Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of posts on this topic and I read a lot of them. I tried the driving at different speeds to "reset the memory" which seemed to help, but then the problem returned. I tried replacing the air filter element and cleaning the mass air flow sensor which didn't help. The codes I was getting were P0010 (camshaft position actuator solenoid) and P0700 and P2637, bother of which are transmission codes. I decided to replace the cam position solenoids. The job took about forty minutes. I have since then driven about fifteen miles , some interest are and a bunch of residential. The trans had plenty of up and downshift cycles and everything seemed to work fine. Hopefully the problem has been solved.
I really like this car and have about 70000 miles on it. However I was really on the verge not getting rid of it because of this transmission problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had that problem & it was the battery. It checked good but I replaced it with a new one. I also cleaned all the battery/fuse contacts with a pencil eraser/replaced them with new one. This fixed it for me. A very strange ghost! Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had that problem & it was the battery. It checked good but I replaced it with a new one. I also cleaned all the battery/fuse contacts with a pencil eraser/replaced them with new one. This fixed it for me. A very strange ghost! Good luck!
You make a very good point ! With later model motorcycles the battery is the first thing I suspect whenever they have odd problems. The computers are so damn dependent on a specific voltage range, if they don't get it, there can be all kinds of weirdness going on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Yogi,
I had read it.

Back in the dark ages when I was a mechanic and then a service manager, cars didnt have all these sensors, actuators, and computers. I had a 1971 BMW 2002 that I put 170000 miles on that had no sensors or computers whatsoever. It was a great, simple, fun car. I put a few water pumps on it, replaced a head gasket and that was about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Had that problem with my auto 2008 Sky red line. Sometimes, it was downshifting really hard. As i've read here, i've replaced the two actuator solenoids, and it fixed the problem. Cost: About $100.00 - $120.00 for both solenoids, if you do it yourself (Takes about 15 minutes to replace them) :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Back in the dark ages when I was a mechanic and then a service manager, cars didnt have all these sensors, actuators, and computers. I had a 1971 BMW 2002 that I put 170000 miles on that had no sensors or computers whatsoever. It was a great, simple, fun car. I put a few water pumps on it, replaced a head gasket and that was about it.
True, but then an LS motor was not making 500+ hp on pump gas either. The increased complexity has added a lot to the overall performance. Which does not make it less a pain in the ass.

I go back to the days when we used to use the striker from a book of matches to file the points along side the road when the damn VW bug stopped running correctly.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i remember setting the points in my 66 tempest with a matchbook cover before i could afford one of those sears battery tester/gap set boxes.still have it in my toolbox.i imagine when my grandson inherits my tools he will be mystified by that and the header gaskets.kept that car running good though,back in the 80s none of the IROC zs wanted to line up with it.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
i remember setting the points in my 66 tempest with a matchbook cover before i could afford one of those sears battery tester/gap set boxes.still have it in my toolbox.i imagine when my grandson inherits my tools he will be mystified by that and the header gaskets.kept that car running good though,back in the 80s none of the IROC zs wanted to line up with it.
LOL

Great observation. I have a couple of sets of feeler gauges too. Not a lot of call for them these days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I go back to those days too. I remember wrapping a chewing gum wrapper around the ceramic fuses on a VW to get a circuit working.
After I got out of college I got away from working on cars and really don't like to do it anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2007 Solstice!!!! Changed the Throttle Body Sensor.... didn't help! It cleared the code...... It was downshifting hard, now it not only downshifts hard, but also when in park, and it warms up, it shifts hard into drive!

Mechanic is going to check the transmission shifting now.....

Any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts