Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP ! !
Our car has been in the shop for 6 months.
In January 2021 our low mileage 2006 Solstice with a 6 speed manual transmission needed an engine replacement. The reason for the engine failure is not 100% known except there was very bad & loud nocking and metal discovered in the oil / oil pan.
Along with a GM remanufactured engine we also replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and pilot bearing. These were replaced mostly out of caution because of the minimal additional cost while the drivetrain was apart. The throw-out bearing was not replaced because of the cars low mileage.
When we picked up the car there was a noticeable issue. I can only describe it as a harmonic, resonating drone noise with a slight vibration. This occurs between 3000 and 3200 RPM in every gear, but is most noticeable (probably because of speed) in 4th & 5th gear. While driving on the expressway at @ 3200 RPM and hearing the noise, if you press the clutch, the noise / vibration stops immediately. Sitting at a full stop and revving the engine to 3500 RPM there is no noise / vibration.
You DON’T feel any vibration in the steering wheel, gear shift lever, seats, brake or clutch pedal.
We returned the car to the dealer and they said that after reviewing with GM, snice everything else was new, the only logical thing that could be causing this was the throw-out bearing.
We replaced the throw-out bearing and this resolved nothing. There is the same harmonic, resonating droning noise and vibration between 3000 and 3200 RPM.
I’m looking for any advice or insight into what could be causing this. Because everything is new we’ve reached a point where we don’t know what to check next.
Anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
279 Posts
You DON’T feel any vibration in the steering wheel, gear shift lever, seats, brake or clutch pedal.

So from where do you feel this vibration?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
978 Posts
Assuming this is warrantied work I hope?
“Could” be that the blown engine indicated abusive driving which may mean higher than normal stress on the drivetrain. Just a guess.

one would assume they would have noticed other issues with the transmission when they had it out so..
Possibly the differential?

Have you had the differential fluid changed?
If you are having the dealership do it you could ask them to check the differential while they are down there.
-or-
not sure how hands on you are but assuming you have a jack and stands you could get her rear up in the air (parking brake off and in Neutral, front wheels chocked) and rotate the wheel back and forth. You’d be “feeling” for play in the wheel… you can get a rough idea of the amount of free play there is before the pinion contacts the ring.

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
208 Posts
In my rebuilt T56 (TR6060) transmission on my Trans Am, I have a very noticeable growl and odd vibration in low RPMs in 4th and 5th. My assumption was it is a bearing in the transmission, though I've also read (just 1) opinion that it's related to the specific clutch I have. Given the symptoms you describe, sounds like it's a transmission bearing, or maybe the pilot bearing, tho that really shouldn't be in motion on its own normally, but maybe if it's not aligned it's giving extra play on the input shaft.
Also, advice: If you (anyone) is replacing a clutch, always do all the pieces, don't skip the TOB, and especially the pilot bearing.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Not saying you aren’t right (and we don’t have enough info to know if this is a modified from stock transmission or not) but It being an 06, and it having had a blown engine indicating some possible drive train stress, unless the OP has already done it, I would have the differential checked out.
Even without the noise issue that has arisen here.

Also, seconded on the do-it-all parts replacement on the tranny. It’s stuff like that that makes me hate dealerships so much.
Gotta be like 80% of the job cost is in the labor to take it out and put it back in. Might as well replace any wear items while you are in there.
But if course then they wouldn’t get to charge the client for taking it back out again down the road…

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,118 Posts
Oh I love the dealershits and or independent shops that charge 1000+ for a head gasket and then another 1000+ to do the timing chain even tho you have to take the chain off to do the head gasket. "It's what the book time says it takes to do a timing chain"

I went into an oil change place to have them change my oil. I had my own oil and my own filter. all they needed to do was drain it, put the new filter on and put the new oil in. I asked them how much they charge to do that.. I was then asked "Is it Synthetic Oil?"... What?!?!??!? I said "Why does that matter?" and the reply was "We charge more to put Synthetic in." and I then stated again, "I have my own oil and filter!" and the response was "We still charge more because it is synthetic."

I looked at the guy with what had to be the blankest stare ever, then I said " I can't even argue with that level of stupidity. It would make me less intelligent if I continue this discussion!!" and I walked out. The customer that was waiting to get his car pulled in was right behind me and said to me "I don't want someone that stupid working on my car!"

My mother in law needed a new front strut on her Subaru. She was quoted almost 1000.00 for one strut. I almost pooped myself. I sent her a link to buy Monroe Quick struts and told her that labor should be no more then 1.5 hours for both sides. I told her it is a total of 11 bolts/nuts on each side including the lug nuts. total cost, 180.00 for the pair of quick struts and 200.00 to put them in. HUGE difference from a strut only replacement on a single side for close to 1000.00.

The guy that did the struts used a hand sledge to get the half shaft out (not sure why he took it out in the first place) instead of using the proper tool and he damaged the CV bearing. I told her to tell the guy that she would pay his cost for the axle and he would put it in for free. That way he didn't take any loss other then his time, the one that was in her car had 150K miles on it so that was fair. 60.00 total she paid for the axle installed. The guy was happy with the resolution as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So from where do you feel this vibration?
Unfortunately the location of the vibration is difficult to define / pinpoint. It’s coming from the front and center of the car. You have the sense it’s coming from the general area of the transmission tunnel. But I have to emphasize that it’s a slight vibration the more noticeable thing is the noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming this is warrantied work I hope?
“Could” be that the blown engine indicated abusive driving which may mean higher than normal stress on the drivetrain. Just a guess.

Unfortunately this is not warranty work but the dealer has been very accommodating with the repair cost. There is no abusive driving with this car. The cause of the engine failure is not known. We bought the car used and from day one it’s always had a lifter nock especially on cold starts. So I suspect that is the root cause. We had some work done on the head to clear oil passages. This repair had short term success because in a year the noise returned. Today I regret not taking that farther….. but nothing we can do about that now.

I’m trying to figure this issue out so we don’t have similar regrets.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Logic tells me that if the noise that happens at speed, consistently and goes away when you disengage the clutch, then start there and work rearward right?

Since the earlier Sols were know to have differential issues, I think it’s worth checking regardless.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Logic tells me that if the noise that happens at speed, consistently and goes away when you disengage the clutch, then start there and work rearward right?

Since the earlier Sols were know to have differential issues, I think it’s worth checking regardless.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I'm focused on the clutch. As far as the rest of the drivetrain....I'm asking this because I'm not an expert.... while traveling at speed and the clutch is depressed aren't the transmission, drive shaft, rear dif and axles all still turning at the same RPM? So if the noise was coming from one of those, I would think you would continue to hear it, for a short period of time anyway.

Also One reason I don't think it's the trans or diff is because there was no issue before replacing the engine. So the question I have is what in replacing the engine would cause one of those to start making the noise???

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
When the clutch is disengaged the drive shaft is no longer what’s “driving” the differential.. torque has been removed. At least that’s my twisted logic.
You are correct in Pursuing the clutch / trans but why not have them check the dif for “play” while they are down there..?

To quote Austin Powers:
“I don’t know about you but whenever I am on the job I like to give my undercarriage a bit of how’s your father”

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,118 Posts
@HHGadget

You are correct. any kind of a noise or a vibration that stops when the clutch gets depressed can occur from any component between the clutch and the ground.

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
I'm focused on the clutch. As far as the rest of the drivetrain....I'm asking this because I'm not an expert.... while traveling at speed and the clutch is depressed aren't the transmission, drive shaft, rear dif and axles all still turning at the same RPM? So if the noise was coming from one of those, I would think you would continue to hear it, for a short period of time anyway.

Also One reason I don't think it's the trans or diff is because there was no issue before replacing the engine. So the question I have is what in replacing the engine would cause one of those to start making the noise???
I think you should find out what was disassembled when the engine was pulled and concentrate on those components. This could be a problem with the propeller (drive) shaft being either loose or aligned improperly.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was going to ask the same question, along with what engine is installed? the standard 2.4 ? Vibrations at a certain rpm level were usually driveshaft related in my experiance. With it vibrating in all gears at that RPM range, it points to either a Driveshaft or Half Shaft issue. I doubt it is transmission or clutch related. But it could be. But I would look at the driveshaft 1st, then the Half shafts, then the Diff.

·
Registered
479 Posts
OK, check out other members' suggestions above. It also seems to me as a driveshaft issue or maibe engine to gearbox alignment issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you should find out what was disassembled when the engine was pulled and concentrate on those components. This could be a problem with the propeller (drive) shaft being either loose or aligned improperly.
Agreed. Because it didn't do this before. I think it has to be something that was worked on / removed and reinstalled. Or a misalignment somewhere.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts