Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ohh a Nankoo hardtop. What are you designing? Its been awhile.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Let it be a fold in the trunk hardtop, please please please. Potentially that would work for both lines Sky/Sol.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
The difference in the hump profile is small and could be accommodated by having the top seal to the car in front of the hump / trunk seam or by having a slightly thicker gasket that would seal to either configuration.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Since Smoothline offers two different hardtop styles, it seems like another hardtop would have to be better looking, or sold at a price point that is more competitive.

The only other hardtop that was available was EDAG, but buying complete kits is now history. But someone did buy Revenge Design remaining hardtop stock and has been advertising them on Craigslist for months @ $500.

BTW, here's an idea, how about considering designing other body parts options, like; hoods, rear spoilers, recessed grills, Ford Cobra like fascia, and Aftershock side skirts.

Or, a unique 2.4 front splitter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let it be a fold in the trunk hardtop.
Something like this or really a design that would allow access to the trunk with the top installed would be ideal. My Sky is my daily and I would like to use a hardtop in the winter, but I need all the functionality of the factory soft top.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so lets see what would you guys like ... and what price range are you looking for ...
am looking into building a new design ... so lets all exchange ideas...

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
I would agree with others, that a hardtop that allows trunk access would be great. Perhaps a two piece design - where the cabin cover truncates flat, with the wide rear window. And then the second piece is a skeletal bridge with open rear flying buttresses (for visibility) and latches onto the trunk via the buttress holes. An overall effect similar to late-model Fieros or Lancia Montecarlo (but not as long or heavy looking). The second piece can then pivot up with the trunk, while the main cabin stays sealed.

Doing it this way would bypass any fitting over the humps - meaning the design would fit both Sol and Sky.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Among all the other projects I want to do, I had ideas for a hardtop as well. I thought of making it a two piece like TomatoSoup had suggested and somehow disabling the buttress release mechanisms so that the rear piece stays attached to the trunk lid. I don't think through bolting is an option as that would permit water to leak into the trunk. Or replace the entire trunk with a fiberglass one that incorporates the back half of the new hardtop. I also thought of elongating the buttress flaps (which would no longer be flaps on the hardtop) to within a couple of inches of the rear spoiler. Then, a targa top would have to made perhaps even a "T" top.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I agree with others. The top has to allow trunk access and maintain the flying buttress look. I had had the same thought as TS, but I'm not up for the challenge of building it myself.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If we are talking hard tops that take the trunk out and be a coupe, I'm out. I wouldn't pay much (just my opinion as Norm and smoothline make a nice product too that is reasonable). A foldable one that goes into the trunk, I'd go $2500.00 range raw.

Perhaps a redesign of the trunk lid to accommodate but something like this.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm interested. As long as it doesn't turn it into a coupe(not that there's anything wrong with that ;)).

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
If we are talking hard tops that take the trunk out and be a coupe, I'm out. I wouldn't pay much (just my opinion as Norm and smoothline make a nice product too that is reasonable). A foldable one that goes into the trunk, I'd go $2500.00 range raw.

Perhaps a redesign of the trunk lid to accommodate but something like this.

:agree:

Something like the picture that cdflint posted but that would retain the double humps of the solstice trunk would be very cool. I could be interested in that.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts