Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just fielding an idea, but do you think that the aftermarket might open up on a removable hard top for the Solstice (obviously wouldnt stow in the trunk) but could be taken off with 2 people kind of like the way a hard top on a Wrangler is. I would be willing to guess that companies that manufacture those tops for Wrangler would want to get in on that, also i would suspect that they even include a real buttress hard top that actually fits into the snap holes as well with a pin lock system. Anyone thinking this would be a nice feature?

Also anyone think there will be HID's in the future for the Sol?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have heard rumors of hard tops that are already available in the aftermarket, but have yet to confirm them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow really? thats amazingly fast. I wonder which corp is doing it? Anyone who has ideas i would definitely like to know cause when i get mine i would like to have these mods:

Hard Top, Tints, Stage II Turbo kit (if i can afford it), Antenna mod, Short throw shifter, performance exhaust, ECU chip, forced air intake, 10" sub

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just thought about it though...... the dealer that told me that is also a dealer on the boycott list..... they may have just been trying to get the sale.... crafty bastards...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Since there is no factory hardtop at this time and I've seen no factory mounting points on present production cars, most aftermarket companies will probably wait to see how the factory mounts one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I agree with LBJay, the first one that is likely to be seen is a factory hardtop from GM accessories. Besides, the factory tops are generally better than the aftermarket. Most of the aftermarket Wrangler tops are not as nice or of high quality as the Mopar top.

·
Registered
191 Posts
the '02 concept showed a hardtop and it was VERY sexy..... if it looks anything like that from the factory I'll have to trade in

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Speedofsound said:
Hey just fielding an idea, but do you think that the aftermarket might open up on a removable hard top for the Solstice (obviously wouldnt stow in the trunk) but could be taken off with 2 people kind of like the way a hard top on a Wrangler is. I would be willing to guess that companies that manufacture those tops for Wrangler would want to get in on that, also i would suspect that they even include a real buttress hard top that actually fits into the snap holes as well with a pin lock system. Anyone thinking this would be a nice feature?

Also anyone think there will be HID's in the future for the Sol?

Do a search of the forum threads - this topic has been discussed before a while back.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I agree with LBJay, the first one that is likely to be seen is a factory hardtop from GM accessories. Besides, the factory tops are generally better than the aftermarket. Most of the aftermarket Wrangler tops are not as nice or of high quality as the Mopar top.
hate to point it out. but the "mopar" tops are (or at least they were only a few years back) produced by one of the aftermarket companies. besttop if memory serves me correct.

the 3rd party tops, the quality name ones like besttop, are generally better than jeep's and include features like flipping back just the driver/passenger section.

scottjl
1997 Green Sahara, +Full Doors, +Soft & Hard Tops, +18" wheels, +CD, +Limited-Slip rear axel, +ABS, +a whole lot more

it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand...

·
Registered
337 Posts
LBJay said:
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Since there is no factory hardtop at this time and I've seen no factory mounting points on present production cars, most aftermarket companies will probably wait to see how the factory mounts one.
I would think the buttress points and the existing front latches would work? Pop the back of the hardtop into the buttresses, then close your latch lever just like you do with the ragtop.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,591 Posts
SolTex said:
I would think the buttress points and the existing front latches would work? Pop the back of the hardtop into the buttresses, then close your latch lever just like you do with the ragtop.
If you do it that way, how do you get into the trunk without removing the entire top?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
SolTex said:
The rear pins would not be enough to hold the top down tight. The rear deck can flex too much. It will need some kind of hold down point right behind the rear of the side glass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i def saw that, but i thought it would be the sleekest way to get a hard top. Personally i dont think its too big of a deal anyway seeing that there is barely any room back there anyway... but yea good point

·
Registered
337 Posts
SolWhat? said:
If you do it that way, how do you get into the trunk without removing the entire top?

What Trunk? You got a trunk with your Solstice. :lol: No access to the trunk for me would not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SlySol said:
Man, I really wish some aftermarket company would consider doing that kind of "coupe conversion" hardtop. It would be so cool to be able to swith back and forth between cool 'vert and spacious coupe hardtop.
Yep. :yesnod: You never know.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SlySol said:
Man, I really wish some aftermarket company would consider doing that kind of "coupe conversion" hardtop. It would be so cool to be able to swith back and forth between cool 'vert and spacious coupe hardtop.
I agree, but I see a lot of possible difficulties, seals and mounting points being two.

·
Registered
576 Posts
SolTex said:
What Trunk? You got a trunk with your Solstice. :lol: No access to the trunk for me would not be a problem.
:agree: :agree:
Not sure you really have any choice. Almost anything you do for a hardtop is going to mean you stay out of the trunk. :(

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Editguy said:
I agree, but I see a lot of possible difficulties, seals and mounting points being two.
Yeah, it might be a bit tricky, but there are already seals in place most of the way if it were carefully designed to fit together where the existing top and trunk lid currently meet. And the trunk hinges should provide a perfectly adequate mounting point as long as it fits into place nicely along the seam of the trunk. After some consideration, I think that might even be a bit easier of a solution than the simple hardtop that replaces only the top (due to the problems keeping access to the "trunk"). Obviously, the materials and design costs would be higher for the coupe style because of the larger size and additional hatchback rear window that would need to be added though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts