Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I'm thinking about getting a hard-top for my baby. I found one
maker,...........in Pennsylvania I think.

anybody got an opinion?

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you like the coupe look and can wait just a little longer, norms fiberglass is supposed to be coming out with a street-able coupe styled hardtop for our cars!!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Do you have pictures of the hardtop you are thinking about buying?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Smoothline makes two different syle tops for the Solstice. I have a Smoothline top on my MGB and am very pleased with the quality of the product. If I were looking for a Solstice hardtop, I would definitely look at Smoothline. Can't wait to see Norms top!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
So... I just noticed something. The smoothline hardtop renders the trunk worthless. You can't open it with the top in place. What's the point? :confused:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't really access mine too often, mainly just to put the top up and down. I'd certainly consider it if it wasn't too costly and he could add some angles to it, like that old edag top.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You are right! I went to the Smoothline site and indeed their hardtops make the trunk non-functional. But then a top that would make the trunk accessible would have to be mighty short and cut off looking...

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
Dan Furr There are a few members here that bought that particular top from Smoothline.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
You are right! I went to the Smoothline site and indeed their hardtops make the trunk non-functional. But then a top that would make the trunk accessible would have to be mighty short and cut off looking...
Yeah, I don't see any other way to do it. The smoothline looks really nice. You just have to be okay with not having any trunk. I'm going to wait and see what Norm comes up with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Smoothline was developing a 2 piece club racer that separated at the flap line to give access, but scrapped it because they couldn't get enough interest here.

Tops you could look up are Smoothilines 2 tops, Norms upcoming coupe top, one of the remaining EDAG tops, or Nankoo's hardtop.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Smoothline was developing a 2 piece club racer that separated at the flap line to give access, but scrapped it because they couldn't get enough interest here.

Tops you could look up are Smoothilines 2 tops, Norms upcoming coupe top, one of the remaining EDAG tops, or Nankoo's hardtop.
Realistically, the smoothline tops are the only ones that are available, but they will be built to order.

Norm's coupe top has only really seen the light of day for racing, and for racing, Norm doesn't have to worry about how to mount the top to the car. Norm is looking at a price of about $2400 for a top with a rear plexiglass window, and I'm guessing about $3500 with the factory glass rear window.

Edag is no longer in the market, and really never was, they made a few tops but had issues.

Nankoo might make a top for sale if he could get enough people interested, and they were all willing to give him a pretty hefty deposit. I'm not sure if he's really ready to make tops, and I don't think that price has been discussed.

Let's face it, there were only 65,000 Solstices made. The people that would like a hard top are a very small number, and due to the way our trunk opens and how close that opening is to the passenger open area, there are significant engineering and customer satisfaction issue involved in making a hard top for our cars. :( :brentil::willy:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Smoothline tops do not weigh that much. I have had both Styles of them and it is not very difficult to remove it by yourself and gain access to the truck. When I go on a long trip I take the top off anyway. I have run flats and keep the air pump and sealer behind the passengers seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts