to be called the GT or the GXP? I don't like the front valance with the ducts in the front,, yuck.. It looks pieced together. hopefully it looks better when it comes out. Also does the back rim look bigger to anyone else?

jay

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm guessing GXP but not sure, we will know for sure at the Jan North American Auto Show.

Those front wheels do look like 17" wheels, hmmm.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LS2 Solstice said:
Oh .,, ok. I thought the turbocharged version was the GT as stated in the magazines and by bradyb.. That's why I thought the GXP was a model outside of that. Can anyone confirm that this is going to be called the GT or the GXP? I don't like the front valance with the ducts in the front,, yuck.. It looks pieced together. hopefully it looks better when it comes out. Also does the back rim look bigger to anyone else?

jay
Looks like it will be badged GXP, but remember, there has been no official word that he car exists from GM, much less what kind of nomenclature will be used on it. Everything we have on the car are more or less rumors peiced together. Some better than others, but that is why they have been peiced together. ;)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TerpFan, you mentioned it will be using a heat exchanger? Are you talking about GM using a liquid/air intercooler rather then using an air/air intercooler after the turbo?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
There has yet to be any official leak as to what the upgraded car will be called. Everyone assumes GXP why, because that is the hottest version of one car, the family sedan Grand Prix? Sure it is a lot hotter than the GTP or GT, but Pontiac most probbaly would use traditional naming sequence. Note that the GT and GTP are versions of base engine, V6 in case of Grand Prix and even G6 ( I consider the 4 in the G6 not a base engine but a downgrade). GSP denotes a greater number of cylinders in the GP 8 instead of 6. Tradition would give us a GT or GTP and hold out the GXP name for a V6 or V8 version. Even saying that, I will take it with whatever upgrade they provide: most perople know I am a proponent of supercharging over turbocharging but that won't stop my purchase.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
TerpFan said:
All exterior addons for the GXP should be available as a special order part for the regular Solstice version. My guess is you will need to order a "1SB" package to in order to order the "GXP" package. If this holds true look for the "1SB" to be price around $24k, and the "GXP" package cost an additional $3800 pricing the GXP base at $27,800. Add other upgrades like Monsoon, OnStar, etc. to push the price closer to $29k.
Are you saying the new front bumper and the lil spoiler are gonna be a 4k option? :brentil:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
shabby said:
Are you saying the new front bumper and the lil spoiler are gonna be a 4k option? :brentil:
Front bumper, spoiler, rear winglet, tire upgrade, special seat inserts, new shift knob, badging. Come on, isn't that worth all of $3800? Well maybe if you throw in 50 -75 hp in the deal. Don't forget "GXP" is first a performance package, and second a looks package. You can do teh looks with aftermarket now, or GM factory parts when they become available, BUT for the sake of the integrity of the image, PLEASE DO NOT upgrade the exterior of a Solstice without also adding hp. If you do and you get soundly trounced by a Saleen Mustang or a MSMX5, it makes the rest of us look really slow. We don't need any so-called "boy racers" out there. Just men and women that let their right foot do the talkin'

1 - 20 of 103 Posts