Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 2.4L N/A Solstice coupe is at SMG Motoring now for a Hahn Racecraft Stage II turbo system install and custom tuning. In true gearhead fashion I've already started a wish list of further modifications....the coupe is one of approximately 33 built as preproduction prototypes by GM, Alterrain blue (hence the nickname / handle Blueberry Coupe).

Next steps: I have on order a custom exhaust from Hahn to convert the car to the GXP style dual exhaust. Will be changing stock polished aluminum wheels to stock chrome plated.

Videos of install / dyno will be provided on SMG Motoring Facebook site. Will try to post here on the solstice forum when available.

tech question: Does anyone know what the practical limits of horsepower are on a 2.4 before you have to go into engine internals and start changing parts like connecting rods? Same question for the automatic transmission?

Ray

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
First off I have a Hann Stage 2 on my car and love it night and day difference as to your question from everything I've read you can go up to 400 hp but I think that's living on the edge 330 to 350 to me would be comfortable as a matter of fact I'm now looking at their stage 3 option. One other thing that you need to consider is that starting with the 2008 model year they made some internal changes to the engine going from forged to cast internals on some components .

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of Alterrain Blue. Never heard of it.
Never heard of Kappa All Terrain Blue either (Hummer has a color that name), in 09 GM did changed the shade of the navy blue Deep to a medium blue but for whatever reason kept the Deep color name even though its a completely different shade of blue.

2010 Kinetic Blue

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely the deep navy blue, picked up the all terrain blue name from a forum list of colors and that was the only blue listed besides a light one. Thought that was it. Sorry no picture today I am in VT skiing and the pictures are in CT on my laptop.

Ray

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
...Sorry no picture today I am in VT skiing and the pictures are in CT on my laptop.

Ray
Please keep us informed. I'm interested in the outcome of your project.
:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, after NEVER seeing a coupe on the road...

U48 is the color code...

on a less sunny day, it looks like this...

Thanks so much for posting this, after never seeing a coupe on the road suddenly a picture of the cars twin brother! I don't have the optional soft top, but it is on the list for "someday".

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off I have a Hann Stage 2 on my car and love it night and day .......changes to the engine going from forged to cast internals on some components .
Interesting, Have you ever had your car dyno tested? How much horsepower are did you actually realize? My kit is being installed with a high flow cat, that will be the only mod until Hahn is able to supply the custom exhaust I ordered.

Ray

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Under 300hp looks ok?

LE5 = 2.4

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f64/factory-le5-connecting-rods-please-read-66445/

Use search to read about automatic hp limit discussion.
Thanks for the information, after reading a number of posts related to engine and transmission, it appears that if you are under 300 hp you should not be in imminent danger of blowing the tranny or engine. I think the Hahn Stage two is quoted as around 240hp, so even with the high flow cat and eventually the exhaust upgrade I can't imagine I would even be close the high output numbers some people are quoting.

Ray

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
BTW, congrats on the performance upgrade, looking forward to seeing and watching the vids. Planning on adding additional bracing, or lowering? The brace bundles do tighten the suspension nicely, along w/switching to the ZOK F&R sway bars or the new WERKS F&R adjustable sway bars.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Interesting, Have you ever had your car dyno tested? How much horsepower are did you actually realize? My kit is being installed with a high flow cat, that will be the only mod until Hahn is able to supply the custom exhaust I ordered.

Ray
Have not been to the dyno yet but I'm looking somewhere in the 300 hp range with all I have done to it .I still have some fine tuning to do this spring but my friend who helped me with the install and is familiar with turbo systems plus he is a pro mod dragracer says this is realistic

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Looking good but you need to do so something with that valve cover

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Are you planning on relocating the power steering reservoir ? I know Hann recommends it also you will have to change plugs NGK 4306 /.035 gap I also run Royal Purple oil ,K&N HP7000 oil filter and will be installing a DDM Works oil catch can for a little extra insurance .I currently have a Werks cat and Magnaflow exhaust and will be replacing the muffler portion with a stainless race muffler from Summit and have a couple of tricks that I'm going to do one at a time so I have a base to judge my changes against

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Power Steering Reservoir

Are you planning on relocating the power steering reservoir ? I know Hann recommends it also you will have to change plugs NGK 4306 /.035 gap I also run Royal Purple oil ,K&N HP7000 oil filter and will be installing a DDM Works oil catch can for a little extra insurance .I currently have a Werks cat and Magnaflow exhaust and will be replacing the muffler portion with a stainless race muffler from Summit and have a couple of tricks that I'm going to do one at a time so I have a base to judge my changes against
Yes, probably will relocate. Hahn sells a guard made of aluminum, I think. They describe it as useful in in hot climates, making it sound optional. For now SMG Motoring has installed a turbo blanket. Thanks for the tech tip on the plugs. Ray

1 - 20 of 90 Posts