Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a Sky Redline for about 6 years and was wondering the difference in handling and drifting between, say, a 2.4 and a 2.0T?

Specs indicate a better lateral-g on the 2.4, likely due to weight.

I found the RL tail to be very unstable like a Viper, the power-rush at full-boost was too much and it'd step-out way too far, especially after the GMPP Stage 2 kit (allowed 24 PSI for me here at 7k altitude). Trick was to feather the accelerator to no more than 10 PSI, even after putting 275-width (same height) tires in the rear. Put Kappa springs all around and that helped a bit (lowered 0.5 in the front, 1.0 in the rear and gave steering feedback finally).

Now..

I've owned a Lotus Elise and loved the non-power-delivery of that at-altitude, letting me linearly step the rear out and dial-in the drift with the steering-wheel, something the RL didn't want to do. Sold the Elise due to surprisingly shoddy craftsmanship (I could go on for hours about that daily driver).

Got a C6 Grand Sport Corvette and loved the magnetic-ride-control and the rear was compliant and non-bouncy but the rims were so delicate all were bent within 2 years!

So...

For those who rough-house their 2.4's, how are they in mild drifts? Has anyone owned both and if so are the 2.4's linear acceleration more "fun"?

I suspect if I got a Mallet (somehow, if I'm patient and find one) or a DDM-Works V8 conversion I'd be back to the mad-rush and squirelly rear again.

Comments?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I only own a GXP, but I drove many N/A Kappas while shopping for a roadster. The N/A is more balanced stock, while the turbo versions have both more power and a slightly more forward weight distribution. You can actually carry a bit more speed through corners in an N/A, but in the straights a LNF Kappa will trot away. I'd say the N/A is like driving your GXP around normally, it's just the revs come on slower. The suspension is slightly softer, but you would only notice testing back-to-back. When it's time for fun you'll lose the ability to make the fanny dance on command or pull well in fourth. You can't really drift an N/A. You can slide by trail braking into a corner aggressively, but at anything less then 50mph it's not really feasible to use the throttle to kick out the rear in all but the tightest corners.

And if you want to add forced induction to a N/A, you WILL make it just as nose heavy as a GXP. Unless you try to go rear mounted turbo/IC (I wouldn't), you can't avoid it.

If you liked the Elise you may not mind the N/A. But if I had to recommend something, I'd just find a decent GXP and go from there.

While the V-8 conversions are cool, I'd never do that to this chassis. The more I drive it, the more I'm thinking a turbo 4 at 450-500 crank hp is the sweet spot. I'm just trying to figure out how to get enough tire under it.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Try a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport on the GXP or Redline. The handling improvement is vast. Unfortunately, so is the price of the tires.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I owned a Sky Redline for about 6 years and was wondering the difference in handling and drifting between, say, a 2.4 and a 2.0T?

Specs indicate a better lateral-g on the 2.4, likely due to weight.

I found the RL tail to be very unstable like a Viper, the power-rush at full-boost was too much and it'd step-out way too far, especially after the GMPP Stage 2 kit (allowed 24 PSI for me here at 7k altitude). Trick was to feather the accelerator to no more than 10 PSI, even after putting 275-width (same height) tires in the rear. Put Kappa springs all around and that helped a bit (lowered 0.5 in the front, 1.0 in the rear and gave steering feedback finally).

Now..

I've owned a Lotus Elise and loved the non-power-delivery of that at-altitude, letting me linearly step the rear out and dial-in the drift with the steering-wheel, something the RL didn't want to do. Sold the Elise due to surprisingly shoddy craftsmanship (I could go on for hours about that daily driver).

Got a C6 Grand Sport Corvette and loved the magnetic-ride-control and the rear was compliant and non-bouncy but the rims were so delicate all were bent within 2 years!

So...

For those who rough-house their 2.4's, how are they in mild drifts? Has anyone owned both and if so are the 2.4's linear acceleration more "fun"?

I suspect if I got a Mallet (somehow, if I'm patient and find one) or a DDM-Works V8 conversion I'd be back to the mad-rush and squirelly rear again.

Comments?
The weight difference is not that much between the 2.4L and the 2.0L cars, especially if you put any power adders on the 2.4L. Also, the Sky's are all heavier than the Solstices. The cars typically scale out around 2950-3050 depending on what is on them, how much gas they have, etc.

As for the handling between the 2, it really depends on what you set them up like. The alignment will make a big difference on how they handle at the limit. The 2.0L has a little more front bias on the sway bar than the 2.4L stock, but you can add the Z0K rear bar to a stock front bar on the 2.0L and have a pretty neutral setup if you are comfortable with that. You would want to also do some kind of coilover setup though to get it dialed in and neutral.

The Elise would have been naturally aspirated, which gives a nice linear power band and is easier to modulate than a turbo engine. The K04 turbo on the 2.0L is nice and small and spools quick, but there is still always going to be a disconnect in throttle inputs to power delivery on all turbo cars, its just physics. I would suggest getting an aftermarket tune, which should be able to get you a little quicker response from the turbo and make it easier for you to modulate. With some practice you can learn to play with the turbo and modulate the power, it just takes more practice than a naturally aspirated or supercharged engine.

We have both cars here often and also own a development 2.4L and 2.0L and they are both fun, just in different ways.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you,
Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the coupe hold-out? Is the weight distribution a factor there?

I appreciate everyone's inputs. Thanks DDM Works, btw. If you have one with your awesome "backbone" brace just "sitting around" for-sale, or any interesting variants that were test-subjects, please PM me!

·
Registered
702 Posts

Comments?
I own the GXP so cannot give an A-B comparison, but rather offer the following comment...

To the best of my knowledge, the FE3 (?) sport suspension option was mandatory on the GXP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts