Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot help but wonder if anyone in here has actually compared the ride, features, performance, and price of the new Mazda, the Sol, a lightly used Honda S2k, and any other roadster you can buy for between $20K and $25K out the door.

I know that a used car is exactly that: used, but there are a bunch out there with 100K extended warranties, in great shape, that are real performers, and while they may not have the modern, dynamic appearance of the new Solstice, they can run circles around it in performance and features comparisons. And, there are a good number available, all over the country, offered by folks just like you all, who really take good care of their rides.

I am interested in your opinions on this.

DLP
Chandler, AZ

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just checked the Honda web site. The s2000 starts at 33,700.

·
Registered
278 Posts
sol1570 said:
which would be why he said USED, and went off on his "I know that a used car is exactly that: used," shpiel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was sugesting a lightly USED S2K

sol1570 said:
There is a website called S2Ki.com that has many excellent, lightly used (Under 20K miles) cars, many with the 100K mile warrant still in tact that sell for thousands less than $25K. And any Honda dealer will now sell you a brand new 2005 S2K for around $31 out the door. The key word here is USED. Check it out.

When the Solstice was first shown in the car shows around the country, I, as many of you, was knocked over by the beauty of this car. And, the price was out of sight. But when it came to the production version, and all the problems, and lack of standard features such as a spare tire and trunk, the comparison begs to be done against what you could buy for the same money. Make the comparison.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Also consider a low mileage Boxster......

You may also want to consider a pre-owned (not used) Porsche Boxster. Great car for the money! :yesnod:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly!

ntouched said:
You may also want to consider a pre-owned (not used) Porsche Boxster. Great car for the money! :yesnod:
The Boxter is an excellent example of what I mean. And, there are bunch out there that have less than 20K miles and some with the extended warranties. I fear that many in this forum have been blinded to the virtues of these other cars by the shear beauty and newness of the Solstice. Granted, the Sol is drop dead gorgeous, but, as my departed grandmother used to remind me, "beauty is only skin deep." It can be "outer newey, inner phewie," which was another of her oft-used quotes. Clearly, grandma would have not have been a fan of the Sol.

DLP
Chandler, AZ

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also being the owner of a S2000 i would be very careful buying used. This is a high reving engine and tends to get used abused from the younger owners
If it was me i would buy a Honda certified S2000 rather then from an individual. my 2 cents

Edit.... Oh and the Boxter will eat your ass alive on maintanince

·
Registered
905 Posts
I generally only buy stuff new, especially expensive stuff. The only way I'd buy a used car is if they stopped making them. For instance, I just saw an 02' Trans Am that does 1/4 miles in 12.24 seconds for $16k in the paper, had the Solstice not come out I might have gotten it.

My requirements for a new car were the following:
-Under $30k
-Rear Wheel Drive
-Manual Transmission

The Solstice fit all of those and with a bunch of performance mods down the road I'll be rocking a really sweet car, that's got the looks and performance of a $40k+ car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
AZJuez said:
I cannot help but wonder if anyone in here has actually compared the ride, features, performance, and price of the new Mazda, the Sol, a lightly used Honda S2k, and any other roadster you can buy for between $20K and $25K out the door.

I know that a used car is exactly that: used, but there are a bunch out there with 100K extended warranties, in great shape, that are real performers, and while they may not have the modern, dynamic appearance of the new Solstice, they can run circles around it in performance and features comparisons. And, there are a good number available, all over the country, offered by folks just like you all, who really take good care of their rides.

I am interested in your opinions on this.

DLP
Chandler, AZ

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself to get the Honda and looking here to get some validation on that thought. Don't get me wrong, I like the Honda. In real world driving I doubt the performance difference is that great between the two cars...........That leaves looks. In that department the Solstice is miles ahead. Have you driven a Solstice (or Honda) to make the comparison for yourself or going by what you have read? Good luck on your decision and hope you have no buyers remorse on whatever you buy.

Steak (still swinging)

P.S. I waited over 5 months for my car and have NO REGRETS!

·
Registered
45 Posts
What opinion do you really want? Simply whether people are shopping new vs used, whether the S2K is that much of a better performer to be worth accepting a lightly used car, or whether for the price you cannot beat a Sol?

Everyone has their own priorities and expectations in a roadster. Some put much more emphasis on performance, others on appearance, some simply are concerned with the best fit for their frame. Any idividuals choice of roadster will reflect these priorities.

·
5,600 Posts
I am renown for advising against buying used performance cars, especially Honda S2000's, so take this with a grain of salt.

I guess a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper LIMITED warranty will help. But I would find out if it covers clutch problems due to numerous "clutch dumps", rear differentials that are abused, transmissions that are abused, V-tec engines that are revved to red-line on every shift, and brakes and rotors that are worked to super-heated conditions.

f you decide to buy a used Honda S2000, be careful. In fact, I would read alot of threads on the s2ki forums and look for any posts related to the follwing problems: "clutch dumps", "clutch failure", "rear differential failure", "transmission failure", "driveline failure", "brake failure" or "body damage".

I am sure 95% of Honda S2000 drivers don't abuse their cars. But be especially wary of that 5% who abuse their cars. You probably won't end up with an abused basket case, but ask yourself if you don't mind risking getting a car that was purchase brand new by someone who knew he was going to auto-cross it every weekend and race it on backroads, shifting frequently, hitting the limiter on every shift, crushing the brake pedal until the pads were smoking, and doing hundreds and hundreds of 8000 RPM "clutch dumps", knowing he was only going to keep it for 20,000 miles anyway, so he washed and waxed it and treated the leather interior.

A car like this would look like a bargain at 20,000 miles, only to find out it is an abused basket case - a time bomb ready to self-destruct about 10,000 miles after you buy it. Honda is not exactly generous with agreeing on warranty work. If they identify that the car was raced or abused, especially if they can determine they already replaced a rear differential, brake rotors or a transmission under warranty already, you may find yourself being stuck with the costs of these repairs. I have no clue if Honda will fix all this for free - they just may. I don't own Honda. But I would be skeptical if I were you...

Not saying this is typical. Just saying S2000's like this are floating around out there. If you like to take risks, go for it. I wouldn't.

·
5,600 Posts
AZJuez said:
I fear that many in this forum have been blinded to the virtues of these other cars by the shear beauty and newness of the Solstice.

I am not blinded by the Solstice's advantages, so much as that I am very afraid of buying a used performance car that just may be severely abused.

I refuse to buy a used performance car, be it Mustang GT or Mitsubishi Evo, unless I personally know the owner and trust him like a brother.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ask again, has anybody done the comparison?

Swinging Steak said:
Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself to get the Honda and looking here to get some validation on that thought. Don't get me wrong, I like the Honda. In real world driving I doubt the performance difference is that great between the two cars...........That leaves looks. In that department the Solstice is miles ahead. Have you driven a Solstice (or Honda) to make the comparison for yourself or going by what you have read? Good luck on your decision and hope you have no buyers remorse on whatever you buy.

Steak (still swinging)

P.S. I waited over 5 months for my car and have NO REGRETS!
I clearly do not need convincing to buy an S2K. While waiting and waiting and waiting for my first 1000 car (which still has not been delivered), I bought a 2001 S2K to drive around and maybe even make a few bucks on to help pay for the Sol, which was on order.

The 2001 S2ks are noted for having some trany howl when down shifting into 3rd and 4th, due to an undampened clutch plate, which was modified in 2002 to eliminate the problem. Even though the time period for the standard 3 year warranty had run out, I had less than the 36K miles on the car, and the local Honda dealer replaced the clutch with the dampened version for free, without batting an eye. That is real company service. Do you honestly know a GM dealer who would do that? The point is there is more than just drop-dead great looks, which the Sol certainly has. There is the company which stands behind it.

I agree about not wanting to buy an abused car, but there are many good used roadsters (not just s2Ks) out there that can be verified by a certified mechanic at the local dealer. If you want to take the time, and get the many extras at a lower cost.

I agree that we all have what we are looking for in a car, and some will find it in the Sol, and others in other roadsters. I have still not heard one member of the forum answer my first question: Has anyone driven them all and compared for themselves, or are they just waiting to see what the magazines have to say?

I have driven the Sol, I have driven the new Miata, and the Boxer, and my own S2K. No buyer's remorse there! Especially for the money paid ($18K). Especially when one of the salesmen at the local Pontiac dealer suggested waiting until they "have all the bugs out of the Solstice," to order one.

There will be those who suggest that I bug outa this forum and just spend my time at S2Ki.com, but the point is I still like the Sol, and when they do get all the bugs out, and decide to add a trunk and spare tire (maybe in the coupe), I may just come back an order one. In the meantime, anybody else out there who has made the comparison, or are you just doing your reading and looking at the pretty pictures?

DLP
Chandler, AZ

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think everyone who tried to answer your question missed the point. I have driven all three cars, side by side, at the GM training for the Solstice. I will admit to a bias for the Pontiac, I drive Pontiacs, but all things considered...

The s2k is a nice car. It has quick, crisp throws of the transmission, and alot more LOW END POWER than the miata or the Solstice. It Lacked alot inside, I didn't like the guages or the positioning of Shifter, steering wheel, etc...

Shifting was ok, but It didn't really accomidate heel toe like My Firebird, or the Solstice. I was very impressed with the way you could drop the ass end out in second without much skill in the Honda.

The S2K lacks in the style department. Bland in comparison to the competition, new or used.

The Miata had a VERY EASY TO OPERATE top. That's about it. I am 6 foot 2, so I felt like a monkey sitting on a football. Or like the trainer said, "A carnival bear driving a go cart." Crappy braking, horrible looks, and when weighed pound for pound, no competition whatsoever for the Solstice.

No question which car has better style, regardless of price, new or used.

As to any question aroused about purchasing a used S2K, for all the negative reasons above, it's a bad idea, and it will not turn heads. After all, none of these are being judged on the regular basics for cars (cupholders, storage space, etc....)

Hope this answer helps you....

·
Registered
753 Posts
i was tempted by a used s2k. they handle great and really come alive above 5k rpm. the power top and interior appointments are the next level in quality. the solstice handles better, has a more spacious and comfortable cabin, and while ultimately is not as powerful is more tractable in everyday driving . way better looking too. here is my s2k impression
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373

·
4,592 Posts
I am floored no one brought up the MSM, best bang for your buck, look at what you get, what it can do, and know they could be had for $18K. Now it's not for everybody, but I'm smiling. :)

I've driven all those cars, and none has had the performance edge the MSM has, the NC miata mx-5 is almost as fast, but not as fun in aceleration, that's agreed on prety universally on the miata board. The S2K is faster, but apparently it's a fun car over 50mph, I prefer fun getting to 60mph. The solstice is the lateste and greatest in looks, and that has a hands down advantage (I still feel a first 1K would have been reallly cool - first on the block thing), but it's fairly lacking in acceleration. Never driven a boxster, but know it would rock, but very very expensice to maintain.

Bottom line, each individual will have a personal reason to like one car over another, drive each, get some facts (like the boxster is too expensive to maintain), and drive the one that makes you smile the most for years to come.

Hope that helped!!!

Love my MSMs

·
4,592 Posts
p.s. The Solstice GXP belongs in this discussion, a Solstice with power for under $30K, that's gotta rock!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I never considered any of those cars, because they do nothing for me. The choice of a car is a personal one. Sometimes I choose because it meets a specific need. But a roadster is not a need, it's a desire. And desires are filled with something that appeals to us. For example, if I want steak, a burger won't satisfy. Had the Solstice never come along, I would never have purchased a roadster because none of the others interest me, new or used. I want steak, so you can keep your burgers (and enjoy, because that's what you want!). ;)

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
I never considered any of those cars, because they do nothing for me. The choice of a car is a personal one. Sometimes I choose because it meets a specific need. But a roadster is not a need, it's a desire. And desires are filled with something that appeals to us. For example, if I want steak, a burger won't satisfy. Had the Solstice never come along, I would never have purchased a roadster because none of the others interest me, new or used. I want steak, so you can keep your burgers (and enjoy, because that's what you want!). ;)
You didn't just call my my MSM a hamburger did you? Cause my hamburger will eat your steak in a 0-60, and leave you a McSauasge McMuffin for change.......if you know what I mean............... :devil:

Just a trollism for you EditGuy! :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
cadillacricket said:
I think everyone who tried to answer your question missed the point. I have driven all three cars, side by side, at the GM training for the Solstice. I will admit to a bias for the Pontiac, I drive Pontiacs, but all things considered...

The s2k is a nice car. It has quick, crisp throws of the transmission, and alot more LOW END POWER than the miata or the Solstice. It Lacked alot inside, I didn't like the guages or the positioning of Shifter, steering wheel, etc...

Shifting was ok, but It didn't really accomidate heel toe like My Firebird, or the Solstice. I was very impressed with the way you could drop the ass end out in second without much skill in the Honda.

The S2K lacks in the style department. Bland in comparison to the competition, new or used.

The Miata had a VERY EASY TO OPERATE top. That's about it. I am 6 foot 2, so I felt like a monkey sitting on a football. Or like the trainer said, "A carnival bear driving a go cart." Crappy braking, horrible looks, and when weighed pound for pound, no competition whatsoever for the Solstice.

No question which car has better style, regardless of price, new or used.

As to any question aroused about purchasing a used S2K, for all the negative reasons above, it's a bad idea, and it will not turn heads. After all, none of these are being judged on the regular basics for cars (cupholders, storage space, etc....)

Hope this answer helps you....
Point - Counter Point - the S2K has one of the absolute WORST stereos ever put in a car. It is absolute junk. And for those of us that are 6' and up, when you push the seat back and it hits the bulkhead, there is an annoying squeek, squeek, squeek. But then again the crappy stereo might cover up that sound.

As to the MX5, I completely disagree with you about the brakes. The ones I test drove were fantastic. Haven't test drove the Solstice yet, but the MX5 is a very fine car for the right buyer. If you fit in it, it is great. Sure it has bland styling (ordering a bright red one helps) but superb performance and acceleration - pushing the engine to red line to shift is fun and functional.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.