Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on their Sol, of course ;)

Really curious to see what kind of mass can be shed on this car, and I'm hoping that some have started to venture down this road. If so, kindly share what can be done!

Since this would be strictly a Spring/Summer car for me, I'd be willing to lose the top in it's entirety, and with that, the A/C might as well go also. Of course a wheel change is often good for a decent chunk. A lightweight battery should be good for about 20 lbs...

I've manged to get a couple hundred pounds off of my MINI, and it's been well worth the effort.

Thanks much for sharing!

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The muffler is one of the items that needs replacing.
When you do a CAI the two resonator boxes and their weight are gone.
The cast Iron header when replace by the Shorty stainless by Clear Image saves a few more lbs.
Carbon Fiber rear diffuser.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply!

Resonator as in the exhaust system? Boy, it's hard for me to imagine an intake mod that entails the removal of something on the exhaust side... Any good photos of what you are referring to, and any weight deltas?

I'm guessing that top and related equipement and hardware must be good for at least 40 pounds, possibly much more. A/C maybe 20+, lighter battery 20+, lighter wheels maybe another 20 (5 lbs x 4), and that would be at least 100 right there...

Curious to hear what can be lost on the exhaust side, as you said. I'm betting another 20 pounds, if not more. Headers, from my previous experiences (4-bangers) might only be a few lbs... A lightened flywheel should be good for 10+ savings...

I can see 120-150 pounds as being realistic without having to gut the interior a la a full race-prep car.

Lighter rotors (w/ alum hats) and calipers can probably save about 5 lbs per corner... so 20 more pounds. Hollow sway bars (larger diameter & stiffer) should be good for at least 10 more pounds. It looks like a 200 pound loss is conceivable, a maybe more, again without leaving this beauty with a gutted look...

Is there already a CF rear diffuser?

And, has anyone actually weighed their Sol yet? If so, please share, and if the gas tank was full, half, or what...

I'm sure there must someone out there who doing this to their Sol! ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clarification. I sort of thought so, but the sentence before was referring to the exhaust system, so I wasn't certain...

Time to look for some more shots of the engine bay...

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
What class are looking into running in?

All this will certainly put the lighter weight car into one of the upper classes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I just a lost a long, well-detailed reply!!! :(

I'll be brief... No plans to race at the moment. Just seeking an improved weight to hp ratio w/o disrupting the wonderful balance of this car.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
There are 2 plastic boxes attached to the intake system on our cars, if you replace the OEM system with a CAI, the 2 boxes are no longer there.
RKSport sells a Carbon Fiber diffuser for our cars, he is one of our supporting vendors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for info. I just went to their website via the banner atop this page, and used the drop-down menu to find the Solstice. I guess it's not up on the web yet as I didn't see it...

That's ok, I'll hunt it down... Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like to corner-balance with a 1/4 tank of gas typically, and my weight, or me included, in the driver's seat.

My MINI is at just about 2,400 lbs, with a 1/4 tank of gas, and it looks like I can get it down a few pounds lower...

I was hoping (and maybe it's wishful thinking) that the Sol could be dropped to 2,500 lbs, but without knowing what the top weighs, I really have no idea...

If anyone has weighed their Solstice, kindly share. Need to have a base point for reference purposes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The Solstice fully loaded and a full tank of car is 2890lbs.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Hey TONY B!

Former MINI owner here.

Former MINI Organization Founder here.

Current Solstice owner.

Anyhow, there are CF hoods and trunks coming SOOOOOOON!

There are a lot of areas you can reduce the weight in this car. Remove all trunk interior and maybe the top.... if you plan to go topless 24/7

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roadstar, if you frequented the MINI forums, our paths might have crossed before!

It sounds like there are some possibilites to lose weight, but with the Sol relatively new, it will take more time.

As folks swap-out parts, or remove them, kindly share what they weigh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just as I hit the reply button... Peter of M7 called! I explained the situation here, and he guessed who you might be. First name start with a "D"? ;)

Well, if you, or anyone else here starts down this path serioulsy, I hope folks will share here so this thread will serve as source of information for all of us...

·
Banned
265 Posts
TonyB said:
Just as I hit the reply button... Peter of M7 called! I explained the situation here, and he guessed who you might be. First name start with a "D"? ;)

Well, if you, or anyone else here starts down this path serioulsy, I hope folks will share here so this thread will serve as source of information for all of us...
Yea hahahah That's me.

Gotta love the crazy Swede.
I'm actually talking to him in regards to our fun projects.
Anyhow.

Regarding weight reduction....
Seeing how close the 50/50 ratio is on the Solstice, I will assume that when weight is reduced in, for example, the front end, we should equalize the weight and remove it from the opposite end. Only to help maintain the balance of the car.

If the car's weight distorts too much, I might consider ballasting in the center a bit, an equal balance of weight that was reduced, but placed nearest the center of gravity. Which may also lower the center of gravity of the Solstice, thusly enhancing it's handling.

OR I could be so off that it's amusing!:willy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I shared the Sol with Peter a couple years back, so I've been trying to hook him for a while now... He likes it, but prefers the Sky more... No doubt, it would be great to have him onboard here also!

I know, I asked already, but do you have any idea what the top weighs, including any correspoding hardware and components?

·
Banned
265 Posts
He likes the SKY now?????

Hahah we were debating over it once and could not come to a conclusion...
The sexiness and curves of the solstice topped the Sky during our last discussion at AMVIV.

Curb weight is advertised at 2860lbs.
I'm going to guess and say the roof and all it's stuff would weigh in near 80lbs.
Bringing the advertised curbweight down near 2780lbs

As I mentioned earlier, I've got a lead on CF hoods and Trunklids....
Stay tuned as I should have weights on these sometime soon.

***Mallard... thanks... a lot.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Roadstar said:
He likes the SKY now?????

Hahah we were debating over it once and could not come to a conclusion...
The sexiness and curves of the solstice topped the Sky during our last discussion at AMVIV.

Curb weight is advertised at 2860lbs.
I'm going to guess and say the roof and all it's stuff would weigh in near 80lbs.
Bringing the advertised curbweight down near 1980lbs

As I mentioned earlier, I've got a lead on CF hoods and Trunklids....
Stay tuned as I should have weights on these sometime soon.
You may want to check you math.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts