Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Visited My Local Dealer And Was Told That The Solstice Is Going To Be Offered In A Power Hard Top And The New Base Price Will Be 22,000 Not 20,000

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well, that's news to all of us. If this is true i'm 100% amazed a dealer got info about the Solstice before we did online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This Was News To Me I'm Constantly Searching For New Info And This Just Made My Day. If Gm Makes This Change I Wonder What Else They Plan To Change. This Could Probably The Reason Things Have Been So Hush Hush About The Solstice. Also Is The Hard Top Worth The Extra 2000.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Actually I would want to believe an electronic hard top would cost more then $2000 normally. But I guess removing the current top for this one, and being designed as a convertible helps save some if this is true. Not sure if I'd like a hard convertible top over the cloth top.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll be the last person on this message board to claim to know anything about cars, but I could see this potentially being true with the natorious lack of information regarding how the top works.

But that would have to mean the mules were just one incarnation of probably a number of trials at building a top for the car.

And... theres the price point thing - GM, even in recent reports, has stayed committed to the "we will have SOME version of the Solstice available below $20k"

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Dealer could be blowing smoke. Unless there GM feels they can't compete on a back to basics roadster without a power roof? Would be a back pedal on several fronts but anything is possible I guess.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Nothing against kdog, but I'm going to have to raise the BS flag on that one. Has your local dealer given you reliable info in the past? Most dealers I've had the pleasure of talking to usually knew way less about the cars on their own lots than I did. Half of them are hard-pressed to tell me whether a car is front- or rear-wheel-drive.

I, for one am hoping this is NOT true. I don't need the added weight or complexity of a folding hardtop. Give me a manual ragtop, and the option to buy a removable hardtop for track days and winter months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would have to say this hard top is false. As the car sits there is no room to store that hard top when folded...there is barely enough room for a folded up soft top.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, like csjrishere said, a folding hard top I bet would eat up what's left of our miserable 2 cubic feet from the soft top bieng down. The only reason I would want a hard top over a soft top for this car is if it took up less space in the trunk. Besides lack of power, the small trunk space of the MR2 is what's stopped me from buying it a long time ago.

Now what would be nice is if I could remove the soft top completely from the car, and put some sort of hard top on the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For those of us who caught TomDocs 'I drove solstice' posts before he pulled them, he had said the top was manual and cloth if I recall correctly. I think the general consensus on the forum was that he had actually driven the car but had not been informed info was not to be posted, and that it was not BS. I'm not buying the dealers story, and still figuring we'll see a manual soft top.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LOL, its always funny to hear what information people get from dealers! They start the worst rumors!!

I would be extremely, highly skeptical of this one! A power retractable hardtop? With the known trunk space of this car, I find the thought that it would be a power operated hardtop somewhat comical.

I think your dealer may have been confusing specs of the Solstice with those of the Pontiac G6 convertible which is also coming out next year. The G6 will have a power operated hardtop, and I bet that is what he was thinking about.

So don’t get yourself too excited about a power hardtop Solstice. You will just set yourself up for a big letdown.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Although I would prefer a power hard top (for rear visibility, security, and road noise issues), I still have to call SHENS on this dealer. No way we get a power folding hard top for 20k, or even 22k. I can't think of any hard top convertible out there that sells for less than mid 30's. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

-Stephen M

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Mmmm, sure wonder if this specific specially informed dealer can also verify the sequential 6-speed with paddle shifter, electric windows/locks/seats, navigation system and AWD for only a few rubles more?

Take care-Steve

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
hmmmm, its a pretty good bet that dealers NEVER have the right info. Except for maybe Jason :D

Got Salt? Get several bags of it to take with any info you get from a dealer. The majority of the Pontiac dealers I've spoken with think the Solstice is a Toyota. :rolleyes

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey I'll also take the 450 horsepower optional engine ,twin 50 caliber
machine guns and the underwater running package . Balogney! Soft top
only but if they offer a power retractable hard top for 2 grand I'd buy it
wwp :patriot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Power Hard Top

I Went Back To The Dealer Today And Asked Another Salesman About The Solstice And He Gave Me The Same Info. He Said It Should Be At The North American Auto Show. He Also Said There Will Not Be A Turbo Edition Until Late 06 Or 07. The Only Option Available Will Be Leather, Abs, Slip Differintial, Upgraded Stereo And Wheel Finishes. I'm Dont Know About The Top But Everything Else He Said Was Pretty Much On Point With What I've Been Hearing. I Would Really Love That Top. I Saw Mercedes Top Operate And I Loved The Way It Came Together.

·
Registered
72 Posts
kdog said:
I Would Really Love That Top. I Saw Mercedes Top Operate And I Loved The Way It Came Together.

If all you want is the power hard top, from a Pontiac, why not wait for the G6 vert? It is supposed to have the top you want. Just a thought. :cheers

·
Registered
151 Posts
if the dealer got any reliable info from GM, it would more than likely been given to all the dealers, not just one...

and on top of that, we would have heard of this before you had time to log in.

i would like the hard top as well, but i'll take the softop for the lack of added weight. who knows though, with them developing the hardtop for the G6, it could save some development money and they could just as easily adapt it for the 'stice, but production costs are key

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It would be a huge shock if they indeed had a hard top in the works, but a welcome one. (if it's only 2k more).

I'll take it with the aforementioned bag of salt for now, but definately one of the more interesting rumors in a while.

I'm just praying the rubber surround on the windshield doesn't have that stupid block of rubber sticking out 3/4 of the ways up we saw on the latest mule. I didn't buy that last Cutless convertible because of the stupid shoulder harness supports sticking up past the door, and I'll probably pass on the Solstice if it has that block. I can't stand anything on a car looking like it is a afterthought.

(unless it's an Aztek, which looks like one BIG afterthought)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts