Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
i have been huge fan of this car for 6 months now.. bought it in May and will recieve it in a few weeks....
i am afraid after having a in depth test drive and view of the car that i am not going to accept this vehicle anymore.
i figure being on a forum and all that people can read this thread and have their own opinions and maybe i will hang for this?
i will still keep the SOTS up and running, but man i almost cried when i test drove the car and got a great look inside.

here is my .02 cents

bar none.. the car from the outside is the best looking car out there today. i put it pas the bmw roadsters/porche boxster/miata/and all other convertibles.

but.. once you get inside... that is a dif story.
i am 5'9 and that is average.
if you want to lock or unlock the doors, you have to use the key from inside the car or turn around and reach an ackward position to unlock the door. ( that is not easy )
if you want to block the sun with a visor... you will notice that the car from the inside is totally plastic. the dash is plastic, the visors are plastic, the controls etc.. are all plastic. very cheap looking and i see now why the prices is where it is.
myself owning a bmw z3 1.9ltr 138hp car was thinking that this 2.4ltr 177hp would have more pep.. man.. was i wrong. it is gutless, it has no acceleration at all. if you try to squeal the tires you can't. the problem with the car is it has not torque. the huge tires are just too big for quick starts and the sporty feeling of a convertible.
the handling is good from the sense that the car will not loose control even on sharp turns or cornering a 90 degree turn at 60-80km, i guess you can say that this car is dummy proof when it comes to driving. it is very forgiving.
guys and gals, i am not a professional driver or anything.. but i would like to think that i know how to drive and differentiate between good and okay...

anyways... i am getting tired myself bashing the car..

bottom line.

the car is awesome from outside.

the interior and engine performance... sucks!

okay.. not that i have said my peace...

if anyone wants my car.. i can talk to my dealership and work something out for you...

and...

crucify away ;-)

cheers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Your .02 is worth about .0145 down here :lol: Really you and a lot of others ordered sight unseen except in the media. I take the reported performance as reported and doubt that the number is not achievable as the magazines have conducted their own tests already. It does not feel as fast as my other car which does 0-60 in 6.8, no that far off, but I did not wail this car yet. With the size of the tread I doubt that you could chirp the tires, wait for GXP. Sure there is a lot of plastic, what car interior isn't at a starting price under 20k USD. You think the 'burl' walnut in a Chryco 300C is real? Dream on. Even the real wood in the Jag X-type is made to look plastic. The visor is small, I agree. An extension or folddown piece would help. Aftermarket JC Whitney or otherwise. That's my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
solstice_canuck said:
Hey guys,
i have been huge fan of this car for 6 months now.. bought it in May and will recieve it in a few weeks....
i am afraid after having a in depth test drive and view of the car that i am not going to accept this vehicle anymore.
i figure being on a forum and all that people can read this thread and have their own opinions and maybe i will hang for this?
i will still keep the SOTS up and running, but man i almost cried when i test drove the car and got a great look inside.

here is my .02 cents

bar none.. the car from the outside is the best looking car out there today. i put it pas the bmw roadsters/porche boxster/miata/and all other convertibles.

but.. once you get inside... that is a dif story.
i am 5'9 and that is average.
if you want to lock or unlock the doors, you have to use the key from inside the car or turn around and reach an ackward position to unlock the door. ( that is not easy )
if you want to block the sun with a visor... you will notice that the car from the inside is totally plastic. the dash is plastic, the visors are plastic, the controls etc.. are all plastic. very cheap looking and i see now why the prices is where it is.
myself owning a bmw z3 1.9ltr 138hp car was thinking that this 2.4ltr 177hp would have more pep.. man.. was i wrong. it is gutless, it has no acceleration at all. if you try to squeal the tires you can't. the problem with the car is it has not torque. the huge tires are just too big for quick starts and the sporty feeling of a convertible.
the handling is good from the sense that the car will not loose control even on sharp turns or cornering a 90 degree turn at 60-80km, i guess you can say that this car is dummy proof when it comes to driving. it is very forgiving.
guys and gals, i am not a professional driver or anything.. but i would like to think that i know how to drive and differentiate between good and okay...

anyways... i am getting tired myself bashing the car..

bottom line.

the car is awesome from outside.

the interior and engine performance... sucks!

okay.. not that i have said my peace...

if anyone wants my car.. i can talk to my dealership and work something out for you...

and...

crucify away ;-)

cheers.
I guess thats your opinion. I think the car is beautiful outside (alot better then the BMW), and the inside is no Caddy but for the money I think it's very do-able, It's a roadster, how much darn room do you think your going to have. I haven't driven it however my husband and I took it on a little joy ride on the highway yesterday and it had plenty of pep for a normal person. (not a gear head) Maybe you don't know how to squeal the tires, my husband had no problem, neither did several people at the Detroit party. So I guess what I'm saying I'm glad your selling it, thats one more for someone else who really loves the car. Maybe you should go buy yourself a new BMW Z4 for $42,000.00, then you will be happy spending the extra 17,000.00 For pretty much the same type car.

Myself, I LOVE THE CAR, it's like a little toy. It's fun to drive in,(I can't drive it yet) looks the best and HP is great as far as I can see, you must not of been driving it correctly if you think it was gutless, and those that want more HP can wait for the turbo or have this upgraded. I'm sure they will have upgraded knobs and accssories soon, so you change it then if you want. But this by far is the most fun car we ever had, and it only cost 26,000.00. And in the few days that I had the car I am enjoying it greatly.

You can keep your BMW Z3, in looks it doesn't even come close to the Solstice. And quite frankly I see more reviews with my opinion rather then yours.

Now this is my $.02.But rember opinions are like *******s, everyone has one !! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
achieftain said:
Your .02 is worth about .0145 down here :lol: Really you and a lot of others ordered sight unseen except in the media. I take the reported performance as reported and doubt that the number is not achievable as the magazines have conducted their own tests already. It does not feel as fast as my other car which does 0-60 in 6.8, no that far off, but I did not wail this car yet. With the size of the tread I doubt that you could chirp the tires, wait for GXP. Sure there is a lot of plastic, what car interior isn't at a starting price under 20k USD. You think the 'burl' walnut in a Chryco 300C is real? Dream on. Even the real wood in the Jag X-type is made to look plastic. The visor is small, I agree. An extension or folddown piece would help. Aftermarket JC Whitney or otherwise. That's my .02
GOOD JOB !
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
Supposed to be a basic roadster and it IS. and for 20grand. You want more (interior, power etc) spend your loot in the aftermarket. That's why God gave it to us. :devil:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Good for you Canuck, that's a nice offer to make it available to another.

I don't think anyone here should burn you for an opinion, and in most cases they probably won't.

I was disappointed with the pep of the Sol (but I drove one that may be missing hp as it was a pre-production). So I defer final judgement. But there have been a few comments on this board that the power is only adequate.

I have the opposite position form you, I did not order, I want to see them on the lots, test drive them several times, stare at them many times, and make an informed decision. It must have been very difficult to do a "decide now - take it or leave it" kinda thing. I applaud you for doing what you feel was right, and offering it to another........

I like posts like yours since this forum has a fair bias, it makes me know I'm not nuts, and that I'm not missing something everyone else gets.

Now, go find the car that makes you smile - ear to ear :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
solstice_canuck said:
Hey guys,
i have been huge fan of this car for 6 months now.. bought it in May and will recieve it in a few weeks....
i am afraid after having a in depth test drive and view of the car that i am not going to accept this vehicle anymore.
if anyone wants my car.. i can talk to my dealership and work something out for you...

and...

crucify away ;-)

cheers.
Well this forum isn't a CULT so you are allowed to be disappointed in the car. I share your pain. Like you I ordered this car back in April and have been hanging out at the Forum ever since. Got to sit in one in August thatnks to SOLSTZ06 setting it up with a contact at GM HQ Oshawa. I liked the fit and could live with the finish.

But then at the end of September I found out my car wasn't coming this year, the first thing I did was try to buy one from another dealer. When that didn't work I started thinking about the fact that winter was coming and I didn't really want one now anyway. But I also thought about just how impractical this car is, any roadster really, in a climate like Ottawa's. Sure we had temperatures into the 80Fs last week, but this week we are having trouble getting out of the 50s.

So I started looking at cars I could buy for the same $s as the Sosltice. I was happy to find a nice 330Ci, no it is not a roadster. But it is a sports coupe that sets the standard for that class.

I have to confess I haven't driven a Solstice yet. I could go for a test drive at the dealer who wouldn't sell me their car. But now I am not sure what the point would be.

I have often thought that the end of civilization as we know it is when you can attach an esthetic value to plastic. Unfortunately we are there, and even more unfortunately the Solstice falls on the wrong side of the line.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am pretty sure I would at the very least need to get the turbo version. Hey maybe everyone who has to wait until 2007 model year should get a free upgrade to a GPX. :willy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
I'm a bit surprised, but you're entitled to your opinion. I was never personally impressed by the 1.9 BMW Z3, and am CERTAIN the Solstice outperforms it. The best launch ever in the Z3 (4 cyl/about 2700 lbs) back in '97 or '98 produced a whopping 0-60 in 7.9 seconds (including rollout, 8.1 not including rollout) and a disappointing 16 1/4 + seconds/84-5 MPH in 1/4 mile. I almost bought one back then, so spent a lot of time trying to drive one to see if it was what I wanted. In the end, I concluded it was a "German Miata" and didn't get it.

Perhaps it takes some time to learn how the Solstice drives - I've found you need to be above 3500 RPMS to get it to do much. If you dump the clutch at 4500-4800 RPMs from a standing start in first gear, you will DEFINITELY get lots of wheelspin.

A good solid upshift near redline from 1st to 2nd will produce a good 'chirp' from the rear tires. The car needs to be driven hard, though. Many people won't do that.

The gearing plays into effect here, too. IIRC, the BMW Z3 was geared somewhat higher - meaning most of the time, you were within a few hundred RPMS of where the torque peak was.

I remember cruising at 65 MPH in the Z3 in 5th gear, and being at right around 3200 RPMs. The peak torque was near or at 4300 RPMs. A downshift to 4th gear in the Z3 1.9 brought you to right near torque peak and a really nice, brisk acceleration.

The Solstice is closer to cruising in 5th gear at 2500 RPMs, yet the torque peak is 4400 RPMs. You actually need to downshift to 3rd, and you get a nearly identical feel if not better, as it brings your revs right to the torque peak.

In the Solstice, 5th gear is really a cruising, overdrive gear.

In 4 cylinder engine-powered cars, you have to play these games, they just won't have the low RPM grunt that even small displacement 6 cylinder has. The NB Miata needed to downshift to 3rd from 6th to achive a similar acceleration, and so does the S2000 (either version, even though the engine for '04 has more torque, the gearing didn't change much).

The only problem is that, for some reason, the NB Miata and the Honda S2K both sound much better when revving, where the ecotec can sound kinda loud or "loose". This has the tendency to cause most people not to rev it. I've not really found anyone who doesn't love to rev the S#!T out of the S2000...

Nobody is going to crucify you... just my $0.02 back, and some tips and tricks I've learned about the Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i thank you all for your input... i put it out there to be heard.

it was fun reading the comments... although there is one i have to respond to and that is the gutless part.. or tire chirp.. or power...

believe me when i say, i know how to drive... and for that i say i know how to make the tires spin.

and believe me when i say, that i drove the **it of this car. this is not the car that i was owning.. it was a demo at another dealership.

mind you i know that that car needs to be broken in before you will get the true horsepower.

but.. today i own a Jeep Cherokee that out performs the solstice... ;-) power and all. haha..

but nonetheless... like i said before.. the car is the best out there for outside appearance.. but if you don't know any better.. you will love the inside too.

roadster or not... you get what you pay for. and i know see why the car is 26k in CAN and 19k in US.

if you haven't driven one yet... then go see for yourself... if you have.. then i respect your opinion..

guys and gals... enjoy your car! its like love... we are all blinded by what we desire so much. i just don't love the car.

cars i have driven in the roadster family....

1998 bmw z3 1.9
2000 bmw z3 2.8
2002 bmw z3 3.0
2000 porche boxster s
2000 bmw m roadster
2000 s2000

and recently, 2006 solstice

so all the best and if anyone is interested in taking it... let me know..

whitby dealership..

cheers.

enjoy your car!

god bless!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
solstice_canuck said:
it was fun reading the comments... although there is one i have to respond to and that is the gutless part.. or tire chirp.. or power...

believe me when i say, i know how to drive... and for that i say i know how to make the tires spin.

and believe me when i say, that i drove the **it of this car. this is not the car that i was owning.. it was a demo at another dealership.

mind you i know that that car needs to be broken in before you will get the true horsepower.

but.. today i own a Jeep Cherokee that out performs the solstice... ;-) power and all. haha..

but nonetheless... like i said before.. the car is the best out there for outside appearance.. but if you don't know any better.. you will love the inside too.

roadster or not... you get what you pay for. and i know see why the car is 26k in CAN and 19k in US.

if you haven't driven one yet... then go see for yourself... if you have.. then i respect your opinion..

guys and gals... enjoy your car! its like love... we are all blinded by what we desire so much. i just don't love the car.

cars i have driven in the roadster family....

1998 bmw z3 1.9
2000 bmw z3 2.8
2002 bmw z3 3.0
2000 porche boxster s
2000 bmw m roadster
2000 s2000

and recently, 2006 solstice

so all the best and if anyone is interested in taking it... let me know..

whitby dealership..

cheers.

enjoy your car!

god bless!

Funny, I traded My Jeep Grand Cherokee ltd for my Solstice, Go figure. You'll love that MPG car. $50.00 to fill it up and 12 miles per gallon. What a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
I'm not blinded. Is it a powerful car? No. Does it have decent pick up? Yes, but it helps to drive it agressively. Mine is well broken in now and I'm fine with the pick up.
I can chirp 1st although I try not and I can get a chirp out of second but again thats not what I'm going for.

Is the finish cheap? somewhat but it doesn't bother me at all. Look at the interior of some of the "classic" muscle cars of all time.

But the bottomline is you get more than you pay for.

People ask me all the time, "how much?". You should see the shocked reaction of these people when I say loaded, 25K.

There is no doubt you can find a car that satisfies you.

My question is, "how much?", and I think you'll be shocked by the answer, or at least your bank account will be!

Good luck Solstice Canuck!

Please don't take this as a crucifiction, its not meant a one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
After I started to learn how my Solstice wanted to be driven, I found out that I could scare the crap out of myself with the car. I'm not a professioal driver, nor have I spent much time on a track, but I have owned two seaters in the past and have a good understanding on how they perform. My Solstice kicks the doors in on my old Triumph and even my 2000 Miata. I considered both of these cars really fun to drive and a blast to own. Now I've moved up to the Solstice. It's not an S2000, a Porsche or a Ferrari, but it still is a sack full of fun at an extremely low price. I think it all boils down to who is behind the wheel and what the driver wants. If you only want straight out speed, forget it. If you like to go around bends 5MPH faster than everyone else, and know how to do it the Solstice is fantastic. This car isn't a Swiss Army knife that does everything, it only fits certain purposes. For my driving style and desire, the Solstice is a fantastic car that is still teaching me how it wants to be driven.
 

·
Sol Driving Member
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
After I started to learn how my Solstice wanted to be driven, I found out that I could scare the crap out of myself with the car. I'm not a professioal driver, nor have I spent much time on a track, but I have owned two seaters in the past and have a good understanding on how they perform. My Solstice kicks the doors in on my old Triumph and even my 2000 Miata. I considered both of these cars really fun to drive and a blast to own. Now I've moved up to the Solstice. It's not an S2000, a Porsche or a Ferrari, but it still is a sack full of fun at an extremely low price. I think it all boils down to who is behind the wheel and what the driver wants. If you only want straight out speed, forget it. If you like to go around bends 5MPH faster than everyone else, and know how to do it the Solstice is fantastic. This car isn't a Swiss Army knife that does everything, it only fits certain purposes. For my driving style and desire, the Solstice is a fantastic car that is still teaching me how it wants to be driven.

Only 5MPH faster? :lol: My son will be sooooo disappointed. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
The solstices are finally in Northern California. I went to see a sly all decked out in Lodi EOP(maybe someone's on the board?) It wasn't the same as I remember from the autoshow 3 years ago :) It was before the PDI so it was dirty with plastic everywhere. So that took some air out of my balloon.

Then the dealer in Folsom, CA that was trying to get 5k mark-up called me to tell me that everyone on the list before me(20 people) passed on the first loaded Sly.

i believe the frenzy is finally over!

That being said, I told them to hold on to my deposit for a base model. Do you think any changes as far as hp increase, clunk, top will be looked at if I order the 07? Or will they be the same car with different VINs.

I am hoping to drive one in 2 weeks at Auto show in motion. All I want is the solstice to be able to keep up with my modded 94 Saturn SC2 and I can add stuff from there.
 

·
Sol Driving Member
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
silversolstice said:
i believe the frenzy is finally over!
Not necessarily. Maybe they have been reading these forums and just refuse to pay over MSRP. You think the dealer is getting the message?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Sheesh, the whine mobile

I take it you never read or know how to get much out of car reviews. It was never a drag racer or corvette beater. It's 0-60 times were not that great, not bad for what type of car though. Why did you think it was? It's not overly powerful, has enough to get the job done just fine but only with someone who really knows what to do with cars and doesn't overrate them. Did you expect something superfast to apprear even though it was well known it wasn't this car? I'd say you don't really know very much about cars to begin with or we would not see this type of .... well, whining nonsence.
Basicly these types of cars were supposed to be a rebirth of the old roadsters like the MGB and triumps, a good handling fun to drive car. They were never a fast quarter mile car and anyone with any brains knew this, this isn't what these types of cars were built for. Get a Corvette or a mustang if you want a car that burns tires.
Man, I'm starting to think if I get one of these car's I'll be labeled a whiner and have stuff thrown at me if I stop anywhere from what I see on this forum. What a reputation to have for a new car. :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of expectations for this car. My first car was a '70 Fiat Spyder, a blast to drive! Handled like a go-cart but not at all quick. Still my all time favorite ride. Decided one day I needed more power so I grafted on two 40mm Webbers and "bottle fed" both. Fastest Fiat anywhere...right up to the point I burned up a piston, that slowed it up a bit!

Z3's a fine look'n car...found the seats/ride to be totally uncomfortable so I passed on it. I was really worried the Sol would be the same 'til I got a chance to try one on for size...no problems for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
deluke said:
Funny, I traded My Jeep Grand Cherokee ltd for my Solstice, Go figure. You'll love that MPG car. $50.00 to fill it up and 12 miles per gallon. What a deal.
hey deluke... i had the jeep since last winter.. its a winter car.. nothing else. ;-)

enjoy your new car.

cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Spin a wheel? You must have known what the acceleration times were - they've been published by every reviewer in every article. Since you obviously
put a lot of stock in acceleration, why in the world didn't you wait for the turbo? Weren't you aware that 0-60 in seven and a half seconds is not
tire shredding acceleration performance? Have you ever driven a car before?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Marco said:
I'm not blinded. Is it a powerful car? No. Does it have decent pick up? Yes, but it helps to drive it agressively. Mine is well broken in now and I'm fine with the pick up.
I can chirp 1st although I try not and I can get a chirp out of second but again thats not what I'm going for.

Is the finish cheap? somewhat but it doesn't bother me at all. Look at the interior of some of the "classic" muscle cars of all time.

But the bottomline is you get more than you pay for.

People ask me all the time, "how much?". You should see the shocked reaction of these people when I say loaded, 25K.

There is no doubt you can find a car that satisfies you.

My question is, "how much?", and I think you'll be shocked by the answer, or at least your bank account will be!

Good luck Solstice Canuck!

Please don't take this as a crucifiction, its not meant a one.
hey Marco..
thanks for the feed back.. its all good. no worries..
but if you would like to know what i am getting now..

2000 m roadster/240hp/3.2ltr/loaded with everything.
price... $32,300CDN for 32,000 KM.. now its a 5 yr old car..but lets be real.
my solstice was going to cost me.. $33,000 and for a few pennies more.. i am getting a wholo latta car ;-)

but again... its all good... to each his own.. have a great one... all the best.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top