Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Pontiac says Solstice is the "halo" vehicle that will generate much-needed showroom traffic and expose potential buyers to G6s, Grand Prix GXPs, GTOs and Vibes"

I've seen this or similar statements numerous times and have never really thought much about it. Do people actually go to see a car and say, "Oh, by the way that GTO looks nice, I'll take one of those while I'm here." Is there enough "impulse" buying going on for "halo" car to sell the rest of the line?

I have always known what I want before I step on to a car lot. Just curious as to hear other opinions, particular our resident dealers. :)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It creates a good image for the brand. The fact that a Solstice or GTO might be hanging on the wall of a kids room is good for the brand. If the Sosltice and GTO prove their metal as sports cars then maybe the G6 GTP can have a little of that magic in sales. It's all a head game, but if played correctly does work.

I don't think a Solstice admirer will show up and change his mind for a G6, but a Solstice admirer might at least give it a thumbs up for a wife, kid, or friend based on brand perception.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It's probably not a high percentage of buyers, but any additional showroom traffic couldn't hurt. If the Sol even attracks a couple people who happen to see another Pontiac up close and buy it, it has helped.

I think the real advantage to a halo is that it works like advertising. The Sol will get a LOT of attention and a lot of people will recognize it and associate it with Pontiac. If they think it is an awesome car, it associates the whole brand with that awesome car, and some of that good will towards Pontiac can trickle down onto other vehicles.

Again, were not talking about hundreds of thousands of new buyers rushing to Pontiac, but it does help improve the brands image.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Sydney said:
"Pontiac says Solstice is the "halo" vehicle that will generate much-needed showroom traffic and expose potential buyers to G6s, Grand Prix GXPs, GTOs and Vibes"

I've seen this or similar statements numerous times and have never really thought much about it. Do people actually go to see a car and say, "Oh, by the way that GTO looks nice, I'll take one of those while I'm here." Is there enough "impulse" buying going on for "halo" car to sell the rest of the line?

I have always known what I want before I step on to a car lot. Just curious as to hear other opinions, particular our resident dealers. :)
The Solstice is a definite magnet for Pontiac and GM. Most people that view my Solstice wants one.

·
Registered
729 Posts
stang said:
........... but a Solstice admirer might at least give it a thumbs up for a wife, kid, or friend based on brand perception.
I think this summed it up perfectly. I was looking at a Solstice a while back at a dealer, and saw the G6 GT for the first time in person and really liked it.

- bspate -

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just think of Chevrolet. It automatically brings up thoughts of a Corvette. So even a turd like the aveo can get some passers-by just because you're walking by to look at teh new Z-OHMYGAWD-SEX

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Won't stay a magnet very long if they don't give better customer service and get the cars to the owners. Word will get out---

·
Registered
621 Posts
I get a lot people saying, "Wow! That's a Pontiac????" Think people people still picture Pontiacs with a lot of cheap side molding, seeing something as beautiful as the Sol might put Pontiac back on their radar.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It has to help. I was at an airshow on Saturday where Saturn had the Sky on display. It was drawing crowds, and the people were getting into and going over the Vue and the Ions that were there. So, at least in that setting, it was working.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Almost worked that way for us

I believe there is some truth to it. When we went into our neighbourhood dealership to order the Solstice, we had never set foot in a GM showroom before. We did look around the showroom. No we weren't in the market for a Hummer or a Buick, but we did learn about the Pontiac Vibe. We also learned that it was built on the same line as the Toyota Matrix. It is still a possibility for us to get for our university-aged daughter.

That would be even a greater probability if GM had delivered on the Solstice. Unfortunately, after 6 months from ordering, with no end in sight I am cancelling the Solstice and won't be back to a GM dealership anytime soon (once I get my deposit back). :(

So the halo is definitely tarnished.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If someone goes to the showroom looking to buy a Solstice, and then finds out about the long waiting list, they might consider one of the other cars that is available now. Seems that not all car buyers have the patience of the Solstice buyers. Mine was 9 months from deposit to delivery. I'm very glad I waited! :)

·
5,600 Posts
Anything that gives your company a positive image or a good reputation is a good thing. Yes it really works to sell your good cars when people associate them with your great cars. It won't make up for bad products, however.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
The Sol is probably helping sell more convertibles, due to the fact people see it, want it, and cannot get it! ;) :lol: Some first time roadster/convertible owners have bought a "carry me over" car (S2K, MR2, Z3/4) will waiting for their chance to get a Sol. JMHO IMO, I did not see the Sol and say how about a G6? However, some people might have done just that.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The car sales business does the bait and switch all the time. "Honey, I just want to see the Solstice." While there she says, "Wow, this G6 sure is sharp." The seed is planted - Good salesman closes the deal if the buyer is the least bit serious.

Actually what I don't understand about the Solstice is why GM would limit production to such low levels? If I'm calling the shots at GM, I make as many of those little buggers I can sell especially at MSRP. I wonder what the demand level would end up being at a $24000 price point - ASSUMING THEY HAD CARS TO SELL. Additionally, you would expect that as the units go up, their cost per unit goes down Win/win for GM. If you've got a winning horse, you ride that baby! I do wonder though... several have been sitting on e-bay for a while. Granted, the prices are pretty high, but I would give up my November/December delivery for $7,000.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
KYSol said:
The car sales business does the bait and switch all the time. "Honey, I just want to see the Solstice." While there she says, "Wow, this G6 sure is sharp." The seed is planted - Good salesman closes the deal if the buyer is the least bit serious.

Actually what I don't understand about the Solstice is why GM would limit production to such low levels? If I'm calling the shots at GM, I make as many of those little buggers I can sell especially at MSRP. I wonder what the demand level would end up being at a $24000 price point - ASSUMING THEY HAD CARS TO SELL. Additionally, you would expect that as the units go up, their cost per unit goes down Win/win for GM. If you've got a winning horse, you ride that baby! I do wonder though... several have been sitting on e-bay for a while. Granted, the prices are pretty high, but I would give up my November/December delivery for $7,000.
But if they were to mass produce the car it would very quickly lose it's drawing power. And being a roadster, there is a limit as to how many two seaters any company can sell. I think their strategy is good, I just think they were caught off-guard by the demand.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
It can only attract people to the showroom IF THEY ACTUALLY HAVE THEM IN THE SHOWROOM, which my local dealer does not.
Yes, but by mid to late next year production will catch up with demand and there will be enough to get cars on the dealer floors to show off. Till then each and every one of us is a rolling billboard for the future of Pontiac.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
brentil said:
Yes, but by mid to late next year production will catch up with demand and there will be enough to get cars on the dealer floors to show off. Till then each and every one of us is a rolling billboard for the future of Pontiac.
Not every one of us. I don't have mine yet! ;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
brentil said:
Till then each and every one of us is a rolling billboard for the future of Pontiac.
Yup, nothing like having a person their car stop in the middle of the road during rush hour to ask what kind of car your driving. Or follow you through a parking lot to get a better look. Or stayed stopped at a red light when they can make their right hand turn. Or have their GF's from another dept at your workplace call you to see if they can look at your car. Or people crowding you while you try to fill up. Well you get the point... :)

Just need to start collecting some of those $50 referral checks from the dealership. ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Drex said:
Yup, nothing like having a person their car stop in the middle of the road during rush hour to ask what kind of car your driving. Or follow you through a parking lot to get a better look. Or stayed stopped at a red light when they can make their right hand turn. Or have their GF's from another dept at your workplace call you to see if they can look at your car. Or people crowding you while you try to fill up. Well you get the point... :)

Just need to start collecting some of those $50 referral checks from the dealership. ;)
I like the $50 part, but it gets a little tiresome having people bug you about your car all of the time. As I've mentioned many times, I drive a 65 Malibu convertible and I can't go anyplace without people stopping me in the parking lot, or yelling at me at traffic lights Sometimes if I have to stop for gas at night it even scares me a little to have strangers approaching me. So although I like the uniqueness of the Sosltice, I guess I won't be getting away from something that makes me pretty uncomfortable at times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts