Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hardtop finish.... now with a pic.

So last summer I picked up a well used gxp coupe in black just a few hours from home here in Alberta. Besides the cheap 17" aftermarket wheels with skinny all season tires the one thing that bothers me about the car is the (paint?) finish on the hardtop roof piece.

The car is in storage, haven't got a relevant picture but the car has a decent black shine, but the hardtop looks like dull faded plastic moulding. It was rarely garaged, and also winter driven but I'm just kinda dissapointed in how poorly the finish on the roof has held up.

Now, I'm currently overflowing with cars (live in a condo, and work out of town) so unfortunately the car has been in storage for 7mo, and I'm not sure when I'll get it out. I haven't tried a simple polish or wax, a friend suggested the armorall products for faded black bumpers/trim but I'm not sure.

Anyone have experiences/ideas?

Also, bi-annual WTB Soft-Top post, please contact me :) -----EDIT, found one!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Professional detailing. Specifically someone who specializes and is experienced in bringing back exterior finishes to OEM like condition. BTW, the targa hard top is a sheet molded compound. Also, happen to know the the VIN?

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Do NOT use armor all!

Get a good after market product. I use Adam's Polishes products and love them. Armor all leaves a film that over time will turn black rubber / plastic gray.

The top is painted with the same automotive paint as the body. Treat it like you would any other painted panel.

Recommend you treat all the rubber seals as well. I use dielectric grease and just rub it in a couple of times a year. The rubber will dry out over time and the UV will cause damage. Using dielectric grease or a rubber protectant of your choice is a great idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got a pic of what I was talking about with the dull finish on my roof piece. Car is in storage, and covered in dust. I just cleaned off a small area for the picture.

Pic Link

And, got me a soft top on the way :)

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
wow - that is weird...

mine is nothing like that.

did someone paint it, or plasti-dip it ?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If its not plastic dip or a flat black car wrap, the only other way I could see it looking like this would be if it was sanded, but you should be able to see the sand marks if it was. Hopefully it's plastic dip and will peel right off whatever it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts