Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if any of the old timers still have their original Solstices? I picked up car 0051 on 9/8/05 and still drive it nearly everyday. Until just last week, it was my daily driver.

My commute now is about 110 miles round trip, so I decided to get another car to do the commute that would get a little better mileage, have an automatic for all the bumper to bumper crap and be able to haul crap back and forth. I ended up with a nice 2001 Ford Focus wagon with 58,000 miles on it for $3000. Fits the mission and the budget.

No plans to sell the Solstice though. I like to keep a car ten years and then get another brand new car. Well, ten years is up on the Solstice, but you know what? The auto industry is doing a terrible job of getting me to trade!!!

The only new car out there I actually want is the new Corvette, but the numbers just don't work for me. The only real replacement for the Solstice is the new Mazda MX-5, but while the new '16 model is an improvement over the last gen happy bar of soap design, the new one doesn't do much at all for me. Too "Japanesey" for me I guess.

Here's a link to my exciting news back in '05!

After ten years and 90,000 miles, I thought I would comment on the car that Consumer's Reports thought was just about the worst car in America that you could buy-

Covered under warranty-

Two leaky shocks.
Leaky power steering reservoir.
Super weird leaky instrument dimmer switch. Seriously, it leaked an oily substance on the dash and no one could understand it.
HVAC temperature control failed.
Recall for differential fluid issue. Never a problem for me.
Recall for the ignition switch. Never failed on me.

Stuff I had to pay for-

Water pump failed at about 38,000 miles.
Driver's side outside door handle broke.
Both cam timing solenoids at different times.
Right tail light bulb. POS blew out after only 9 years of service!!!
Battery!! Another POS after only 6 years of service!!!
Tires. They were pretty crappy and only lasted 54,000 miles!!
Rear window has come unglued this year. I have yet to fix it.

Never did the car leave me stranded anywhere. It has never been towed. All repairs were done on my terms when I decided. Nowhere the tragedy that Consumer's Reports predicted, but also far from the Toyota/Honda legendary reliability.

Like I said, the auto industry is failing to do any better. :cool:

I have half a mind to take out a loan that would have been a car loan and put a new V8 in her and call it new!! :devil:

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
nice... miles of smiles... Congrats...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ya not me, but nice to see you back here after a 3 year hiatus from posting. It is my opinion to keep the car, as you said you would do, there`s just not much out that is as unique as the sol. Either V8 or get a newer LE5 and supercharge it, or throw in an LNF!
thanks for the update
Bert

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Ya not me, but nice to see you back here after a 3 year hiatus from posting. It is my opinion to keep the car, as you said you would do, there`s just not much out that is as unique as the sol. Either V8 or get a newer LE5 and supercharge it, or throw in an LNF!
thanks for the update
Bert
An LE5 to LNF swap would be harder than a V8 swap

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nope, can't beat you...got mine 10/23/05.

But, in 10 years mine has never been wet. No rain...no wash. Just a duster and detailer. 52,000 miles of pure pleasure!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
You've got me beat, I'm 10/3/2005, #741!

Replaced the rear differential at 8500 miles under warranty.
Pinion Seal recall on the replaced diff.
Ignition recall done.
Rear window reglued. Warranty
Replaced top windshield seal and side window seals. Warranty
Added ProBeam and BackBone.
Replaced Catalytic Converter. Warranty
Plus the normal maintenance stuff.

Mileage now: ~46,000 miles.

:dthumbs:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, can't beat you...got mine 10/23/05.

But, in 10 years mine has never been wet. No rain...no wash. Just a duster and detailer. 52,000 miles of pure pleasure!
Nice!! Mine's wet right now. Life has gotten harder since we moved to Discovery Bay for the Solstice. For the time being, I have lost the garage and she sits outside in 300+ days of sunshine. Today is one of those very rare days it is raining a little.

Yours must still have clear headlights! Also my Pontiac arrowhead on the front is delaminating and looking kind of lame. My top has recently developed some sort of brown looking stains around where the bows are. One might guess they are the result of rust forming on the bows underneath, but the bows don't have any rust on them. I haven't tried to scrub it off, or treat it with anything yet. Anybody else have goofy brown spots on their black tops? Maybe later I'll put up some pictures of it.

Anyhow, I have a plan to get the car back inside. I just need to install a car lift in my big garage, then the Solstice can come back inside.

·
Registered
281 Posts
From the original post "After ten years and 90,000 miles, I thought I would comment on the car that Consumer's Reports thought was just about the worst car in America that you could buy-".

Every car I've ever loved was seemingly hated by Consumer Reports, R&T, Car and Driver...go figure. We now have two Solstices we loved them so much! :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I was wondering that as I was typing, never heard of anyone doing this, I`ll search but ask here anyway, WHY?

Bert
I would guess only because nobody has developed a DIY kit, parts list, or instructions for doing that yet. You would have to do a lot of research and collect a lot parts on your own. My understanding is, the V8 swaps are pretty much all figured out for you and all you have to do is order the parts and instructions, or drop your car off at one of the shops that do it.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
You've got me by 5 years. I noticed the Solstice as soon as it was released, but it never interested me enough to buy until the GXP coupes came out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Obviously none of the Sky owners can compete with this group...:D

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've got me by 5 years. I noticed the Solstice as soon as it was released, but it never interested me enough to buy until the GXP coupes came out.
That's a great collector's item! Hang on to it! A great car cut down in it's prime. I have ever seen one Solstice coupe on the road... ever. Maybe the dealers out in California just never got their allotment, I don't know, but you just don't see them here in California anywhere. Has anybody ever put a V8 in a coupe? That would really turn some heads!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ordered mine August 2005 and came in January 2006.
Car has just over 35,000 miles now. Since I also have a 2009 coupe ( bought it in September 2012), only putting on about 2500 miles on each.

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
"old lady" has the 3rd envious ever built (#18) and it is still in her possession
was delivered mid August 2005

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"old lady" has the 3rd envious ever built (#18) and it is still in her possession
was delivered mid August 2005
Nice!! I guess she has me beat. Does she still post here?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts