Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, folks... today is supposed to be the Start of Retail Production. :party: :cheers:

Let's hope that is happening! I expect our Wilmington locals to troll by the plant regularly and give us all reports! :jester:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I hope everyone is right. The parking lot does show many more vehicles. Now if the staging area shows more activity; I'll really get excited. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I know that once production hits full speed they will produce about 56 cars a day, but how long does it take to make a car? If you were to follow a single car through the assembly line does it make it through in one day? I doubt it, because painting must take a day in itself. Does anyone know what day the 1st car should roll off the line assuming that production starts today?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I believe that was 56 cars per 7 hour shift, with two shifts probable per day, it was posted ages ago, but may have been deleted.

Full production is supposed to produce 20,000 cars per year, which is around 80 per day, hence 56 per day cannot be the right number.

And if Bob said they were going to build 9000 cars by year end, with 24 weeks until Christmas, that would mean an average of 375 cars per week or 75 cars per day.

·
5,641 Posts
56 per day is their start up goal that they hope to work up to. When they finally do start production. Which could still be not this week based on the public and private EOP info.

Last year it took GM an average of 34.33 hours to build a car. Making them the most efficient of the "Big 3". GM's Oshawa is the most efficient at 15.85 hours.

Harbour Report Press Release

Detroit Free Press Article

·
Registered
350 Posts
Small Dealer said:
56 per day is their start up goal that they hope to work up to.

Last year it took GM an average of 34.33 hours to build a car. Making them the most efficient of the "Big 3".

So assuming that they have a single 7 hour shift the first car may not roll off the line until Friday. If they are going a double shift they it will be on Thursday. These cars may actually take longer to build too with the hydroforming process being slower and it being the startup of production and all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Bowling Green Assembly Plant in KY produce the Corvette in 27 hours. So, keep a lookout coming Tuesday afternoon for the first cars to hit the lot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Delnari said:
The Bowling Green Assembly Plant in KY produce the Corvette in 27 hours. So, keep a lookout coming Tuesday afternoon for the first cars to hit the lot.

Isn't this working hours? I doubt they will be working 24 hours a day. With 2 7 hour shifts this would still be at the end of Tuesday, but we don't know if they will do two shifts, so it could be Thursday.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wasn't there some talk of adding a 3rd shift? I kind of remember this from
some time ago, although I don't think this was confirmed.

What are the chances the cars that are in the lot are already part of the
first 1000????

Load em up, move em out, send my solstice my way!!!!
Hey na, ah da hay na, ah da hey da na hey, hoy hoy hoy!!!!!!! :willy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cars Cars Cars

We the people of this forum will expect those of you near the plant to camp out near the factory and give us up dates.

Your friends

Please Please Please!!!!!!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Have we confirmed that Wilmington was only participating in the GM 2 week shutdown for the first week?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Have we confirmed that Wilmington was only participating in the GM 2 week shutdown for the first week?
:agree: I thought shutdown was through this week as well with startup on the 18th.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am sure that it was rumored quite some time ago that the shutdown
was only one week this year.

There was a post from bigjon on 7/1 stating this and he seemed to have inside info.

I wonder if bigjon is BIG JOHN??? He would know!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
1 n 1K said:
THAY ARE BUILDING THE SOLS RIGHT NOW... PRODUCTION HAS STARTED TODAY 7/11/05 PLANT IS OPEN . :lurk:

Where/How do you get your information? Is this just what your are specilating?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I Called The Plant And Asked If Thay Are Building Sols And Thay Said Yes Today Thay Started With Production Cars No Other Info Was Given...

·
Registered
905 Posts
What a great thing to wake up to!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
1 n 1K said:
I Called The Plant And Asked If Thay Are Building Sols And Thay Said Yes Today Thay Started With Production Cars No Other Info Was Given...
Damn, who knew it would be that easy! Break open the Champagne!!!!! :willy:

·
Registered
350 Posts
1 n 1K said:

Well you know what that mean...
:cheers: :willy: :party: :cheers: :willy: :party:

1 - 20 of 157 Posts